PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian is spot on. Expect some major curveballs

Agree he seems like at worst his foor is Alex Smith we can compete with that.

I guess “ competing” is what you want. That’s your prerogative, but I don’t care what they do in 2024, I want them to win Lombardi’s, not to put up 20..Playoff Participant banners. To win Lombardi’s you need a franchise QB, not one that just makes you competitive.

yeah pretty amazing someone would disparage mahomes. wtf?
If KC hits on a WR in the draft, Id say 3 consecutive Super Bowl wins is doable.

I am sure that if you ask Bill Polian, he will tell you "I knew it all along"

Bill Polian is completely full of ****. 15 years after Brady was drafted he claimed he had Brady on their board in the 1st round, but didn’t need him because they had Manning. But any good GM who saw a 1st round QB in the board in the 3rd round or later would draft them as back up insurance and later trade bait.

And with modern medicine those QBs stay in the elite stratosphere longer.
It's not just the medicinal improvements. It's nutrition, fitness and body maintenance, less smoking as an overall populace (although that's swinging back with marijuana), and number one a set of rules which makes quarterbacks almost untouchable versus how it was in the past.

At this point it wouldn't be hard to create a VR experience where these guys are tested on their ability to learn and adapt in game situations. That would be a lot more useful at the combine than the physical drills.
Great point. I’d be surprised if they don’t already have something like that.

This article hits the nail on the head
I have been saying a QB needs Intelligence (meaning pre snap read and going through progressions quickly and accurately) and Mental toughness that is so important.

Draftnik’s have no clue. They can only go on height, weight, arm strength, age, speed etc
They can make a judgement on Intelligence and mental toughness to a degree. College ball provides a sketch of those traits but it becomes much more complicated and fast in the Pro’s. It becomes how mentally tough or intelligent are they.

Some College QB’s don’t even have to make a pre snap read. They just look back to the sideline and they flash a signal of the audible once the defense commits itself. Some Offenses just have 2 simple progressions.
Mental toughness will be when you had a great OLine and WR’s in College and now you have an average players at that position. Let’s see if you fade or show grit and take the team on your shoulders

This is why drafting QB’s is a crap shoot
We need a QB and will have to take a chance. Hopefully this new regime picks the right guy

We are addicted to this sport and can’t get enough of everything we can gather on the web. As Polian says for a QB pick. Anything you are reading about has only 40% of the info to make that article accurate

Can’t wait for Thursday

Once you start succeeding, your QB costs $40M AAV and some of your stars start costing $20M AAV. Getting a top 10 QB is great, but then there is the cap window created for all but the very best.
Salary cap impact is another example of why QB is so critical to success in the NFL. If finding an NFL QB in the draft is hard, finding one that is good enough to win while taking $40m+ of cap space is near impossible. Realistically only one or two QBs are worth that kind of money because they can overcome less talent and make the players around them better. The rest, like Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, etc., take too large a portion of their teams cap and don't elevate the rest of the roster. The teams are afraid to let their QB go after the rookie contract because finding a better replacement is so hard.

yeah pretty amazing someone would disparage mahomes. wtf?
Mahomes turning out great and him being a lifetime prospect going into the draft are two different things.

If the Patriots picked Tom Brady in the first round of the 2000 draft at the time it would have been pure insanity even though it would have still been the right move longterm based off what we know now.

Mahomes developed under Kafka and was in the right offensive system by the time he started AND then put in a tremendous amount of work and everything clicked. You can't predict that in a draft.

Salary cap impact is another example of why QB is so critical to success in the NFL. If finding an NFL QB in the draft is hard, finding one that is good enough to win while taking $40m+ of cap space is near impossible. Realistically only one or two QBs are worth that kind of money because they can overcome less talent and make the players around them better. The rest, like Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, etc., take too large a portion of their teams cap and don't elevate the rest of the roster. The teams are afraid to let their QB go after the rookie contract because finding a better replacement is so hard.
The other thing is that a guy like Mahomes or Brady who have strong winning potential will no that their earning ability is more tied to them winning than their NFL salary, so they will try to set their teams up more to maximize that.

Mid tier guys like Kirk Cousins are just going to try to drain you dry because that's all the money they are getting.

Minding the above points, Drake Maye is probably your best pick. But they all have their warts to some extent. Maye just best checks the most important core boxes and his issues are things you can fix with time, if he puts the effort in. At the same time, maybe someone like McCarthy or Bo Nix are better at some of these things than we realize, because to Polian's point, we don't have all the info. Were they limited by the scheme they were in, or by what the coaches demanded they do?
I watched a lot more tape on McCarthy recently, and there's one thing I can't shake: he just doesn't look like an NFL QB. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but the nagging thought is that he looks like one of those excellent college QBs whose game doesn't translate to the NFL. A winner, yes, but... Maye looks like an NFL QB. I'd say he most reminds me of Marino with mobility but without the elite accuracy. Man he can rip the ball in there. If the accuracy can be corrected, he's going to be a big star.

The other thing is that a guy like Mahomes or Brady who have strong winning potential will no that their earning ability is more tied to them winning than their NFL salary, so they will try to set their teams up more to maximize that.

Mid tier guys like Kirk Cousins are just going to try to drain you dry because that's all the money they are getting.
For sure, being flexible and working with the team on compensation is part of great leadership for a QB, Mahomes is not in the top 10. That was always one way that Brady was superior to Manning. Manning had to be the top paid QB in the league. That said, both Mahomes or Brady at the height of his career are very well compensated. The difference is that they are both willing to take fair contracts and restructure their contracts to free up cap money instead of demanding the most money, paid out up front.

I watched a lot more tape on McCarthy recently, and there's one thing I can't shake: he just doesn't look like an NFL QB. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but the nagging thought is that he looks like one of those excellent college QBs whose game doesn't translate to the NFL. A winner, yes, but... Maye looks like an NFL QB. I'd say he most reminds me of Marino with mobility but without the elite accuracy. Man he can rip the ball in there. If the accuracy can be corrected, he's going to be a big star.
I think Maye is accurate when he gets his feet right, he just has mechanical issues. Fix his feet and you have a real winner. That’ll take time though.

The giants are considering drafting a QB at 6; they should. Daniels Jones may be a solid starter, but not a $40M starter.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back