PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Bowl Game All Star Games

I just got to watch day 1 of the North practices so I'll share some of my thoughts.

Standout players:

Datone Jones- DE- UCLA
Explosive, violent hands, moves well for his size, dominant in 1 on 1's. Plays DE but I would bulk him up a bit more and move him inside.

Kawann Short- DT- Purdue
Flashed dominance inside, good size, violent hands. I think he tried a little too hard in 1 on 1's and lost his technique, but should play well in the game.

Sylvester Williams- DT- UNC
Like Short, I think he tried a little too hard in 1 on 1's and lost some technique, be he also showed the ability to penetrate inside. A very good pass rushing DT but we already knew that. What he does against the run will be the telling factor.

Eric Fisher- OT- Central Michigan
Easily the top OT in the group, was dominant in most 1 on 1's. Showed why he will be a top 20 pick.

David Quessenberry- San Jose State
I thought he held his own inside, battled well and competed

WR- Markus Wheaton- Oregon State
Competed better than any other WR and had some great battles. Easily the top WR on the North squad.

Desmond Trufant- Washington
May have given away a few penalties in a game situation but he was physical and battled on every play. I don't mind the penalties because of the way he competed hard and didn't give an inch.

Jordan Poyer- Oregon State
Like Trufant, he competed harder than any of the other North DB's. Physical at the line against Wheaton, solid on coverage in 1 on 1's.

Sciz has Datone Jones as one of his favourite prospects and I've just put him in my mock in the first round. So these three tweets are interesting:

If scouts didn't know Eric Fisher was elite, after today they do. Stud pass blocker. Best OT performance thus far in my 3 years here.

https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/293758964250861568

Eric Fisher is amazing. Only got beat twice, both by Datone Jones at the end of the drill. What a battle. #CentralMichigan #Ucla

Datone Jones (UCLA DL) only one giving Eric Fisher some trouble. Good leg drive, nice rip inside after initial push.Speaks volumes for Jones

https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/293760284571607041

Ugh, I hate when my guys increase their stock! Why can't they just suck for a week?

Ugh, I hate when my guys increase their stock! Why can't they just suck for a week?

I've had that feeling for a while now. Frustrating but you get used to it :)

This Eric Fisher could be shaking up the top of the draft. Looks outstanding.

Wheaton's looking fantastic as WR - class above the other WR's and winning all his match ups against the CB's. Trufant and Jamar Taylor are the pick of the CB's. Worry that Jame Taylor is too physical though. Will get flagged if he plays like he practices. Disappointed by Wreh-Wilson.

David Quessenberry is looking really good at OG and Datone Jones is turning in to a dream pick, albeit increasingly unrealistic. Was just doing a full mock and I think he'd be perfect for the Seahawks. Starting to really like Jones though.

I had Jones as my first pick in my last draft, great to see him doing well.

Him or Armstead(or both!) would be awesome.

Lane Johnson excellent in 1 on 1's. Thought Gilkey did well in pass pro too. Aboushi looked poor and impressed with Cal OC Brian Sweinke. Ziggy had a nice spin move on Aboushi.

The two smaller school DB's Alford and Webb looked good and Mcfadden also looks good. Falling out of love with Terrance Williams but Tavaris King runs really nice routes and Quinton Patton is the best South WR.

Ziggy has been very disappointing in practice. Has no pass rush moves at all.

Terron Armstead has been called up (yay!). Just pancaked Cornelius Washington who has been the most athletic DE on show so far.

We've got one Armstead on board, now lets make it two.

Ziggy has been very disappointing in practice. Has no pass rush moves at all.

Terron Armstead has been called up (yay!). Just pancaked Cornelius Washington who has been the most athletic DE on show so far.

We've got one Armstead on board, now lets make it two.
He's another guy I like. I think he's going to be a much better player in the NFL than he was in college.

He's another guy I like. I think he's going to be a much better player in the NFL than he was in college.

His speed compared to other linemen has been really noticeable. Much faster.

His speed compared to other linemen has been really noticeable. Much faster.
Well, it was reported a year ago that he ran a 4.29 40. While that's absolutely ridiculous, you have to be awfully fast for someone to screw up enough to get that low.

NFL Draft Risers and Fallers - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Jonathan Cyprien, SS - Florida International is someone to watch in the future.

The New England Patriots desperately need to upgrade the safety position:

Patrick Chung - gone
Steve Gregory - needs to go
Tavon Wilson - dime back/special teams
Nate Ebner - special teams
Malcolm Williams - practice squad/special teams

Yep, that's the Georgia defense. Washington's frame and style of play remind me of Mark Anderson. Probably a similar player in the NFL.

Yep, that's the Georgia defense. Washington's frame and style of play remind me of Mark Anderson. Probably a similar player in the NFL.
I can see that. And I don't care if he's not a starter, because the 4th/5th round is where situational pass rushers should be taken, even if the Seahawks disagree.

Ziggy has been very disappointing in practice. Has no pass rush moves.

Are you really surprised by this? He's still very raw - an incredible physical specimen, but very raw.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back