PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King with a Blood Pumping, Feel Good Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still disagree with him on the Indy thing especially if Samuel is playing. As always, not trying to make excuses - but with Harrison, Wilson, Gay, Colvin, Seau all out last year (Colvin in the 2nd half) and with us adding Meriweather, it's easy to imagine our defense doing a lot better this year unless injuries strike again.

I think the point is that the starters you named are still older and/or injury prone guys, so that the injury excuse isn't one you can play because they are still relying on those same guys.

Look, it's training camp, I understand the cross-training aspect, it is completely understandable and important.

What I am afraid of is King makes it sound like our OC is trying something way over his head, with some new formations we will see this year in real games that don't make any sense. Please, I don't want to see any more double reverses for 8 yard losses at inopportune times, or a complete inability to recognize and adapt to a defense.

Really? Because that isn't what I read. What King said is that it was INTERESTING. Nothing more, nothing less. YOU are the only one making the absurd comments and implying that McDaniels is trying something way over his head.

If there is a complete inability to recognize and adapt to a defense its the fault of the players more than it is McDaniels. Or its a fault of Manguarian (the coach upstairs).

As long as it is for cross-training, I have absolutely no problems with it. But IF it is in preparation for some actual plays this year, then I will be pissed. Welker should never be outside more than 1 play a game.

Why would you be pissed? It absurd to be "pissed" about it. This garbage that Welker should never be outside for more than 1 play a game is just laughable. Reggie Wayne regularly moves INSIDE the slot man when he's in motion, making himself the slot man. Marvin Harrison has done it.

To make such illogical statements as you are making shows a lack of ability to comprehend the entirety of the game.

I think the point is that the starters you named are still older and/or injury prone guys, so that the injury excuse isn't one you can play because they are still relying on those same guys.

Say What??? :eek:

If a player is injured in 2006 it is logical to believe that the same player will be injured in 2007?? Even if the player has freak injuries two years in a row, it's logical to assume that he will have another the next year????:eek:

As PATSNUTme said, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Leave it to Peter King or most other sports writers to talk about "the offense" without a mention of the offensive line, probably Brady and the pats' best weapon when they have the ball.

Just had to get that off my chest. Line play rules the game - not some bean pole catching the ball.

As PATSNUTme said, that makes no sense whatsoever.

I said older and/or injury prone guys, so Harrison would fall into the category of an older guy. It may have been a freak injury, but the fact is Rodney got hurt in the game against Indy after getting beat by Marvin Harrison on a bomb, not from laying on a big hit. Rodney has been a great safety over the course of his career, but the norm for hard-hitting safeties has been their bodies breaking down on them. I would be shocked to see him play an entire year, just so many hard hits over the year take a toll on your body, and it's too bad that the greats at that position don't get their due in the Hall for all the sacrifices they make.
Eugene Wilson has missed 16 out of a possible 37 games the past two years. Randall Gay has missed 29 out of 37. Junior Seau has only played 26 games in the past 3 seasons. I think that makes them injury risks in the very least.
From listening to Rosie on EEI, I have found him to be one of the most likable players in all of sports, but I do think his skill-set is declining as he is getting on with age, and that he lacks consistency as a pass rush threat and is at best average against the run.

McDaniels is TERRIBLE!

The guy couldn't call a play if it had a telephone number. He is GROSS!

Well, Peter King did write:

Tom Brady's sending Randy Moss in motion in one direction and Wes Welker the other way and calling signals -- "White! Twenty! White-twenty!! setHUT!!!'' -- and suddenly a group of wretched scribes begin to see what all the March and April fuss was about.

Now, if McDaniels is designing plays with two people in motion at the same time, then he really IS an idiot.

One part of that article bothered me, the part where it said on some plays the Pats receivers are being put in non-ideal places (Welker sprinting on the outside, Moss in the slot running an in-route, etc).

McDaniels needs to stop being cute and just put players in the best position where they will excel. Only McDaniels can screw up this juggernaut offense this year.

Hi NEM, are you back?

Just kidd'n?

so with your theory they were hurt last year they will be hurt this year, brilliant your so smart thanks for telling us, now go back to your basement and let mommy bring you dinner

My fav line was of course by my fav player Rodney: "Are you kidding me? He runs the same as I've seen him. You watch him this year. Watch any team that tries to put its best cornerback on him one-on-one. I can't wait to see that. He will eat you alive. Ain't no way he's lost his legs.'' :D

Hi NEM, are you back?

Just kidd'n?

Just because NEM said something doesn't make it automatically wrong.

If you were an NBA coach of the Spurs and played Tim Duncan at small forward, Ginobili at power forward, and the team was less productive, would you blame the coach for a crappy lineup/rotation decision, or the players for playing poorly because their skills weren't optimized?

