PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian takes swipe at Pats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just listend to the pole cat (polian) repeat this on the serius nfl, if you haven't heard him its a lot worse than reading it. Theres a lot of derision/hate in his voice when talking about the pats. I know this is subjective but he sounds like he goes out of his way to bring up the '07 season. Hes starts out talking about the 72 fins then brings up the pats when there is no need.

I just listend to the pole cat (polian) repeat this on the serius nfl, if you haven't heard him its a lot worse than reading it. Theres a lot of derision/hate in his voice when talking about the pats. I know this is subjective but he sounds like he goes out of his way to bring up the '07 season. Hes starts out talking about the 72 fins then brings up the pats when there is no need.

Agreed. All joking and kidding aside, he does come accross as an arrogant, jaded person who thinks he is 100% right on everything.

Does anyone know the number to call Polian's radio show? How awesome would it be if a bunch of Pats call up his show to rag on him? :D

Does anyone know the number to call Polian's radio show? How awesome would it be if a bunch of Pats call up his show to rag on him? :D

Probably wouldn't get through the screeners though. :mad:

Agreed. All joking and kidding aside, he does come accross as an arrogant, jaded person who thinks he is 100% right on everything.

This time his arrogance may catch up with him if the dolts don't win the SB. How can he sit on the competition committie after hes done something like this. I've been listening to sirius all week this isn't going away, to many teams were affected.

Probably wouldn't get through the screeners though. :mad:

Well, as long as you mask your New England accent (or find a Pats fan that's not from the NE area) you should be okay.

Last edited:
Well, as long as you mask your New England accent (or find a Pats fan that's not from the NE area) you should be okay.

Then I'll volunteer my services. :D Course, Indiana people have stronger accents than those of us in Wisconsin, dontcha know!

If you boil his logic down on 16--0 and 19--0, it is that since the Dolphins already achieved an undefeated Regular Season and Full Season, neither would have been "historic."

On the 16--0, you might be able to stretch logic to see his point, since the Pats just duplicated an undefeated regular season at the 16--0 level just two years ago.

But, there's really no way you can argue that going 19--0, something no team had ever done, wouldn't have been "historic," so I conclude he's just spinning his decision for an angry fan base and an angry group of players. But his argument makes no sense on its face.

The rest is pure appeasement.

The record for consecutive regular season wins is a fair point for him to make. The Patriots were proud of that record when they held it and the Colts should be now that they hold it. Hats off to them for that and no bull-**** about strength of schedule.

The second record that he cites is "most games won this decade."

This is totally a fabricated construct that the Colts have spun with the aid of the national media.

He doesn't say "most regular season games won this decade," which is what they have accomplished (and, at that, by at most a three game margin over the Pats out of 160 games played). As has been stated out here ad nauseam, it is the Pats who have the "most games won this decade."

Polian is a smart guy, so he doesn't try to claim "most regular season games won in a decade."

Because, then he would have to contend with the Dallas Cowboys of the 1970's who won 105 games, but who played eight seasons of only 14 games. If you apply the Cowboy's Winning Percentage for the decade to 16 additional games, they would have won 12 more games, giving them 117 for the decade, more than the Colts can theoretically win in the 2000's.

Then, someone would be smart enough to point out that a "Decade" is a construct of the calendar and that the record for the most regular season games won in a 10 year period (last time I checked, that's what a decade is) is held by the 1989--1998 San Francisco 49'ers, who won an astounding 123 games!

So, the most games won this decade is a pure construct and hardly "historical", but, of course, no one in the National Media has the cojones to point it out, certainly not a Profile in Courage like Boston's own Bob Ryan who gets a regular slot on HSPN.

Finally, for what it's worth, Indy is a relatively small NFL market. An overlooked fact is that the city and state are struggling financially to continue to subsidize Polian's new stadium, as the industrial Indiana taxbase shrinks or at best grows very slowly. The fans who are angry over the Colts not going for "perfection" are also potentially angry taxpayers and angry voters. He's trying to appease them.

Polian proves he has no nuts, just like his team, the Geldings.

How can he sit on the competition committie after hes done something like this. .

I hate to admit it, but Bill Polian, however he went about consolidating his power has a ton of it in the league.

If he left the Colts, teams would line up to have him run their football operation.

I hate to admit it, but Bill Polian, however he went about consolidating his power has a ton of it in the league.

If he left the Colts, teams would line up to have him run their football operation.

Sad, but true.

I wouldn't mind seeing him go to an NFC team so we'd only have to deal with his BS once every 4 years.

Re: Polian takes swipe at pats..

Well said.

If you can't appreciate the 2007 season for what it was, you're not a real fan and you can GTFO the bandwagon now, thanks.

A real fan is when you support your team when it has a 2-14 record....

I still think that, even if nice, the 2007 season was unsuccessful since we lost the SB.

But they are so proud of wining the most regular season games this decade and don’t count total games won in the decade where the Patriots have the lead. How could this be, it sounds hypocritical.

Agreed, this statement irks me to no end.

But not only that, how foolish does he sound,

The most wins in a decade (excluding playoffs) has historical significance but not an undefeated season?

In thirty years will anyone know or even care to ponder who won the most games in the 2000's? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

Do you think teams would still talk about an undefeated team? Of course they would, and that's why we still know about the 72 Dolphins.

I still think that, even if nice, the 2007 season was unsuccessful since we lost the SB.

A real fan is someone who has a favorite team and cheers for it when he/she deems it appropriate. There is no requirement to put up with a crappy product.

A real fan is someone who has a favorite team and cheers for it when he/she deems it appropriate. There is no requirement to put up with a crappy product.

Just out of curiosity, how do you then differentiate between a "real fan" and a bandwagon one?

A real fan doesn't call "18-1" a waste because it didn't end in a Super Bowl. A real fan doesn't say "I don't want to remember that season" because it didn't end in a Super Bowl. A real fan appreciates that the players put their hearts out there, sacrificed blood, sweat and tears through 19 games to try to bring something special to this once moribund franchise.

A real fan can live with the ups and the downs, even if the downs are as heart-breaking as losing a perfect season, or going 0-16, or if the ups are barely beating the Goliath in the first Super Bowl of the decade.

I'm sick of the *****ing about 2007. Interpret my comments as bullying or judgmental or "aggressive", but I stand by this. It is offensive to say 2007 wasn't special just because it didn't end in a Super Bowl. And that's why I think it's a bandwagon position to poo-poo their achievement.

Because you know what? As much as you (HYPOTHETICAL "YOU") might have been hurt by the loss at the end of the season, it wasn't YOU who was out on the field that night and had his heart ripped out in front of millions. Next time you dismiss 2007, remember whose face you're really spitting in.

Gah, whatever.

The perfect QB of all times, the best player that ever plays the game and the super-hero Peyton Manning is 7-7 at PO and 80 rating

Say no more

Is Polian including Pre-Season games in his equation? Just sayin'

Just out of curiosity, how do you then differentiate between a "real fan" and a bandwagon one?

How I look at fans*:

Fairweather fan - someone who roots for the winner, regardless of who it is

Bandwagon fan - someone who's a fan, but only roots when the team is playing well

Pink hat fan - someone who's into the experience of being a fan and there for the social benefits, rather than someone who's a devoted fan of the team.

Typical fan - someone who follows a team with varying levels of interest for reasons that go beyond wins and losses. They will frequently find other things to do when the team is struggling for an extended period of time, and they are the canaries in the coal mine when it comes to health of a sports league or team. The majority of fans fit into this category.

Hardcore fan - someone who follows a team through the ups and downs, with little difference in the level of passion over the long term. He/she may have huge issues with the team, but they'll put up with almost anything in the hope that the team will figure it out. A lot of Cubs fans fall in to this category, and Bruins fans fell into this categories for a long time, until they'd finally had enough.

Homer - someone who obsesses about his/her team, who generally can't accept any level of criticism of the team, and who's loyalty is really just to the idea of team. This is the sort of person who loves Asante Samuel until the very day he leaves the team, and then calls him names for the rest of his life.

*These are generalized categories, and there are many people that don't fall neatly into any of these categories. This is not intended to be an exhaustive breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST