Welcome to PatsFans.com

PFW: Top Underclassmen

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by mayoclinic, Jan 18, 2010.

1. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 0 / -1

Nolan Nawrocki from ProFootballWeekly, who is one of the best draftniks around, has a new analysis of underclassman draft prospects out:

ProFootballWeekly.com - McCoy, Bryant top underclassmen in NFL draft

Some very interesting things in his list:

1. He has Rolando McClain ranked #10 among underclassmen, which means that he's certainly not in Nawrocki's top 10 prospects given seniors such as Ndamukong Suh and Russell Okung. Nawrocki calls McClain "an excellent-sized, instinctive middle 'backer with outstanding football intelligence, McClain is tailor-made for the NFL game and will command heavy interest from teams employing "30" fronts."

2. He has Eric Berry ranked only #9 among underclassmen, much lower than I would have expected.

3. He has Jason Pierre-Paul ranked #4, the highest DE on his board, ahead of Derrick Morgan (#8). Pierre-Paul is raw. I'm surprised Nawrocki has him this high.

4. Guys not in the top 10 of underclassmen, who should therefore be within range of when the Pats pick, include:

- Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida - "A raw underachiever with a rare combination of size and athletic ability."
    - Earl Thomas, S, Texas - "An undersized, playmaking ballhawk who is fluid enough to transition to cornerback."

Finally, nowhere on his list is UCA DT Brian Price, who I think will be a top 15 pick.

Interesting list.
  2. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 17 / -2

Please repeat 3 times

The New England Patriots are NOT drafting a safety.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

LMAO, Safety this year is what TE was for me a few years ago. I want a TE now as we have a need. Belichick has drafted a 1st round Safety (Meriweather), an almost 1st round Safety (Chung) and extended Sanders. I won't mention McGowan as he was a cheap FA. We cannot use a top 4 round pick on a Safety, Belichick has spent abundantly on the position, he needs to make it work.
  4. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 0 / -1

Whoever said they were?
  5. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 17 / -2

:) You listed a safety as being within range of the pats.

I have the same view of drafting safeties as you do of TE's.

6. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

He can transition to corner ;)

Im starting to like Tate and Thomas as possible picks for us with Thomas becoming a Corner depending on how he runs.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  7. patriotscpfc

patriotscpfc Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If Myron Rolle is available in Round 4, i'm picking him up. I don't care who is cut, but Rolle is intelligent and can be a beast in the NFL. He'd need some time to get back into it anyway.
  8. MagnumPI5

MagnumPI5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Right on. Even though he isn't a great fit given our depth at safety, he would be a tough guy to pass up. I'd love to see him in a Patriots uniform.