PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players to Watch at Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaphors

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With tags starting to be applied today, the offseason officially kicks off this week. The combine is the next major event. With the Pats being major players once again in the draft, the combine gives us a chance to see potential neo-Pats show what they can do. Here are the names I'm interested in and what I'm looking for (feel free to add your own):

DL
==

DT Brandon Thompson - Clemson (6'2", 311)
Seems to be slipping into the 2nd round for some reason. Clemson substitutes liberally on their DL and I think people have used that to make Thompson into a 2-down run-stuffer only. I think that is a mistake. I'm looking to see him demonstrate his functional strength (collapse the pocket and eat up block) and lateral quickness in pursuit. He could have great value in the late first and be an absolute steal in the 2nd.

DT Derek Wolfe - Cincinnati (6'5", 285)
I see him as an ideal sub rusher that is a nuisance in the backfield and gets pressure with relentless pursuit. Looking to see if he can demonstrate a burst, have enough strength to disengage from blocks and show a variety of rush moves. Have seen him ranked anywhere from round 2-6 based on the perception of being a tweener. If he can fill that Mike Wright role next to (hopefully) Pryor, then the Pats should be interested on day 2.

DE Jake Bequette - Arkansas (6'5", 264)
4 years of production in the SEC and finished strong (9 sacks in last 7 games). Seems to have prototypical physical makeup for a Pats rush end. Looking to see how well he plays moving backwards and if he shows enough functional strength to hold up on the edge. Seems like a typical Steeler pick but they have other concerns to address. If Bequette looks good on his feet, he could be another day 2 target for the Pats.

DB
==

CB Chase Minnifield - Virginia (6'0", 185)
Just makes too much sense. Another UVA corner to run with Dowling and Belichick coached his dad in Cleveland. The ACC has some inept passing offenses so it is hard to judge ACC corners. Besides looking at his feet and hips, need to see if Minnifield has the long speed to be left on an island when needed. If the Pats trade down with one of their 1st round picks (duh), it could put them in a range where Minnifield or a comparable DB would be a good value.

CB Asa Jackson - Cal Poly (5'10", 193)
For some reason I just didn't seem to get many Cal Poly games on my teevee. However, I did see Jackson during Senior Bowl week and he seemed to do well. Hung with receivers pretty well outside but looked very comfortable in the slot. Looking for ability to change direction quickly and close on the ball when moving laterally. A slot DB is key when teams are passing constantly, which is an area the Pats can definitely improve on. The Pats don't have any later round picks, but if they acquire one (or if he goes undrafted) Jackson looks like an interesting target.

Receiver
========

WR Joe Adams - Arkansas (5'11", 174)
Has enough long speed to get safety attention over the top (which is what the Pats really need in an outside receiver). Also is comfortable in the slot so he can fit with the Pats multiple shifts and formations. The key for me is he would immediately and significantly upgrade the return teams, particularly on kickoffs. Looking to see if his hands consistently snatch the ball away from his body. Another interesting day 2 pick.

TE Michael Egnew - Missouri (6'5", 250)
Skill set that fits nicely between Gronk and Hernandez. Seems to be slipping for reasons I can't comprehend, but dude gets open and catches everything thrown his way. Looking to see if he displays enough functional strength to hold up inline when needed. If he slips to the 3rd day, I think you find a way to get him.

With tags starting to be applied today, the offseason officially kicks off this week. The combine is the next major event. With the Pats being major players once again in the draft, the combine gives us a chance to see potential neo-Pats show what they can do. Here are the names I'm interested in and what I'm looking for (feel free to add your own):

DL
==

Seems to be slipping into the 2nd round for some reason. Clemson substitutes liberally on their DL and I think people have used that to make Thompson into a 2-down run-stuffer only. I think that is a mistake. I'm looking to see him demonstrate his functional strength (collapse the pocket and eat up block) and lateral quickness in pursuit. He could have great value in the late first and be an absolute steal in the 2nd.

I see him as an ideal sub rusher that is a nuisance in the backfield and gets pressure with relentless pursuit. Looking to see if he can demonstrate a burst, have enough strength to disengage from blocks and show a variety of rush moves. Have seen him ranked anywhere from round 2-6 based on the perception of being a tweener. If he can fill that Mike Wright role next to (hopefully) Pryor, then the Pats should be interested on day 2.