Last edited:
I'm not sure....

>>>>6. I still worry about the defense's ability to get off the field on third down. Particularly against Peyton Manning. They're not alone, of course. But it's dangerous when you know your offense is probably going to have to score in the high 30s to beat anyone, and that's how I see New England's chances against Indy right now.

Does he really think the NE defense is that bad?????????
"anyone" refers to the Colts.

so with your theory they were hurt last year they will be hurt this year, brilliant your so smart thanks for telling us, now go back to your basement and let mommy bring you dinner

No, I actually explained my "theory" above pretty clearly, although after reading your post with your lack of punctuation, inability to comprehend how the contraction "you are" works, and clever Mom's basement joke, I sure as hell wouldn't expect you to understand it.

Can anyone remind me how many TD passes OLB Mike Vrabel has subbing as a TE?

Thanks.

Wasn't it 6? But you knew that, didn't you!;)

Nice try Mo, but as I get to the end of this thread I'm feeling like raw meat has been thrown to the dogs!!!! Oh joy, only a month till TC!

If you were an NBA coach of the Spurs and played Tim Duncan at small forward, Ginobili at power forward, and the team was less productive, would you blame the coach for a crappy lineup/rotation decision, or the players for playing poorly because their skills weren't optimized?

You keep bringing up examples that don't prove a damned thing in your favor. Tim Duncan plays both center and power forward. Lesser players like Al Jefferson, LaMarcus Aldridge and many more do the same thing.

Do yourself a favor and quit while you're way behind.

I said older and/or injury prone guys, so Harrison would fall into the category of an older guy. It may have been a freak injury, but the fact is Rodney got hurt in the game against Indy after getting beat by Marvin Harrison on a bomb, not from laying on a big hit.

I don't know if anyone answered you, but you don't know what you are talking about. Harrison wasn't injured in the Colts game. Harrison didn't play in the Colts game. Harrison was injured in the Titans game when Bobby Wade intentionally went for his knee.

You are talking about Eugene Wilson, whose hamstring was already injured prior to the Colts game.

Rodney has been a great safety over the course of his career, but the norm for hard-hitting safeties has been their bodies breaking down on them. I would be shocked to see him play an entire year, just so many hard hits over the year take a toll on your body, and it's too bad that the greats at that position don't get their due in the Hall for all the sacrifices they make.
Eugene Wilson has missed 16 out of a possible 37 games the past two years. Randall Gay has missed 29 out of 37. Junior Seau has only played 26 games in the past 3 seasons. I think that makes them injury risks in the very least.
From listening to Rosie on EEI, I have found him to be one of the most likable players in all of sports, but I do think his skill-set is declining as he is getting on with age, and that he lacks consistency as a pass rush threat and is at best average against the run.

You are clueless as to Colvin as well. He just turned 30 and is still in his prime. You claim he lacks consistency for the Pass rush, but that is garbage and shows you don't know what you are talking about. As for him being average at best against the run, maybe back in 2003 that was the case, but Colvin is better than average now.

You keep bringing up examples that don't prove a damned thing in your favor. Tim Duncan plays both center and power forward. Lesser players like Al Jefferson, LaMarcus Aldridge and many more do the same thing.

Do yourself a favor and quit while you're way behind.

No, the thing it IS a similar example. If you were Doc Rivers and you kept playing Perkins at PF and Jefferson at C, and the results were bad, would you blame the coach or players?

If you have two stud receivers in Moss and Stallworth, they should be out wide on almost every single play. It is increasing the degree of difficulty to have guys like Welker playing outside when he is probably average out there yet exceptional in the slot.

How about you stick to metaphors that actually make some sense and would be applicable to the scenario. This is sport with 11 players on each side. A team can put up to 5 WRs on the field at one time. Those WRs could be lined up in any number of variations and the players have to know the variations and the defensive reads from each spot. If they don't, then the play is likely to fail because the player will go to the wrong spot.

I find it amazing that you were still trying to defend a "point" that was so obviously not well thought out (as shown by your back-pedaling). You put your own mis-interpretation on what King was saying. That is YOUR issue and not that of Peter King's. And that is where the entire issue lies. With you.

I don't know if anyone answered you, but you don't know what you are talking about. Harrison wasn't injured in the Colts game. Harrison didn't play in the Colts game. Harrison was injured in the Titans game when Bobby Wade intentionally went for his knee.
He was talking about Harrison's first injury last year when he was tackling M. Harrison - still a freak injury which doesn't make him injury prone.

He was talking about Harrison's first injury last year when he was tackling M. Harrison - still a freak injury which doesn't make him injury prone.

I didn't remember Harrison getting injured then. But you're right and I goofed. It happens.

As you pointed out, it was a freak injury and doesn't make him injury prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft