PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Offseason plan..

Status
Not open for further replies.

yopats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
After thinking about how things have unfolded and looking at the Patriots current cap situation it wouldn't surprise and we are already seeing this play out a bit is a sort of bridge year.

Hear me out on this a bit. We are currently pretty much up against the Cap but next year we have a ton of space only $76mm committed with an estimated Cap of $150mm+(yes I know we need to resign Jones, Hightower, Collins etc) but we are in great shape if we stay disciplined this offseason.

My hunch is that BB is going to employ a similar approach that Pete Carroll did after the 2012 season where he signed a bunch of guys to one year prove it deals.. Chris Clemmons, Michael Bennett , Antoine Winfield etc. Hence why you are seeing our names linked to Pot Roast, Fairley etc.. we are not going to pay big money for these guys. Also younger guys too which is interesting.

Carroll also traded for Percy Harvin that year.. that didn't work out so well.. but I could see BB doing something similar for a CB (J. McCourty, Keenan Allen, etc) that he deems fitting our scheme and personnel.

Another thing to take into account is our comp picks for 2016 we have a very real chance of getting close to 5 comp picks from 3-6th rounds for losing Revis, Browner, Wilfork, Casillas, Vereen, Branch , Ayers, Connoly etc)

Something to keep an eye on too is the free agents that we sign are cuts from teams so they won't affect our comp picks.. that's why you see names linked to us like Harvin, Bush, R. Starks, Red Bryant etc.

So let's be patient folks.. it's going to a long unfolding process this offseason.

Interested to hear others takes on what the Pats plans are too..

Last edited:
I think you are right that in terms of cap space this could be a bridge year to 2016. I wouldn't mind seeing some "prove it" deals.

As long as Pats can stay competitive and look forward to another 4-5 year run atop the NFL there is no downside. Getting to the playoffs as a wildcard would suck, but anything can happen once the playoffs start...

I think you are right that in terms of cap space this could be a bridge year to 2016. I wouldn't mind seeing some "prove it" deals.

As long as Pats can stay competitive and look forward to another 4-5 year run atop the NFL there is no downside. Getting to the playoffs as a wildcard would suck, but anything can happen once the playoffs start...

Yeah I think the 2011 year was a good example of a bridge year.. that team went to the SB with was really not uber talented.

With a healthy BB and Gronk and Brady we have a great shot at the AFC championship every year.

Another thing to add would be the incentive for one year prove it deals for the Pats.

Look at the money Pats get in FA, Mark Anderson,Vereen, Casillas , Revis, Browner, after very short stints with the Pats they get paid.

I really really don't want a "bridge year" with a 38 year old Tom Brady. Have 2017 when he's 40 and most of our big FAs are up be that year

I really really don't want a "bridge year" with a 38 year old Tom Brady. Have 2017 when he's 40 and most of our big FAs are up be that year

With the amount of cap space we have they are going to have to be creative to get the talent in here to replace the losses.

The only way I see for that to happen is to approach free agency how I did above not huge splashes but going after value. It will look very different than last year imo.

From a strategy standpoint, if there are no shut-down CBs available, why not improve the offense and say: Try and stop it? Of course, this does not imply that the remaining defense is terrible. However, if a mediocre defense is not going to stop as many, the team will need to score more. Perhaps, a solid running game, additional WR and another tough TE might suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes