PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If Revis doesn't get extende... shudder...

What do you think Plan B will be for free agency?

With Revis's cap figure to be around $10-$12 M in year 1, would they fill in the roster à la carte with more depth?

Menu options
Dan Williams - DT - Estimated cap $4M
Percy Harvin, WR - Estimated cap $4M
Jabaal Sheard, LB - Estimated cap $4M
Reggie Bush, RB - Estimated cap $2.5 M

We'd really need something at CB with Denmard & Ryan's regression ; unless they really like Butler. Buster Shrine perhaps?

Add Cecil Shorts to the possible WR group.

I think they like Rubin, Cleveland DT; him, Sheard and Shorts would be a nice group that would likely come in under Revis (of course I would prefer Revis).

why would we sign a locker room cancer that can't manage to even stay on the field?

Percy harvin is trash man.

Plan B is loading up on defensive depth

I think the Arena League is looking for a new expansion team.

With Revis's cap figure to be around $10-$12 M in year 1, would they fill in the roster à la carte with more depth?

Menu options

Even if Revis is extended, I expect the Pats to be able to free up $10-12M in cap space. We're currently about $9M over the cap, so if Revis is re-signed with a $10M 2015 cap hit we will be $1M under the cap. I could see the following:

Needs:

1. Big DT.
2. EDGE.
3. LG.
4. 3rd down RB.
5. #3 WR (if Amendola is cut).

Dan Connolly, Alan Branch, Akeem Ayers, Shane Vereen and Danny Amendola could fill some of those needs.

Ways to Free Up Cap Space:

1. Convert $7M of TB's salary into signing bonus. Creates $5M cap space, per Miguel.
2. Restructure Jerod Mayo. Can realistically create about $4M cap space, per Miguel.
3. Cut Danny Amendola with a post-June 1 designation. Creates about $4M cap space, per Miguel.
4. Cut Michael Hoomanawanui. Creates about $1.2M cap space.
5. Make minor restructurings/extensions to deals for Brandon Browner, Kyle Arrington or Sebastian Vollmer. Could create about $3M in cumulative cap space.
6. Cut or trade Alfonzo Dennard. Creates about $1M cap space.
7. Agree to long term extensions for Nate Solder and/or Stephen Gostkowski.

So with McCourty and Revis signed long term, the Pats could potentially create around $20M of cap space to address the 5 needs above, plus money for draft picks, the PS, and contingency funds. That should allow them plenty of options to fill holes and add depth once the first few days of the FA feeding frenzy has passed.

Last edited:
Even if Revis is extended, I expect the Pats to be able to free up $10-12M in cap space. We're currently about $9M over the cap, so if Revis is re-signed with a $10M 2015 cap hit we will be $1M under the cap. I could see the following:

Needs:

1. Big DT.
2. EDGE.
3. LG.
4. 3rd down RB.
5. #3 WR (if Amendola is cut).

Dan Connolly, Alan Branch, Akeem Ayers, Shane Vereen and Danny Amendola could fill some of those needs.

Ways to Free Up Cap Space:

1. Convert $7M of TB's salary into signing bonus. Creates $5M cap space, per Miguel.
2. Restructure Jerod Mayo. Can realistically create about $4M cap space, per Miguel.
3. Cut Dann Amendola with a post-June 1 designation. Creates about $4M cap space, per Miguel.
4. Cut Michael Hoomanawanui. Creates about $1.2M cap space.
5. Make minor restructurings/extensions to deals for Brandon Browner, Kyle Arrington or Sebastian Vollmer. Could create about $3M in cumulative cap space.
6. Cut or trade Alfonzo Dennard. Creates about $1M cap space.
7. Agree to long term extensions for Nate Solder and/or Stephen Gostkowski.

So with McCourty and Revis signed long term, the Pats could potentially create around $20M of cap space to address the 5 needs above, plus money for draft picks, the PS, and contingency funds. That should allow them plenty of options to fill holes and add depth once the first few days of the FA feeding frenzy has passed.
This is a fine analysis.

I would add
A) Gronkowski could be restructured adding about $3M.
B) a Revis 2015 cap could be as low as $5M
C) we might be a bit less than $9M over the cap (McCourty's net cap hit could be as little as $3.5M)

I actually think that are deep enough to not freak out if he leaves. Of course, no one would really replace Revis as far skills and tangibles go, but speaking strictly about body counts, i wouldn't be in a urge to sign someone. I still believe that at least one of Ryan, Dennard or even Butler could work out (hopefully we see improvements too), even more so now that McCourty was resigned.

That being said, I would go after good rotational players on the D-Line (a Ayers extension would be good IMO, or going after Jamaal Sheard/Derrick Morgan ).

I admit that our WR could be better in my eyes, but i feel like Harvin is not worth it. Too much noise. Has some talent, though. Wouldn't prioritize

My biggest concern is the O-Line, now that we are witnessing the FA movement within our own division. I think that a reallocation of the Revis' resources in order to get an upgrade at guard would be the best course of action. Facing Ryan's Bill and that Miami defense + Suh two times per season is a nuisance to be dealt with. I do give major props for Connoly and Wendel for last season, i would like something better, if possible.

rockY.gif

I'll pass on all this info to BB and hopefully he'll do it

Don;t think there is a plan B..it certainly isn't in FA if he leaves...the longer they wait to do a deal the more i prepare myself he's leaving (just so i don't overreact if he does leave)

Hopefully they get it done...if not we better hope Ryan steps up

Menu options
He's already been resigned, Deus confirmed it.

Someone mentioned Ryan and Revis in the same post (snicker)

:rolleyes:

Ok - so where do you guys think they spend the money that could have gone to Revis now?

Helu just signed with the Raiders.

Guys I'm interested in us taking a look at:

Charles Clay
Reggie Bush
Percy Harvin

Brandon Browner
Terrance Knighton
Peanut Tillman
Jabaal Sheard

New plan

Okay this is not what anyone here wanted.

Just need to move on and do the best we can.

My moves to make

#1 sign a CB or two.

Make sure you have something representative back there. It will not be as good but it can't suck 100%

Maybe Tramon Williams & Chril Culiver or something.

#2 improve the DL. The pass rush just plain needs to be better.

I have ideas about DTs but I will leave it at that.

#3 improve the O.

You are going to need to be better on O this year.

That is pretty much it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Percy Harvin and Greg Hardy prove it deals; Knighton long term answer to Wilfork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News