PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players who "know the system"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulThePat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Just reading Mike Reiss and others on the Branch trade and a common quote is that "Deion knows the system". Now, I don't claim to be an x and o's guy and I'd like someone to fill me in on what this means.

Deion has been away for five years in which time we've had Weis, McDaniels and now O'Brien as offensive play callers. We've had the 2007 season and 50 touchdown passes from Brady. Most would probably say that the Pats of the last 2 or 3 seasons have played a different style to the Pats of 2002-2005 when Branch was last here.

Therefore what part of the system will Deion know ? Are we talking terminology ? Surely we have a different playbook and like any new player he'll need to get up to speed.

PaulC.

I think they mean he knows the NE press system, so he knows which Reporters better not to piss of. Something Randy could never get a hang on.

Apart from that, NE has always been promoting from within, which should make for a fairly evolutional change. OTOH You need to change a lot of things regularly in the NFL, because otherwise you get figured out.
Also their are a lot of organizational procedures in running any larger organisation, which should have staed mostly the same, and which Deion should be at least familar with.

Well ist always a bit better than getting somebody who has to learn everything, and he might have learned, that there are worth places to be than a maybe underppaid WR1,5 on a perennial contender.

Also our offense is going to revert back to pre-moss stylings.

Slow-changing parts of the system could include:

What kinds of reads drive what kinds of decisions.

When you can't run your route perfectly (e.g. due to press coverage), which trade-off you make.

Terminology.

Last edited:
They are trying to say he knows the system. You know - The System. The System is something he knows, and knows well. He's familar with it, because he played in The System for years.

I hope that helps. :)

What's so tough to understand? BBs system - terminology, routes, hot reads, Bradys tendencies.

Just a general term. Things change from time to time, but terminology and the basic philosophy isn't all that dramatically different. Let's not forget, Brady and Branch had a tremendous chemestry when Brach was here, even moreso then Brady and Moss ever did.

There was some long TV special a few years ago where the two talked about Tom just giving Branch the "eyeball", and Brach knowing exactly which route the tilt of the eyebrow meant. It's take a few games to get back to that, but it's likely return quickly.

Certainly moreso then bringing in some other genreal veteral JAG receiver.

We may have shifted our offense a bit after Branch left to a more spread-based attack, but we're now going back to our roots as he returns, so philosophically it shouldn't make a difference. He also knows all the route trees and sight adjustments that need to be made pre-snap.

Also our offense is going to revert back to pre-moss stylings.

We hope. I'm still not convinced O'Brien isn't the major malfunction with the offense.

Brady's take:

“I’m not sure how much Deion has retained over the years,” Brady said. “He’s a smart player, but he’s certainly going to have his work cut out for him. Things aren’t exactly the same as when we left, we’ve evolved quite a bit with the offense we’re running. I’m sure there’s a pretty steep learning curve, but hopefully he gets up to speed as much as possible. We need him this week.”

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Patriots QB Tom Brady wakes up early to discuss the trade for Deion Branch and that same old Moss report

It's too bad they couldn't pull this off last week, give him more time to catch up.

the pats like guys that know the system cause most of the time they are bring in JAG'a or guys at the end of there Career like Deion Branch, so they can come in and make few plays to help the team.

when it comes to big time talen like Moss, and Welker, they can come in and make a impact right away with out even being in the system befor, football is football the pats don't run anything that much over top then what ever team in NFL is running if a guy has talent he will fit in and make plays.

let's hope Deion Branch, still has it cause IMO a 4th for a 31 year old WR is a lil high.

Whether he "knows the system" or not matters less to me than that he is a smart guy who played well under BB before. He plays well with Brady. I still recall being very hopeful and optimistic about Doug Gabriel. But he was not able to hang here at all. Deion did it once, he can do it again if he works hard enough.

Every "offensive coordinator" installs his own system. We have been using the Charlie Weis/Belichick system in this whole era.

That's why we have promoted from within rather than hire an offensive coordinator. Branch knows the system. It's a timing system, other teams systems are slightly, or radically different.

It's a big reason we have acquired veteran receivers and had them go el busto. There's a school of thought that says Moss caused them to deviate from the system in practice, we'll see.

When Bledsoe was quarterback, they got OCs with completely different systems and screwed him up pretty good. That's why they've made an effort to keep the same system for Tom.

When Deion decided to screw his team mates (welcome back:mad:) We acquired Doug Gabriel and he did fairly well for a few games. Unfortunately, he thought he was doing great and made little attempt to learn the system he was supposed to be running. This led Brady to let him freelance and look for him, since he had few options. Once the few others started to learn the system, they dropped Gabriel like a bad habit.

The system is built on receivers being at spots, or making decisions depending on coverage, so they are reliably in the right place, because the pass is on the way to the spot before the receiver gets there.

Obviously, receivers with out discipline, or deciding they'll get "open" regardless of the options for spots they are supposed to be at, result in those crazy interceptions where you say "why did Brady throw it right at the CB with no receiver in site"? lol

Some teams have the QBs look for open receivers, we don't. Our QB reads the defense, the receivers react to the coverage, and they should both assume which route option or adjustment will be made and the ball is already in the air anticipating the receivers move.

That's why someone who knows our system has a tremendous advantage over the Joey Galloways etc.

What's so tough to understand? BBs system - terminology, routes, hot reads, Bradys tendencies.

The only thing similar to when he last played here is the terminology.

The only thing similar to when he last played here is the terminology.

I disagree. They have not brought in a new offensive system in the Belichick era. Of course some things have changed, but they run a different system than many teams.

I'm not sure how much the Weis system differs from similar systems from the same root. here's some blog article that seems informative. If it's not, i'll leave it to the X O guys, since I'm not qualified there.
Josh McDaniel and New England I believe still runs the system Weis installed there which is/was what people often call the Ron Erhardt/Ray Perkins system, otherwise known mostly as a pro style hybrid system. The roots go back a ways there obviously and Parcells brought it with him, with a brief interlude with the Coryell system when Pete Carroll had Zampese there, then returned with Belichik and Weis. It extens through Pittsburgh and of course by way of that, Arizona and Atlanta now, etc. Gilbride, I believe, runs it as well. Essentially, it breaks down to 3 categories for the sake of discussion. West Coast, Coryell and Hybrid.

The Patriots run a modified "Ron Erhardt - Ray Perkins" offensive system installed by Charlie Weis under Bill Belichick. Both Ron Erhardt and Ray Perkins served as offensive assistant coaches under the defensive minded Chuck Fairbanks while he was head coach of the Patriots in the 1970s. This system is noted for its multiple formation and personnel grouping variations on a core number of base plays. Under this system, each formation and each play are separately numbered. Additional word descriptions further modify each play (see below for examples).
This offense often uses "the run to set up the pass" via play-action passing, faking the run in order to throw deep downfield when the defense is least expecting it. Despite its reputation, this system is not always a run first offense. Erhardt commonly ran the system in his later years spread wide open with multiple receivers (earning the moniker "Air Erhardt"), as NFL rules evolved to benefit the passing game. As a result of this influence, the Patriots will frequently run this offense with five potential receivers and an empty backfield should a favorable matchup present itself or as a function of available personnel. With the addition of Randy Moss and Wes Welker to the Patriots offense, the Patriots have for the time being placed an emphasis on a wide open passing attack (with record setting results).

Last edited:
I disagree. They have not brought in a new offensive system in the Belichick era. Of course some things have changed, but they run a different system than many teams.

They run significantly different route trees, they run different personell groupings, and Brady is a significantly different QB than he was in '05.

They run significantly different route trees, they run different personell groupings, and Brady is a significantly different QB than he was in '05.

But they just traded Moss. Are they going to run the same plays they did when Moss was here? I wouldn't mind seeing them go back to what worked before, myself.

so it seems you want to come out and say something...so far you're intent on raising some sort of implication(s)...what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes