PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian takes swipe at Pats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Polian says losing the Super Bowl is worse than goin 2-14

Not a big Polian fan here, but he is clearly attributing that proposition to "the pundits", with whom, it appears, he does not agree. Personally, I agree with the pundits. I don't ever remember feeling sick like I did after SB XVII during the Rod Rust/**** Macpherson years.

Last edited:
I will admit that the Colts have considerably less pressure now that they have lost a game but it they come out flat in their first playoff game and the lose Jim Caldwell will have a ****storm of epic proportions on his hands.

I will admit that the Colts have considerably less pressure now that they have lost a game but it they come out flat in their first playoff game and the lose Jim Caldwell will have a ****storm of epic proportions on his hands.

I think the pressure is actually more now in the playoffs. They threw the game to win the SB as if you could control this somehow. My guess is they play the Jets in the 1st playoff game as I think the Jets can beat the Bengals. If I were the Jets I would put 10 standing on the line and go after Manning every play. Knock him out and win the game. 15 yard penalties for knocking him around are probably less than the usual 40 yards at a whack the reffs give the Colts on Phantom PI calls.

The Chickens don't have less pressure by any means. They have a different pressure.
Win it all or forever be tarnished as quitters who ran from history.

Disagree. The public ****storm is immense now, as you rarely get more than one chance at perfection and the Colts organization were sissy's who couldn't hack it.

Only a Superbowl will do now.

The Colts didnt "throw" the game to "win" the superbowl, They did it to stay healthy, If Peyton went down against the Jets Defense or against the Bills this week the Colts would be in deep ****. Now if the Colts come out flat and lose in the first round than yes, questions will come up. If they win and end up losing to the Chargers or US in the AFCG, nobody will question if they were "out of sync".

The Colts didnt "throw" the game to "win" the superbowl, They did it to stay healthy, If Peyton went down against the Jets Defense or against the Bills this week the Colts would be in deep ****. Now if the Colts come out flat and lose in the first round than yes, questions will come up. If they win and end up losing to the Chargers or US in the AFCG, nobody will question if they were "out of sync".
There is absolutely no way you can honestly support the stance that the Colts kept starters "healthy" given the myriad of ways one can injure themselves in the course of normal daily life. The probability of injury in game is minimal sitting on the sideline, but unless the Colts plan of keeping their players in a controlled environment between games, it's codswallop.

After seeing someone tear their meniscus simply getting out of a car, this explanation has no credence in my mind.

The point I fail to hear from either side of this issue is how the starters who have to play feel. With the 45 man roster several starters on both sides of the ball will have to play, even if the stated goal of the team is to "rest their starters" You can't rest them all....or even most of them. So when you do that, aren't you basically telling the those that have to play that THEY aren't that important.

BOTTOM LINE, its definitely not good for chemestry. I can see resting injured players who would fight through the pain for a playoff game, but if you are healthy, you should play,

This is pretty off topic, but how are you "a Gator fan first" and yet have an Alabama "roll tide" avatar? I ask this because I'm a diehard Gator fan and would NEVER, EVER root for Alabama.

To me, 16-0 is something that makes one go "hmmmm". Just like whatever hell record for consecutive regular season games won Indy broke off the Pats this year. Hmmm, interesting. Or the other "big" record polian was talking up tonight about winning the most games in a decade. Interesting, to be sure.

19-0 is in a different stratosphere. THAT is the brass ring. THAT is the legacy that would last decades. Winning a second SB in a decade just doesn't separate their organization from the others in American cultural history.

19-0? That's Babe Ruth. That's Bill Russell. That's being remembered when all is said and done.

I'm with Shmessy and Belize Pats. I'll put it like this. I thought that what the Pats achieved that year was very impressive- we were a minute or so away from 19-0 and, more importantly, winning the Superbowl.

However, my personal preference is for my team to win the Superbowl with a 9-7 record, rather than go 18-1 and break records. I'll take a guess that the Pats players think the same way. The Superbowl is the ultimate prize, I think, for all players.

19-0 and 16-0 for me are completely different. The reason is that 19-0 means winning all games you play in an NFL season, whereas 16-0 means you have won the first 16 but not necessarily any in the playoffs. For the record, that is not to denigrate what the team did. It is a very impressive achievement. In fact, winning any game in the NFL is impressive because of how much sacrifice, hard work, physical pain and stress the players and staff have to endure to make it to the NFL.

Re: Polian takes swipe at pats..

Just because you think it wasn't worthless doesn't mean you are right to think that.

No, it's not applicable at all. Someone gives you a gift out of love, desire, or a feeling of necessity/duty. The Patriots played football for money, with a side benefit of people witnessing the season. The reason we would call the person complaining about the ring ungrateful is because we make assumptions about the intent behind the giving, and because you made it an expensive ring.

Or, to put it another way, if a multi-millionaire gives you gifts worth thousands of dollars every weekend for months, and he then drops a $50 diamond from the Zales clearance bin on you at Christmas, a very common and understandable reaction on the part of the gift receiver is going to be bemused annoyance coupled with disgusted disappointment.

Guys, please! Can we PLEASE leave the good people of Zales out of this!?!

Re: Polian takes swipe at pats..

By definition, in sheer monetary value, it wasn't worthless. By definition, in sheer support and following, it wasn't worthless...the point of the metaphor...was that something of value was given. Regardless of what value in total you evaluate it at, it was something material given that you are washing away as if it was worthless, which is inherently ungracious. This is basic logic and math.

"Simple logic" doesn't apply. Let's say you go to a massage parlor and are expecting a happy ending - which never materializes. DaedalusX would leave the massage parlor happy with the events leading up to the disappointing ending - some others would not. Some would be greatly disappointed and would like to forget the whole mess (even as they acknowledge there was pleasure leading up to the disastrous non-ending). Or put another way, let's say you took one of those beautiful helicopter rides over a Hawaiian volcano but your copter crashed on the way back leaving you paralyzed - some may be inclined to choose to forget the pleasant experience prior to the crash. I guess they should be considered ingrates?

Last edited:
There's only one truly relevant fact here:

The Patriots had the Balls to go for History... the Colts did not.

End of debate.

This is pretty off topic, but how are you "a Gator fan first" and yet have an Alabama "roll tide" avatar? I ask this because I'm a diehard Gator fan and would NEVER, EVER root for Alabama.

I dont understand how you could ever root against an SEC team against a Big Twelve team. Bama fans were pulling for us last year so Im returning the favor.

with the crap Indy pulled yesterday, the pressure is back on:D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes