PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On Team Building, Free Agency, and the Draft

Some FA overpayments, IMO:

- CB Chris Culliver reportedly signing with Washington at $8M/year 4 year deal
- EDGE Derrick Morgan re-signing with Tennessee at 4 years / $30M. I think he's a similar player to Jabaal Sheard.
- TE Jordan Cameron to Miami for 2 years / $15M. A big concussion risk for that much money.
- Andre Johnson to the Colts for 3 years / $21M. 2015 cap hit of $7.5M.

- EDGE Derrick Morgan re-signing with Tennessee at 4 years / $30M. I think he's a similar player to Jabaal Sheard.
- TE Jordan Cameron to Miami for 2 years / $15M. A big concussion risk for that much money.

And Brian Orakpo at 8m/year 4 year deal (Titans)

And Brian Orakpo at 8m/year 4 year deal (Titans)

Ray Horton has a couple of good EDGE players in Orakpo and Morgan, but at nearly $16M/year that's a hefty price. Not sure exactly what their 2015 cap hit will be. The combined 2015 cap hit for Chandler Jones, Rob Ninovich, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins and Jabaal Sheard is just over $14M, though that number could double for 2017.

I'm hoping we sign Fairley, Branch and Bush. Trade for Mathis. Should have enough room if we re-do Solder.

Draft a corner in the first and deal for one during draft weekend. The free agent ones are gonna be too pricey.

Ray Horton has a couple of good EDGE players in Orakpo and Morgan, but at nearly $16M/year that's a hefty price. Not sure exactly what their 2015 cap hit will be. The combined 2015 cap hit for Chandler Jones, Rob Ninovich, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins and Jabaal Sheard is just over $14M, though that number could double for 2017.

I think they had $46m before those moves so plenty of room. They've also inked Karl Klug to a new contract today but I don't know about numbers. I'm just hoping they feel McCourty is worth cutting. He's probably the guy I ant the most now.

I'm hoping we sign Fairley, Branch and Bush. Trade for Mathis. Should have enough room if we re-do Solder.

Draft a corner in the first and deal for one during draft weekend. The free agent ones are gonna be too pricey.

Branch/Rubin, Bush/Thomas, Harvin and Mathis for me. Scoring more points on offense mitigates the defensive losses.

Branch/Rubin, Bush/Thomas, Harvin and Mathis for me. Scoring more points on offense mitigates the defensive losses.

Not sure we need Harvin and a 3rd down back. I see Percy's role pretty much duplicating what that guy gives ya. I can see BB going for Harvin instead of Bush/Thomas. I see our go-to skill set as; Gronk, Edelman, LaFell, Amendola and another guy. Other guy would be Bush/Harvin/Thomas. Would Harvin and Bush be on the field at the same time? I don't see it. One or the other for me. I'd still like to draft a wr 96-102. So, I'd prefer the 3rd down back. Mathis and a guard at 64 or 96(Maybe slight trade up) should really make a great offense even better.

Not sure we need Harvin and a 3rd down back. I see Percy's role pretty much duplicating what that guy gives ya. I can see BB going for Harvin instead of Bush/Thomas. I see our go-to skill set as; Gronk, Edelman, LaFell, Amendola and another guy. Other guy would be Bush/Harvin/Thomas. Would Harvin and Bush be on the field at the same time? I don't see it. One or the other for me. I'd still like to draft a wr 96-102. So, I'd prefer the 3rd down back. Mathis and a guard at 64 or 96(Maybe slight trade up) should really make a great offense even better.

I can see that, i'm just thinking that it helps to overload on offense for this season. Harvin can play WR/KR and can rotate with Amendola. If I had to choose though, I'd go with Bush.

Last edited:
I can see that, i'm just thinking that it helps to overload on offense for this season. Marvin can play WR/KR and can rotate with Amendola. If I had to choose though, I'd go with Bush.

I haven't given up hope on your boy McBride or my guy Lockett at 96 or 97.

I could see bush and gurley as an absolute destructive backfield. Speed power and versatility that we just haven't had before to the same extent.

If we go in to the season with Mathis and marpet added to our existing depth on the o-line, I would love to see gurley fall in the draft and really put defenses on their heels.

I could see bush and gurley as an absolute destructive backfield. Speed power and versatility that we just haven't had before to the same extent.

If we go in to the season with Mathis and marpet added to our existing depth on the o-line, I would love to see gurley fall in the draft and really put defenses on their heels.

I agree. Plus Blount as a hammer to soften teams up.

A late round pick for Mathis and drafting Ali Marpet day 2 would really improve the OL. Maybe bring Connolly back on a low-cost deal for added depth.

That would leave DT and CB as the two remaining areas to address.

I see one pick and one signing for each position.

If we go hardison in 2, then maybe bring back Vince.

If we take someone like simon or williams, maybe fairley in free agency.

My thought is that our front 7 is going to be pretty dominant, having passable corners will probably be enough this season, as long as our offense holds up.

The Saints are moving another by trading Kenny Stills to the Dolphins. Terron Armstead and Akiem Hicks would be two nice gets. Hicks could be a cheapish NT.

BTW, predictive text changes Terron Armstead to Terror Farmstead. Cool nickname.

The Saints are moving another by trading Kenny Stills to the Dolphins. Terron Armstead and Akiem Hicks would be two nice gets. Hicks could be a cheapish NT.

BTW, predictive text changes Terron Armstead to Terror Farmstead. Cool nickname.

those would be the two guys I would be looking at as well.

Sean Payton must be pulling his hair out right now.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back