PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFW's list of 2010 free agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merriman will be Franchised by the Chargers.

Bet on it. It's the smartest move they could do with him. Give him another year to show what he's got since he hasn't looked good this year.

If we are turning into a 43 team. Keith Bullock would be agreat addition. Get some young legs on the outside to rush the passer in the draft....

Merriman will be Franchised by the Chargers.

Bet on it. It's the smartest move they could do with him. Give him another year to show what he's got since he hasn't looked good this year.

Why bother? If 2010 is uncapped, he's only a restricted free agent. They can keep him for ~$3M and get a first- and a third- if someone signs him to an offer sheet.

Why on earth will Arizona and San Diego not try and re-sign these guys - get real, its likely they will stay where they are one way or another

i agree nfl FA will not be a free for all for teams with lot of money like the jets and pats like it is in MLB

nfl FA in a uncaped year will be like the nfl trade dead line it will come on go and not much will happen

What, the whopping 31 tackles and 4 sacks? Knock me over with a feather.

Yes coming off a major surgery he only has 4 sacks, funny how a major surgery can affect a player right after they come back from it.
The season after he was suspended he had 12.5 in 15 games, then he was out for a whole season (if you want to get technical he played one series in the first game).

Yes coming off a major surgery he only has 4 sacks, funny how a major surgery can affect a player right after they come back from it.
The season after he was suspended he had 12.5 in 15 games, then he was out for a whole season (if you want to get technical he played one series in the first game).

Regardless, that's not the sort of production I'd pay top dollar for. I've always found him overrated anyway.

Some names that stick out as potential veteran UFA targets: Ryan Pickett (NT/DE), Tyler Brayton (DE), Chike Okeafor (OLB), Jason Taylor (OLB), Larry Foote (ILB), Keith Bullock (ILB), Kyle Vanden Bosch (rush DE), Casey Hampton (NT), Aubrayo Franklin (NT), Travis Kirschke (DE), Dwan Edwards (DE), Justin Bannan (NT/DE).

I'm not privy to the mental makeup of most of these guys, but all of them seem like they would be good complementary pieces in a young defense. The only exception would be Hampton or Franklin, who would be a Wilfork replacement.

I think it's a pretty safe bet the Pats won't be in the market for a safety. As long as they see Chung and/or McGowan as starting material for 2010, they are all set at the position, and will probably look to trade Sanders. Similarly, I don't see the Pats uprooting too much at CB; they will likely dump Springs, bring back Bodden, and keep developing Butler, Wilhite, and Wheatley.

On offense: Kevin Walter (big WR), L.J. Smith (TE), Nate Burleson (WR), Antonio Bryant (WR).

One RFA target that interests me is Owen Daniels. Supposed to be a smart, team guy, also very productive so far with the Texans. It would cost the Pats some to sign him, but it would be worth it for this offense.

The market seems pretty weak for OL this year. The Pats might be interested in re-upping Neal for one more year, and then moving on after that. I've liked what I've seen out of Connolly so far. There's also Ohrnberger, who has only seen the field a few times this season. Both of them I suppose could be options for the future, but if the Pats really wanted to soilidify the line they'd invest a high pick at OG.

Overall, the two most likely areas I think we see the Pats adding external free agents this year is receiver (WR and TE) and the front seven of the defense.

Last edited:
Elvis Dumervil is a FA next season

this guy is proven to be a bonafide STUD pass rusher @ OLB in the 3-4 (as well as a force with his hand down in the 43).

25 years old... comes off as a smart, good character guy... why shouldn't he be #1 on the Pats off-season wish list?

Re: Elvis Dumervil is a FA Next Season

If there is no new CBA I think he will be restricted. I imagine that the Broncos will do what they can to keep him, but damn he would be a nice addition.

2 Reasons:
1. He's too small. BB likes them big. I personally love Elvis (not the stupid rockstar :rolleyes:).
2. He'll be way to expensive. I don't see the Pats breaking the bank on him. If the CBA reach an agreement and it's capped next year, I think there is no chance we get him.

I'd love to be wrong and land him. He is just what the defense needs.

if there is a cap next year the pats dont have the money to sign him and if there is no cap there would be two tags and he is denvers only big FA he is not going any where

if there is a cap next year the pats dont have the money to sign him and if there is no cap there would be two tags and he is denvers only big FA he is not going any where

If there is a cap... how couldn't the Pats clear enough space to get this guy on board?

If there is a cap... how couldn't the Pats clear enough space to get this guy on board?

Agreed. We let go of Seymour this season for a reason and we still haven't signed Wilfork yet. If we don't re-sign Big Vince, I don't see any reason why we couldn't land this guy (though we would have bigger problems on defense in the form of losing a dominant two gap NT).

they could by not resigning wilfork mankins neal and stephen gostkowski

but im not sure how much help dumervil would be if they can't bring dose guys back

Agreed. We let go of Seymour this season for a reason and we still haven't signed Wilfork yet. If we don't re-sign Big Vince, I don't see any reason why we couldn't land this guy (though we would have bigger problems on defense in the form of losing a dominant two gap NT).

I don't see why they couldn't sign Vince AND Dumervil. Other teams seem to do fine signing more than 2,3 players to big deals... The Pats front office is surely smart enough to make it work after they clear out all the dead wood.

I don't see why they couldn't sign Vince AND Dumervil. Other teams seem to do fine signing more than 2,3 players to big deals... The Pats front office is surely smart enough to make it work after they clear out all the dead wood.

We'd lose out on Mankins and Brady is also coming up on an extension.

they could by not resigning wilfork mankins neal and stephen gostkowski

but im not sure how much help dumervil would be if they can't bring dose guys back

A kicker is a kicker... i wouldnt lose sleep over losing Gostkowski..

Wilfork is a priority... So is Mankins... I would let Neal walk if it meant a premiere pass rusher coming aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back