PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King with a Blood Pumping, Feel Good Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
The blood stopped pumping when I reached item 6. in the article. I agree with King.

Compare our D to last season:

D-line: about the same
LB: most of the old guys slightly weaker than last year. AD an obvious improvement, but he's just one guy.
DB: weaker at CB with Samuel gone. (We'll see.) About the same at Safety. (I don't count on Wilson to improve the unit.)

So overall, AD counterbalances the decline elsewhere at LB, and maybe even helps make up for some of the loss at CB, but not all. Overall unit: equal to or slightly weaker than last year's, which the Colts ate up twice.

I agree with King.

Samuel is most certainly a wildcard, but you don't give enough credit to the LBs or safeties.

In the early games where Bruschi and Seau manned the middle, Vrabel looked very good. It was only after he had transfered back inside and his back started acting up that his play dropped off. Assuming the AD frees Vrabel up to play more on the outside, that is a big win. On top of that, from what I have read, Bruschi has played a different ILB position since Johnson retired. It seems as if AD's arrival lets Bruschi move back to his more suitable position.

Even if if is assumed that Bruschi and Vrabel slope downward, Colvin should be just as effective and AD is a *huge* upgrade over TBC (or even Seau if you want to play it that way). Seau is now the 5th LB and one would have to think that someone out of Alexander, Mays or Woods will at least become a decent part-timer.

With regard to safeties, NE only allowed more than 17 points when Harrison was on the field once. And that game was the game where the Jags where stymied for nearly the entire game, but got a fluke TD from MJD and a TD against NE's prevent D at the end. I can see the argument that Harrison cannot be counted on to stay healthy, but it is also unlikely that Harrison, Wilson and Gay will all miss most of the year and Hawkins (if he makes the team) and Sanders will both then miss a good amount of a playoff game.

Hell, even if that happens, NE should still be in better shape with Merriweather (I realize that he is a rookie, but NE has a tremendous track record with 1st rounders) and another year for Andrews and Baker.

I realize that injuries will influence everything, but I can't see how those two positions will be anything other than improved over last year. Frankly, as long as NE's DL stays healthy, I am not all that worried about Samuel's absence. I sincerely believe that Hobbs and Gay of 2007 will be at least as good as Samuel and Gay of 2004.

Samuel is most certainly a wildcard, but you don't give enough credit to the LBs or safeties.

In the early games where Bruschi and Seau manned the middle, Vrabel looked very good. It was only after he had transfered back inside and his back started acting up that his play dropped off. Assuming the AD frees Vrabel up to play more on the outside, that is a big win. On top of that, from what I have read, Bruschi has played a different ILB position since Johnson retired. It seems as if AD's arrival lets Bruschi move back to his more suitable position.

Even if if is assumed that Bruschi and Vrabel slope downward, Colvin should be just as effective and AD is a *huge* upgrade over TBC (or even Seau if you want to play it that way). Seau is now the 5th LB and one would have to think that someone out of Alexander, Mays or Woods will at least become a decent part-timer.

With regard to safeties, NE only allowed more than 17 points when Harrison was on the field once. And that game was the game where the Jags where stymied for nearly the entire game, but got a fluke TD from MJD and a TD against NE's prevent D at the end. I can see the argument that Harrison cannot be counted on to stay healthy, but it is also unlikely that Harrison, Wilson and Gay will all miss most of the year and Hawkins (if he makes the team) and Sanders will both then miss a good amount of a playoff game.

Hell, even if that happens, NE should still be in better shape with Merriweather (I realize that he is a rookie, but NE has a tremendous track record with 1st rounders) and another year for Andrews and Baker.

I realize that injuries will influence everything, but I can't see how those two positions will be anything other than improved over last year. Frankly, as long as NE's DL stays healthy, I am not all that worried about Samuel's absence. I sincerely believe that Hobbs and Gay of 2007 will be at least as good as Samuel and Gay of 2004.

Owl, your good analysis is cheering me a bit. Agreed there are many unknowns, especially in regard to injuries.

If Meriweather's hamstring isn't as bad as Chad Jackson's, and if Bruschi has enough speed left to be better than TBC (which the hosts of PFW In Progress seem to doubt), and if Seau stays healthy, and if Vrabel is allowed to play outside, and if Wilson still has it, and if Rodney's string of bad-luck injuries comes to an end, then yes, we'll be great. I also like Woods.

Be careful about comparing our CBs to the "Samuel and Gay of 2004" because WE'RE NO LONGER FACING THE SAME PEYTON MANNING AS 2004. Somehow in the last year or so, he finally learned how to be patient. Too many fans on this board still act as if we've continued to hold the Colts to 3 points lately. (I don't mean you, Owl.)

The blood stopped pumping when I reached item 6. in the article. I agree with King.

