PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Bowl Game All Star Games

Tony Pauline runs down the Senior Bowl scuttlebutt after 3 days of practices:

The final day of full pads practice is in the books as NFL teams begin the mass exodus from Mobile, Alabama. As they leave the buzz is filtering out who scouts liked as well as who they did not. Here’s a look.

-We’ve been told the Buffalo Bills are not as high on Ryan Nassib as most presume. In fact we’ve heard their scouts don’t even rank him as the best quarterback in Mobile.

- A quarterback coach we trust in made a fair point on Mike Glennon’s first round potential; teams will have to decide whether or not he’s coachable and a quick learner. If those answers turn out to be affirmative then he will be a first round pick.

- Scouts told us the players who helped themselves the most the past three days were Lane Johnson/T/Oklahoma, Ezekial Ansah/DE/BYU, Leon McFaddenCB/San Diego State and Quinton Patton/WR/Louisiana Tech.

- On the flip side the consensus is Chase Thomas/LB/Stanford and Braxston Cave/C/Notre Dame were the two players who have watched their stock plummet.

- TJ McDonald/S/USC is being described by some scouts as a “better version of Taylor Mays”.

- Teams loved the play of Datone Jones/DL/UCLA during Senior Bowl practices but think he won’t be selected early in the draft. The feeling is he has no real position at the next level and is a hard schematic fit. Right now most say third round.

- As we’ve been writing all week, Markus Wheaton/Oregon State and Marquise Goodwin/Texas, were both big winners at the receiver position.

- Scouts have said Desmond Trufant/CB/Washington is a lock first round pick. Will Davis/CB/Utah State is being graded as a fourth rounder with Jamar Taylor/CB/Boise State a third round pick. Phillip Thomas/S/Fresno State is graded as a second round choice.

- A few scouts have said Justin Pugh/OL/Syracuse best projects to guard at the next level and will be a third round choice.

- Unless things change most scouts have graded Denard Robinson/WR/Michigan, as a last day pick.

Senior Bowl Notes

With today's signing of Armstead, I'm a little less inclined to want Datone Jones, because I think they're similar base LE and subpackage DT players.

I do, however, want Cornelius Washington (mentioned on last page) more than ever. He's the guy I want in these subpackages when Armstead moves inside. (Although, that's probably Ninkovich's role this coming season).

Are you really surprised by this? He's still very raw - an incredible physical specimen, but very raw.

I haven't been watching closely (but my DVR has) but I think Manx is on point. One thing to consider is how little he's bee used as a rush end at BYU.

Tony Pauline runs down the Senior Bowl scuttlebutt after 3 days of practices:

The final day of full pads practice is in the books as NFL teams begin the mass exodus from Mobile, Alabama. As they leave the buzz is filtering out who scouts liked as well as who they did not. Here’s a look.

-We’ve been told the Buffalo Bills are not as high on Ryan Nassib as most presume. In fact we’ve heard their scouts don’t even rank him as the best quarterback in Mobile.

- A quarterback coach we trust in made a fair point on Mike Glennon’s first round potential; teams will have to decide whether or not he’s coachable and a quick learner. If those answers turn out to be affirmative then he will be a first round pick.

- Scouts told us the players who helped themselves the most the past three days were Lane Johnson/T/Oklahoma, Ezekial Ansah/DE/BYU, Leon McFaddenCB/San Diego State and Quinton Patton/WR/Louisiana Tech.

Patton has looked amazing. I haven't like what I've seen from Terrance Williams. Little suddenness or burst, but he's has the most experience running option routes and a no huddle offense.

- On the flip side the consensus is Chase Thomas/LB/Stanford and Braxston Cave/C/Notre Dame were the two players who have watched their stock plummet.

- TJ McDonald/S/USC is being described by some scouts as a “better version of Taylor Mays”.

Ha! He better be!

- Teams loved the play of Datone Jones/DL/UCLA during Senior Bowl practices but think he won’t be selected early in the draft. The feeling is he has no real position at the next level and is a hard schematic fit. Right now most say third round.

Those are pretty much my exact thoughts on him.

- As we’ve been writing all week, Markus Wheaton/Oregon State and Marquise Goodwin/Texas, were both big winners at the receiver position.

- Scouts have said Desmond Trufant/CB/Washington is a lock first round pick. Will Davis/CB/Utah State is being graded as a fourth rounder with Jamar Taylor/CB/Boise State a third round pick. Phillip Thomas/S/Fresno State is graded as a second round choice.

Good. Hopefully he can push others down to us.

- A few scouts have said Justin Pugh/OL/Syracuse best projects to guard at the next level and will be a third round choice.

- Unless things change most scouts have graded Denard Robinson/WR/Michigan, as a last day pick.

Senior Bowl Notes

My thoughts are bolded.

Damn!

Most likely gone by the #29 overall selection:

Lane Johnson (if Sebastian Vollmer departs via unrestricted free agency)

Desmond Trufant (cornerback insurance if Glass-IR Dowling busts out)

I'm not holding out any hope for Glass-IR whatsoever since he lost the starting cornerback position to Kyle Arrington during training camp last August.

Why?

The New England Patriots have the #59 overall selection in the second round.

WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Order

So that nobody selects him right in front of you. Just because some draft guide has them at 73 doesn't mean they last that long. It's not fantasy world. It's about acquiring a player whom you think can really fill a hole.

id take markus wheaton or quinton patton at 59 for sure

So that nobody selects him right in front of you. Just because some draft guide has them at 73 doesn't mean they last that long. It's not fantasy world. It's about acquiring a player whom you think can really fill a hole.
Negative!

Too many holes on the current New England Patriots roster to fill:

Wide Receiver
Offensive Tackle (especially if Sebastian Vollmer departs via unrestricted free agency)
Safety
Cornerback

If they're on the board around 50, do you give up a three to get one if we get a four in return? A two and three. for a higher two and four??

Yes absolutely. For that value, these are the two best WR's available that fit the Patriots needs. Wheaton has that quickness that the Pats like but also has the long speed. He upgrades Lloyd. Patton is another that's been described like Reggie Wayne. That seems to have been a popular comparison this year, but whatever, he's a receiver that runs good routes, gets open and is an excellent catcher of the ball.

There's not a great difference between a 3 and a four this year, and in your scenario, we're probably only dropping 20 places or so from the 3rd to 4th. Regardless of whether we sign Welker or not, we need our future at WR to be more settled.

Shane P. Hallam
‏@ShanePHallam
Quinton Patton to be honest RT @realABC: @ShanePHallam which offensive skill position player have you been most impressed with this week?

I think he's a slider now, but will be a riser at the combine.

If Chandler Jones rose into the 1st based predominantly on his length, I don't see how Ansah falls out when he combines that length with better athleticism.

If Chandler Jones rose into the 1st based predominantly on his length, I don't see how Ansah falls out when he combines that length with better athleticism.

I don't see Ansah falling out of the first round by any means. I thnk that teams will be divided - some will see the glass as mostly full due to his athleticism and upside, and some will see it being more empty due to his lack of development and potential length to impact. I'm pretty sure someone will take the plunge on him in the first round, and I'd have no problem with the Pats doing it at 29 if he lasts that long. But I wouldn't expect him to come in and be an immediate impact player. JPP wasn't, and he was more developed than Ansah.

Now if the long term plan is a 4-3 with Armstead bulking up, and you play Armstead/Ninkovich outside in 2013 while Ansah develops, and then in 2014 you go Ansah-Wilfork-Armstead-Jones, that works for me.

I think Ansah showed exactly what he is at the Senior Bowl: exactly how freakishly athletic and potentially dominant he can be, and exactly how technically raw he is. The only question is where that puts him in terms of his draft stock.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back