4 years of production in the SEC and finished strong (9 sacks in last 7 games). Seems to have prototypical physical makeup for a Pats rush end. Looking to see how well he plays moving backwards and if he shows enough functional strength to hold up on the edge. Seems like a typical Steeler pick but they have other concerns to address. If Bequette looks good on his feet, he could be another day 2 target for the Pats.

DB
==

CB Chase Minnifield - Virginia (6'0", 185)
Just makes too much sense. Another UVA corner to run with Dowling and Belichick coached his dad in Cleveland. The ACC has some inept passing offenses so it is hard to judge ACC corners. Besides looking at his feet and hips, need to see if Minnifield has the long speed to be left on an island when needed. If the Pats trade down with one of their 1st round picks (duh), it could put them in a range where Minnifield or a comparable DB would be a good value.

CB Asa Jackson - Cal Poly (5'10", 193)
For some reason I just didn't seem to get many Cal Poly games on my teevee. However, I did see Jackson during Senior Bowl week and he seemed to do well. Hung with receivers pretty well outside but looked very comfortable in the slot. Looking for ability to change direction quickly and close on the ball when moving laterally. A slot DB is key when teams are passing constantly, which is an area the Pats can definitely improve on. The Pats don't have any later round picks, but if they acquire one (or if he goes undrafted) Jackson looks like an interesting target.

Receiver
========

WR Joe Adams - Arkansas (5'11", 174)
Has enough long speed to get safety attention over the top (which is what the Pats really need in an outside receiver). Also is comfortable in the slot so he can fit with the Pats multiple shifts and formations. The key for me is he would immediately and significantly upgrade the return teams, particularly on kickoffs. Looking to see if his hands consistently snatch the ball away from his body. Another interesting day 2 pick.

TE Michael Egnew - Missouri (6'5", 250)
Skill set that fits nicely between Gronk and Hernandez. Seems to be slipping for reasons I can't comprehend, but dude gets open and catches everything thrown his way. Looking to see if he displays enough functional strength to hold up inline when needed. If he slips to the 3rd day, I think you find a way to get him.

I really like a couple of guys on your list Joe Adams has Stanley Morgan like footspeed. Will help special teams immediately. If he seems to have the accumen to learn the offense thru the interview process, I'd consider him at 48. I also like Wolfe and Bequette. I want a 2-gap de and olb at 27 and 31. If we double up on either position, both are superb candidates at 94 or if we trade down from 63.

A couple of combine guys to keep an eye on for me would be. Iloka. The S from Boise. Curious to see how agile and fluid he is. Big kid 6'3" 225. Some olb types such as; Cam Johnson - Virginia, Chandler Jones-Cuse, Bruce Irvin - West Va, Ronnell Lewis - Oklahoma and Brandon Lindsay - Pitt.

I find it worthless to evaluate linemen in individual workouts. Size and strength are important. But, technique, heart and motor are just as important when your getting popped on every play.

I'm focusing on WR exclusively. Too many hours wasted in the offseason analyzing DEs and OLBs....all for not. BB didn't fill my binky needs with JPP in '10 or Watts in '11....so BB won't get my stellar analysis at those positions ever again.
My prebinky love is for Floyd and Sanu. If BB wants a Moss like edge/deep guy, Floyd gets my love (too bad the kid has probably police blottered himself off the Pats board). If BB is trying to replace Branch, Sanu gets my attention.....better size, strength, versatilty.

When viewing the Pats WR needs but looking at the big picture....I see an excess of premium assets used for the passing game...
1) Brady....giant contract
2) Welker...big contract (assumed)
3) Gronk...big contract on horizon
4) Hernandez....middle size contract ahead

Pass protection assets
1) Mankins...big contract, #1 pick
2) Solder...#1 pick

In other words, lots of team assets deployed for the passing game. Thus, expecting BB to add another big contract via FA or using a #1 seems unlikely when considering roster dollar balance.

I wonder how long term BB is thinking. Thinking 3 years out, it would be prudent to get a rookie WR with deep threat skills to practice with Mallet. If Mallet has a future, and Mallet's greatest skill is the deep ball, wouldn't it be wise to pair a WR with Mallet and let those two gel together starting soon....maybe not this year. If Mallet is the future, let the next chapter of the NE Patriots hit the ground running (sky bombing).

