PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian: Draft needs updating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Colts president Polian says NFL draft needs updating

It would have been awesome if the Colts picked Leaf.

I think Manning being on the Colts has worked out pretty well overall for the Pats.

With the decision on the CBA now lurking, perhaps he is trying to ease this thought into the public for public perusal (trial balloon) by the union? The reason I bring this up as Polian putting it out there for that purpose is perhaps it will be a bargaining chip when they negotiate. It sure sounded like the owners weren't keen on letting the CBA stay as is.

I have long thought that the rookie contracts were absurd in the first round. It's like a company hiring a guy straight out of college and paying him double-triple what the top performers in your company are making.

I think they should do some kind of "starting salary" type value for the contract based NOT on position but where the pick is, and only for first round. The concessions to players for the $$ they give up on the front end could be perhaps UFA & RFA coming with one fewer year of service each, contracts being able to be only 5 years max instead of 6 (I know they already started limiting the length to 5 for some range of the first round don't they?) or teams being able to use the franchise tag only once ever with a player while he plays for them or something. This is likely an oversimplification, but maybe it's a starting point. Either way, it isn't good for the league as a whole to have these ridiculous rookie salaries and that is definitely a huge concern

The question is if the players agree to limit the salaries of a few players what will the owners agree to give up in return.

The question is if the players agree to limit the salaries of a few players what will the owners agree to give up in return.

I don't know that they really have to give up anything. Polian mentioned that the money now being given up in the rookie contracts would go into the veteran player salary pool. I don't think you will have a difficult time convincing the players currently in the union to agree to take more money for the veterans while limiting the salaries of players that are still in college and thus not in the union.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3