Compare our D to last season:

D-line: about the same
LB: most of the old guys slightly weaker than last year. AD an obvious improvement, but he's just one guy.
DB: weaker at CB with Samuel gone. (We'll see.) About the same at Safety. (I don't count on Wilson to improve the unit.)

So overall, AD counterbalances the decline elsewhere at LB, and maybe even helps make up for some of the loss at CB, but not all. Overall unit: equal to or slightly weaker than last year's, which the Colts ate up twice.
:confused:

There's a lot more than Thomas coming back. Seau. Harrison. Wilson. Gay. Meriweather. And in the second half of the Colts game other like Colvin and Hawkins were out too. Some of them aren't "starters" you might say ? Sure but a Wilson or a Gay helps a LOT when trying to cover the Dallas Clarks of the world. Wilson not an improvement ? Well in the second half Rashad Baker was playing that spot - even if he has upside, he was a liability last year and Wilson, et al, clearly are an upgrade over him. That's a tremendous amount of coverage ability that was out last year or has since been added this offseason.

If Meriweather's hamstring isn't as bad as Chad Jackson's
Even if it is :

- Meriweather tweaked his at least a month earlier than Jackson = quicker return if equal injuries.

- Jackson would have been a significant contributor anyway but he wasn't emotionally or mentally ready to be a pro.

and if Bruschi has enough speed left to be better than TBC (which the hosts of PFW In Progress seem to doubt)
I think it was Breer, it was someone, who said that Bruschi looks quicker this spring. Even if not, we have more flexibility now with Seau back and the young LB a year more developed. Last year we had to move every LB except Bruschi when Seau got hurt. Even if Seau gets hurt again we're more able to deal with it now that TBC's replacement isn't a ROLB only.

Even if it is :

- Meriweather tweaked his at least a month earlier than Jackson = quicker return if equal injuries.

Jackson tweaked his Summer 2006 --- June, wasn't it? --- (and was never really "right" even when he played later), so Meriweather would've had to have been out most of 2006 for this to be quite true. When did Meriweather tweak his anyway?

Also "quicker return" [than Jackson] means quicker than 15 months, assuming Chad is back around September/October (which I'll believe when I see it).

Last edited:
Owl, your good analysis is cheering me a bit. Agreed there are many unknowns, especially in regard to injuries.

If Meriweather's hamstring isn't as bad as Chad Jackson's, and if Bruschi has enough speed left to be better than TBC (which the hosts of PFW In Progress seem to doubt), and if Seau stays healthy, and if Vrabel is allowed to play outside, and if Wilson still has it, and if Rodney's string of bad-luck injuries comes to an end, then yes, we'll be great. I also like Woods.

Be careful about comparing our CBs to the "Samuel and Gay of 2004" because WE'RE NO LONGER FACING THE SAME PEYTON MANNING AS 2004. Somehow in the last year or so, he finally learned how to be patient. Too many fans on this board still act as if we've continued to hold the Colts to 3 points lately. (I don't mean you, Owl.)

1) I'm not sure how the comparison between Bruschi and TBC relates to anything. Bruschi hasn't played outside since 2000.

2) You are putting far too many ifs in the second paragraph. NE was good enough to hold Indy to 6 points in the first half of the AFCCG. THey collapsed down the stretch, but it took a series of *bad* ifs to make that happen. That is what many people are forgetting.

3) Amazingly enough, Indy had just as much offensive success in 2003 and 2004 in the regular season as they did in last year's regular season. NE then proceeded to hold Indy in check for nearly an entire half before collapsing down the stretch. Even if we assume that everything bad that happened to NE last year happens this year, just the addition of AD and Merriweather, along with what should be a capable passing game would have won them that game. Indy would never have even gotten within 10 points and of that I am sure.

I don't expect NE to hold Indy to 3 points, but King's statement about 30+ points is way overblown. Besides that, NE should put up 30+ points with the offense that they have and Indy god-awful defense.

Jackson tweaked his Summer 2006 --- June, wasn't it? --- (and was never really "right" even when he played later), so Meriweather would've had to have been out most of 2006 for this to be quite true. When did Meriweather tweak his anyway?

Also "quicker return" [than Jackson] means quicker than 15 months, assuming Chad is back around September/October (which I'll believe when I see it).
The 15 month thing is silly because Jackson subsequently tore his ACL. So forget about that.

As for the hamstring, yes, it was probably sometime in June for Jackson - certainly between the minicamp and training camp. For Meriweather it was 3 weeks before minicamp. So it was 3 weeks earlier plus the unknown of how much time it happened to Jackson after minicamp. 4-6 weeks earlier I would guess. Anyway, Jackson was "right" physically when he played, he had just lost too much time, a combination of missing camp and apparently being somewhat immature. Meriweather has a 4-6 week head start on him on being ready for camp - a long time - and there's no reason to believe he'll have the maturity issues until we see them.

Its amazing how reality doesn't agree with you.

Jackson = June 2006.
Meriweather = May 2007

Comparing the MONTHS only, Meriweather tweaked his hamstring before Jackson did. So Jackson had less time to recuperate before being pressed into service.

Jackson was on the field for 11 games last season and 3 play-off games. It wasn't until the AFCCG that he tore his ACL. Prior to that, he was helping as a blocker in the running game and was on special teams EARNING HIS STRIPES. Doing what was asked of him. He returned some punts and was on the kick coverage team.

So, I really don't understand where you get this 15 months from because its BS.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone answered you, but you don't know what you are talking about. Harrison wasn't injured in the Colts game. Harrison didn't play in the Colts game. Harrison was injured in the Titans game when Bobby Wade intentionally went for his knee.

You are talking about Eugene Wilson, whose hamstring was already injured prior to the Colts game.

So you can't remember key injuries to key players in one of the biggest games of last season, and yet I don't know what I'm talking about? This is the hardest hitting safety in the history of the game, in his 14th season, coming off of injuries that have caused him to miss 24 of the last 37 games. Safety's break down, it is a fact, and every piece of evidence points to that being the case with Rodney, and to say anything otherwise is just wearing homer blinders.

You are clueless as to Colvin as well. He just turned 30 and is still in his prime. You claim he lacks consistency for the Pass rush, but that is garbage and shows you don't know what you are talking about. As for him being average at best against the run, maybe back in 2003 that was the case, but Colvin is better than average now.

I am sorry but Rosie is not still in his prime, he has come back to play well from a devastating hip injury, but his skill set is clearly declining. He does not have better than average ability anymore at setting the edge verse the run, and unless you are living in Pete Shepherd "everyone on the Patriots at their position is the best in the league" Fantasy Land, to call him better than average at that is laughable at best.

So you can't remember key injuries to key players in one of the biggest games of last season, and yet I don't know what I'm talking about? This is the hardest hitting safety in the history of the game, in his 14th season, coming off of injuries that have caused him to miss 24 of the last 37 games. Safety's break down, it is a fact, and every piece of evidence points to that being the case with Rodney, and to say anything otherwise is just wearing homer blinders.

Considering everything else that happened last season, I think, being a human being, I can forget about something that happened during a regular season game. A BIGGER injury was when Bobby Wade intentionally went for Harrison's knee to try and end his career. THAT is a bigger issue.

Every single piece of evidence does NOT point to that happening with Rodney. That is just stupid. CATASTROPHIC injuries are not a signed of a player breaking down. Rodney's Broken arm; Catastrophic. Rodney's left knee ACL ; Catastrophic. Rodney's Right MCL ; Catastrophic. Him tweaking his hamstring? MINOR. And that is the only injury that might have been able to have been avoided.

BTW, Rodney came back from the hamstring tweak and played in the final 2 games of the season before Wade's cheap shot.

I am sorry but Rosie is not still in his prime, he has come back to play well from a devastating hip injury, but his skill set is clearly declining. He does not have better than average ability anymore at setting the edge verse the run, and unless you are living in Pete Shepherd "everyone on the Patriots at their position is the best in the league" Fantasy Land, to call him better than average at that is laughable at best.

Hmm.. Rosie recorded the most number of sacks in his Patriots career and played better against the run than he ever has in his career and now, he's no longer in his prime? Sorry, but your analysis doesn't jive.

It's amazing how you can't write a post without being abrasive!

Would you quit your complaining already? Its not my fault that you grossly over-reacted to King's article and made things up that just weren't there. Not to mention that I wasn't the only one to point this out to you, yet you still insisted on dragging the issue on.

Considering everything else that happened last season, I think, being a human being, I can forget about something that happened during a regular season game. A BIGGER injury was when Bobby Wade intentionally went for Harrison's knee to try and end his career. THAT is a bigger issue.

Oh give me a break, trying to end his career, it was a legal block as determined by the on field refs, and the refs after the game. 100% a legal play, no way was it a crack back block, he went straight at Harrison, squared, and blocked him straight on and low thigh level. This is the same man, who after being blocked into Trent Green's knees in a preseason game said he deserved to be The Rams MVP as it lead to Warner's magical run, excuse me for not breaking out the violins for a guy who is regarded as the leagues dirtiest player and been fined more than any other player for illegal hits, when he was injured by a legal hit.

Hmm.. Rosie recorded the most number of sacks in his Patriots career and played better against the run than he ever has in his career and now, he's no longer in his prime? Sorry, but your analysis doesn't jive.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on Rosie's ability to set the edge vs. the run at this stage in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back