PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pot Roast visiting - (UPDATED - He's Reportedly Joining the Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're both DT's. They're definitely comparable players. We're not talking DT and CB here...

Fairley is pass-rushing DT and they lost out on him and immediately turned to Knighton, who by your admission is a run-stuffing DT, so clearly the Patriots see them as very comparable.

Knighton's a 1-technique and Melton's a 3-technique. They're 'comparable' insofar as one could be used to play the other position in a pinch but they don't fill the same role. Fairley has played both 1- and 3-technique over his career, including with the Lions when Suh played 3-technique and last year where he mostly rotated for Brockers though played both positions.

Based on these visits, Belichick clearly thinks 1-technique is a place that needs to be strengthened, since Hicks and Siliga both filled that role on last year's squad after Easley was hurt and Brown became entrenched as the starter at the 3-technique, since he can play all along the line. The Patriots also signed Frank Kearse, who I know little about but is said to have versatility to play the 3-technique.

The current depth chart looks like this (I'm only putting this in the base 4-3):

UT: Easley, Jones, Kearse
NT: Brown, Branch, Kitchen

Brown's got versatility at both positions and will play NT if Easley's healthy, but who knows if Easley will ever be healthy. Without Easley, the depth chart looks like:

UT: Brown, Jones, Kearse
NT: Branch, Kitchen

Probably an okay rotation at the UT (Jones is at least replacement-level), but the Branch/Kitchen rotation is a significant step down from the Hicks/Branch/Siliga rotation we had last season. There's certainly room for two rotational defensive tackles, but unless you're comfortable with Kitchen playing 20%+ of defensive snaps this season, the 1-technique is definitely the more pressing positional need. Hence why Knighton and Fairley have been the targets.

After Knighton and Melton, some remaining defensive tackles are:

UT: Jason Jones, Jason Hatcher, Randy Starks, Mike DeVito, Antonio Smith, Billy Winn
NT: Tony McDaniel (has played both), Kevin Williams (same), Cam Thomas, Kyle Love, Dwan Edwards

The cupboard is pretty bare.

Why would he even visit here if he felt that way, who doesn't know NE rotates their DL?

It's an odd thing to say. He's been a rotational player his whole career. He never played more than 50% of snaps.

For what it's worth, Reiss reported that the Patriots were in on Siliga before he signed with Seattle. They're clearly not happy with their depth at 1-technique heading into the draft. Which isn't surprising, given that after Brown it's a 32 year old Alan Branch and Ishmai'ily Kitchen, and Brown will likely be playing a lot at the 3-technique.

I dont think he knows what rotational is... But i guess that doesnt bode well for a future here either

For the record, there's a difference between telling a player that he'll be playing in a rotation because of how your team works the position, and telling a player that he's just a rotational player.

I doubt BB said that

If your post is referring to mine, I was addressing my point to the posters here. I have no idea what went down in the Knighton/Patriots meeting.

Side question: do we think Kitchen is any good?

I doubt BB said that

Ya have a hard time seeing Bill bringing him and saying "You are a rotational player only"

If that tweet is a shot at the Pats my guess is the word rotational was mentioned and he immediately equated rotational to backup. Yet failing to realize he's been a rotational player his whole career and will continue to be a rotational player.

I don't know maybe he needs his ego stroked by a team and needs to hear the word "starter". Which in NE you could still be a starter and rotational.

Wow, never seen anything like this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand