PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: High-level executive: "IR issue way bigger than taping"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pat's issue has always been bigger than anything else in NFL. When do these idiots start to forget Pats and move on.?

Pat's issue has always been bigger than anything else in NFL. When do these idiots start to forget Pats and move on.?

They'll stop when we start losing - that'll be around 2013 or so, at the earliest :rocker:

Goodell addressed the IR issue during his press conference after meeting with Matt Walsh. He basically said that its an internal issue that's handled with a fine and that its not public record. Basically, he stated that other teams have been "caught" doing it and have been fined for it.

Isn’t the real story here the fact that a high level NFL exec has gone on record stating that when it comes to taping signals "everyone was doing it in some way." That’s big, very big, how did Florio miss that point?? So the exec is saying "spygate" was blown out of proportion, where was he these past 100+ days when the whole world was coming down on the Pats?? Now, when this is in the news, this is the bigger issue?? This NFL exec comment seemingly makes Goodell look like he is either incompetent or a liar, but we already knew that he was both here months ago.

Last edited:
Funny how it's never been an issue over the years when players with not that bad an injury went on IR, and nobody seemed concerned about whether or not they were practicing with the team. I doubt I was the only one that figured they were practicing with the team even if they weren't supposed to.

But now that Walsh and Tucker mention it, it's a huge transgression of the highest order? This witch hunt - mob mentality is really getting way out of control.

Also worth noting that the comment was unsolicited. The exec feels so strongly about it that he seeks out Florio (not the other way around), yet he won't go on the record and state his case publicly? Why would that be? Maybe because of personal feelings towards the Patriots, and let the media do the dirty work for him - while avoiding any scrutiny back on his own organization or his motives? And is he using Florio because some have figured out that espn and the nyt are biased?

Best guess it's either Polian or Casserly, just my opinion.

So that's your guess, huh? My money is on the esteemed Mike Tannenbaum....

you know what is way bigger than taping?

- Violating the salary cap (49ers and Broncos)
- Steroids (70's Steelers)
- Crowd noise and heated stadiums (Colts)
- Tampering (Mangini Jets)

I agree - Can we get the FRAMe writers to add an addendum to the site that highlights the obvious cheating that has been admitted to and discussed by players and coaches?

I think we need that OR we need to start a Wiki Page on Cheating in the NFL and highlight all of this crap.

I'm sick of being the scapegoat!

At some point executives and Goodell are going to have to come to terms with the fact that enforcing unenforceable rules is NOT in the best interest of football.

It's in the players and teams collective interests to allow players to practice when they are physically able to. A player doesn't want to sit on the sideline because of an outdated rule that says IR players can't practice even if they are physically able to. That hurts their career more than it hurts the team.
In a perfect world where everyone follows the rules you are right. Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world and the abuse that surely would happen would NOT be good for the players.

And the fact that the league has no interest or desire in policing every team - and would only know if a player complained of being forced to practice while injured - should tell them that its a stupid and unenforceable rule in the first place.
I don't agree that it is unenforceable.

sdfan

I can just see Bill Polian sitting back in his chair, laughing his arse off over this. :rofl:

The media is a face paint away from a bunch of clowns hyping an old, boring story.

IR = non-issue!

There goes the first rounder for next year. :rolleyes:

Many here just want to disregard this saying no big deal.

But it is. Cheating in any way is NOT acceptable.
If you think it is ... we have nothing to discuss.
If you believe Cheating is ok .... I just hope you are not responsible for
raising children.

Cheating is Cheating .... and it is wrong! it is not the message you want to
give to the youth of our Nation.

Assume this is true about ... Belichick allowing an IRed player to practice
then we got another violation of rules by our head coach.
How many other rules has he violated in order to get a competitive
advantage?

This is wrong and shows the Character of this man. Basically this man
is showing what he believes by his actions. It surely seems that
coach Belichick believes it is alright to break the rules if you don't get
caught. His sense of right and wrong gets thrown under the rug when
he is trying to get a competitive advantage.
He may be the greatest Xs and Os guy ever but he cheats and it
breaks my heart because I have believed in and defended this man more
times then I can remember.

Of for phuck's sake...I am reading Management Secrets of the NEP published in 2005 by James Lavin and on page 196, which I just read YESTERDAY he states for all and sundry to read that "...the Patriots sat him (Kliff Kingsbury) down and told him he would be 'injured' in 2003. The Patriots wanted to retain Kingsbury and let him learn their offense, but they couldn't sacrifice an active roster spot for a rookie quarterback who would never make it off the bench." How serious could this type of IR related thing be if it was written right out in the open by a guy who has a ton of respect for the Pats?

raising children.

advantage?

I don't know if it breaks my heart, but I come from the school that, if you're going to cheat, cheat BIG TIME, so the risk/reward ratio at least works in your favor. He seems to have been happy to take big risks for miniscule rewards, which is something I don't understand.

Wow, there really is a serious witch hunt going on right now.

If they start investigating IR stashing, then they might as well punish the whole league because Kraft and Belichick are not going to be the only whipping boys on this one.

raising children.

advantage?

Are your hands sore from all the wringing?

Get over yourself, this is just ESPN making up a story that fits their agenda. Goodell said these types of things are never reported...which is why we have never heard of it from other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft