Welcome to PatsFans.com

PFT: TFB could be the GOAT?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by NEPats1, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NEPats1

NEPats1 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've always thought if TB would already have #4 the mainstream media would be more receptive to this debate because it's a lot closer than people want to admit IMO.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0

If guys like Elway, Favre, Montana, Young and Gannon can have MVP/SB years into their mid-late 30's there is no question TB can.

Just need a good O-Line and running game to keep him from getting hit real hard.

3. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Nope. Montana coming out of the 3rd was one thing. Brady as a 6th rounder they panned matched with the HC they equally reluctantly find themselves having to acknowledge as a GOAT candidate after mocking him early on as well will always have to do exponentially more than a chosen one like Manning who seemingly did it all by hisself...:rolleyes: Prolific regular season empty stats are just more heavily weighted than winning championships. Like Boomer said yesterday Tommy's gonna hafta win one for the thumb...topping an entire franchise's accomplishments with multiple QB's...

4. nabwong

nabwong PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Marshall Faulk said Brady has less pressure to win than Manning cos he was a 6th round pick and Manning was a 1st round pick. WAHAHAHAHAHAHA... what a DB. I enjoyed watching Gameday morning yesterday as Faulk looked super uncomfortable around all the Patriots love.

5. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -2

No Jersey Selected

What in the world was the context for him saying such a thing?

I really don't think draft position has anything to do with it. It's based on performance, and it's hard to argue against TFB in any way. Especially if the post-season plays out the way we hope.

6. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +102 / 4 / -0

Wow, Marshall Faulk is so flat-out dumb it's a wonder he can make it to set in the morning. Right Marshall...I guess that contract extension Brady signed doesn't bring any pressure/responsibility with it....

As for GOAT talk, that's premature. Leave it to Colts fans to make judgments after the regular season. The real season is just beginning.

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I was embarrased for him. His other ammo was that Manning and Montana had to build bad teams into good ones while Brady was handed one. Right. They were 5-11 his rookie year in which he only appeared once I think and they were 0-2 when he became the Patriots starter in 01....that's an impressive 5-13 team he inherrited Marshall.

8. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0

It still amazes me that he can dress himself in the morning and brush his teeth.

9. nabwong

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Irvin had a good point. Manning's pressure as a 1st round pick was to win. Brady's pressure as a 6th round pick was not to get cut everyday. So Brady had to seize his chance right away and had no room for failure.

10. ahmed

ahmed Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

lol, the tragedy is that Faulk is smart and is a good analyst when it comes to non-Patriot things.

Brady actually had a lot more pressure. Everyone knows that a team would stick with the overall 1st pick for a few years jut because of the size of the investment no matter what (e.g. Russel & Leaf). While, Brady was an afterthought 6th rounder (comp pick at that) who had a former 1st overall and 100 million dollar QB breathing down his neck in his first season as a starter. So, Brady definitely had more pressure.

However, once they both became established, they both have equal pressure to succeed.

11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

In Peton's defense, he did have to play with Marshall Faulk...talk about pressure!:rolleyes:

12. Timbo717

Timbo717 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

This is a good point. If Manning had two seasons of being mediocre, the team likely sticks with him for one or two more due to the money invested. If Brady doesn't perform well (forget mediocre), then the team goes anouther route after the season and gets a different QB.

Manning's pressure as a #1 pick was moreso from outside sources like the media in terms of everyday worries, although given the type of competitor Peyton is I'm sure he pressured himself plenty as well. However, given the investment in him the team was ready to weather his early struggles if any. Brady's pressure was from worrying about his actual job security and he did not have that cushion of a multi-million $$ deal to keep his job.

13. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,398 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

Actually, it was more insane than that.

He said that Brady came into what was already a WINNING SYSTEM but when Manning came to the Colts the team that was awful at the start of his career.

I was waiting for Mariucci or Irvin or Eisen or SOMEBODY to shake their heads and say "Marshall, do you even PREPARE or do any HOMEWORK before going on the set?"

14. ahmed

ahmed Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I always find it funny how short everyone's memories are. They always say Brady came into a great situation. I still remember reading an article from 2000 that predicted the Patriots to be the worst team over the next decade.

If Brady stays healthy, I have absolutely no doubt he goes down as the Goat.

15. nabwong

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yeah, he said that too. One think I know for sure is, they already plan what to say before the show. But what I don't know is if the producers make them say these things or just let them freelance without any editing. I mean, Faulk can't be thaaaaaaaat stupid....

16. NEPats1

NEPats1 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I think Mel Kiper said the 2001 Pats would be the worst team in the league that year, and would get the 02 #1 pick.

17. Haley

Haley In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +214 / 4 / -1

I couldn't agree more. Maybe it is the homer in me, but I can't even see how this could end up any other way given the current trajectory.

18. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

If Brady wins this year he is at a tight tie with Joe Montana

If he wins one more after this year then the debate will be over and he is the GOAT without a doubt.

as of right now Montana has my vote but that can change soon.

19. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +320 / 5 / -1

Exactly the same kind of article was published last yr by various mediots that manning maybe the best ever if he won the SB which he didnt. This is just flavor of the yr. People seem to like to anoint people before its all over.

20. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

5 more quality seasons, 2 more rings, and he will be the GOAT.

He should be able

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.