DL
==

Sorry for nitpicking, but this has not been true in 2011. Snaps were way up for all the starters on the Clemson d-line while snaps were way down for their backups. Clemson really lacked depth at defensive end & tackle. Just take a look:

2011 Position Analysis: Defensive Line with Marion Hobby and Dan Brooks

I'm looking forward to see how WR Marvin Jones from Cal and DE Andre Branch fromClemson will test out. I expect both to do well.

oh man, i wanted to add nick gentry to that dline group, but i recognized he wasn't invited to the combine...

anyway...i like him in the mike wright sub rusher role. he will likely go undrafted so there is no risc to waste a draft pick and nobody knows if mike wright can stay healthy.

WR and DE/OLB are what I'll be watching mostly. I don't foresee us grabbing a DT/DE in the first two rounds for some reason.

Patsderoer is going to love you.

I'll be looking at the 20 yd splits for WR's. Apparently that's quite a good measure for success in the NFL.

As for players:

My Binkies
Jamell Fleming
Marvin Jones
Akiem Hicks

How Cam Johnson and Andre Branch look in coverage drills
Alshon Jeffrey
Mohamed Sanu
Stephen Hill
Stephon Gilmore

Stephen Hill, Mohamed Sanu, and Alshon Jeffery for me

I'm curious to see how fast/athletic RGIII is compared to Newton and Vick.

I'll be looking at every player in the DE/OLB's focusing highly on the short shuttle drill and to a lesser degree their 3 cone. Of course they have to measure out well and have some strength.

Specifically Dont'a Hightower, Mercilus, Branch, McClellin, Engram etc.

Unless Brandon Thompson's arms measure at least 34", then I have no interest in him.
I'm more interested in his teammate Andre Branch's agility drills.
Even Little Bill must realize by now that we need to draft Pass-Rushers, not unathletic pluggers, early & often.

Unless Brandon Thompson's arms measure at least 34", then I have no interest in him.
I'm more interested in his teammate Andre Branch's agility drills.
Even Little Bill must realize by now that we need to draft Pass-Rushers, not unathletic pluggers, early & often.

Would you be interested in another Wilfork or perhaps Suh? Neither one of them have 34 inch arms.

Would you be interested in another Wilfork or perhaps Suh? Neither one of them have 34 inch arms.

Thompson is a tweener. He doesn't have Suh's height/athleticism or Wilfork's bulk and anchor. He'd need super long arms to have any shot of playing DE for the Pats.

Thompson is a tweener. He doesn't have Suh's height/athleticism or Wilfork's bulk and anchor. He'd need super long arms to have any shot of playing DE for the Pats.

Shaun Ellis is both taller and lighter than Thompson, so he has a higher center of gravity, edge goes to Thompson. I'm much more interested in his explosiveness, instincts, and reaction time.

Also, you missed the point, I was responding to captainstone's comment about "little bill"

"Even Little Bill must realize by now that we need to draft Pass-Rushers, not unathletic pluggers, early & often"

I wouldnt consider Suh or Wilfork unathletic or insufficient because of their arm length, I'll judge them on how they play.

Shaun Ellis is both taller and lighter than Thompson, so he has a higher center of gravity, edge goes to Thompson. I'm much more interested in his explosiveness, instincts, and reaction time.

Also, you missed the point, I was responding to captainstone's comment about "little bill"

"Even Little Bill must realize by now that we need to draft Pass-Rushers, not unathletic pluggers, early & often"

I wouldnt consider Suh or Wilfork unathletic or insufficient because of their arm length, I'll judge them on how they play.

Absolutely. Measurables are only a guide. The only consistency determining where or whether a player should be drafted is performance. If a player runs 0.06 below desired or has arms 1/3 inch below should not be what determines whether a player should be drafted at 27 or 34.

Courtney Upshaw does everything the Patriots require of an OLB. He sets the edge, he tackles well, he rushes the passer (there are some question marks about how good he'd be in coverage). Yes he's short and has shorter arms than what is preferred, but game tape says he can do almost everything we'd want. Is he an upgrade over Jermaine Cunningham? You'd better believe it - so there's a spot on the roster for him. Is he better than Ninkovich or Anderson? That's a better question. I don't think the answer to that question can be found in his arm length.

The point of the draft is to make the team better, not to create a collection of perfect specimens.

The point of the draft is to make the team better, not to create a collection of perfect specimens.

Good point.

After all, if it was about perfect specimens, I'd be under Center on Sundays. ;)

Interesting point about the DBs; the Patriots will definitely be looking at DBs and a big need is a slot DB.

I'd rather have one Wilfork + one Barwin/Avril than 2 Wilforks.

Don't get me started, if I knew how to use photoshop I'd put Barwin in a Pats uni and have that as my avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST