PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: Why NFL Should Give Back Picks to Pats (But Won’t)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack Herron

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
King: Roger Goodell needs to give back the picks.

Roger Goodell should give back NFL draft picks to Patriots | The MMQB with Peter King
Shaky evidence, shady science and total disinterest in learning the truth are grounds for Roger Goodell to admit he erred by docking New England draft picks for Deflategate.

But just because the league won’t do it doesn’t mean we should forget it, or stop pointing out the errors that resulted in this discipline run amok, or point out that Goodell should do the right thing.

King: Why NFL Should Give Back Picks to Pats

Roger Goodell should give back NFL draft picks to Patriots | The MMQB with Peter King

Well, this is another significant shift. Still, he has a paragraph in the other direction:

There’s a lot of circumstantial evidence against New England. Patriots locker room attendant Jim McNally disappearing with the footballs before the AFC Championship Game for 100 seconds was wrong, and shady. McNally and team equipment assistant John Jastremski being held back from an additional interview with the Wells investigators was wrong. The six phone calls, once the NFL announced it would investigate whether the balls were deflated, from Brady to Jastremski when they rarely ever spoke on the phone doesn’t quite stink, but it’s got an odor to it. McNally calling himself “the deflator” in a May 2014 text is a bad look.
Peter King is a weathervane for the football establishment and this is about as strongly worded a piece against Goodell as you could hope for.

Yeah, but he still sucks.

He's trying to appease his League sources by saying "there's a lot of circumstantial evidence" that points to guilt. 6 phone calls from Brady to Jastremski, a Deflator text, a minute and a half in the bathroom for McNally, and the team holding McNally back from the rubber hose treatment.

**** him and the white horse he thinks he's riding in on....

Beaten by 5 minutes ... Mods: please merge.

Well, this is another significant shift. Still, he has a paragraph in the other direction:

There’s a lot of circumstantial evidence against New England. Patriots locker room attendant Jim McNally disappearing with the footballs before the AFC Championship Game for 100 seconds was wrong, and shady. McNally and team equipment assistant John Jastremski being held back from an additional interview with the Wells investigators was wrong. The six phone calls, once the NFL announced it would investigate whether the balls were deflated, from Brady to Jastremski when they rarely ever spoke on the phone doesn’t quite stink, but it’s got an odor to it. McNally calling himself “the deflator” in a May 2014 text is a bad look.
Peter King is a weathervane for the football establishment and this is about as strongly worded a piece against Goodell as you could hope for.

Yeah, he still gets it wrong, by interpreting a handful of random acts through the lens of the assumption that something happened.

Yeah, but he still sucks.

He's trying to appease his League sources by saying "there's a lot of circumstantial evidence" that points to guilt. 6 phone calls from Brady to Jastremski, a Deflator text, a minute and a half in the bathroom for McNally, and the team holding McNally back from the rubber hose treatment.

**** him and the white horse he thinks he's riding in on....

King is a paper kite that dips and flies whichever way the wind is blowing.

Agree with both these quotes. That's what's significant: when King says this, it's a pretty good indicator that that is all that the guys in the League establishment have still got to hang on to.

Agree with both these quotes. That's what's significant: when King says this, it's a pretty good indicator that that is all that the guys in the League establishment have still got to hang on to.
And if he took this flimsy "evidence" and paired it with his point to the owners that this could happen to you, well then, maybe, just maybe he'd have the thing that Kraft could wave at the other owners. Not that they need to believe that the Pats were innocent but "Hey Dipshitz! Look at all that it takes to screw you, too."

Link says "page not found." Even the link from the home page is dead.

Don't get your hopes up, even King admits in the article, that Godell will never admit his mistake and give the picks back.

Either Kraft is going to have to come out publically and challenge Goodell to give them back, or Brady will have to file a defamation lawsuit after th court rules.

Well, I don't have any hope of seeing the picks again. But ...

Now is the time to confront the last shreds of the case against the Pats. What was Jastremki's and McNally's evidence? What was Brady's? Why didn't the League make their side of the story public?

Also, what about an experiment to test the League's story? Give a guy a pin and ask him to take exactly 2 psi out of a bag of footballs in 100 seconds flat.

And now is the time to go for the back story. Who planned the "sting"? The leaks? What was their background and interest?

Taking down the League structure is my hope.

And if he took this flimsy "evidence" and paired it with his point to the owners that this could happen to you, well then, maybe, just maybe he'd have the thing that Kraft could wave at the other owners. Not that they need to believe that the Pats were innocent but "Hey Dipshitz! Look at all that it takes to screw you, too."

From the other owners point of view, I'd think they enjoy Krafts comeuppence. He's been vocally supportive of Goodell in other issuses such as Bountygate and the punishments for the Cowboys and Redskins during the uncapped year. He then came in on his high horse and from reports/rumours told them they should just take the punishments and move on. It's not a big surprise that Kraft has no support when he cries foul play.

Last edited:
To this day, I cannot understand why Brady calling Jastremski so much after he found out that the League were investigating him means anything. Sure a guilty man would have phone activity like that, but so would an innocent man. It proves nothing. It suggests not much more. I don't get why people harp on it.

If I was Brady and I found out during a radio interview that I was accused of cheating, the first thing I would do when I got off the air would to be to call everyone to find out what the hell is going on and whether anyone did anything that I didn't know about.

Last edited:
When can we expect the appeals court to rule?

Give a guy a pin and ask him to take exactly 2 psi out of a bag of footballs in 100 seconds flat.

0.02 psi, not 2 psi

11.32 vs. 11.30

with an error bar in the measurement of plus/minus 0.4!

He brings up stuff we have all been saying but....why still fine the team? Suspicion? Bad looks? So Goody can save face, somehow?

Jas and Brady do talk. They spoke before the whole thing went down and after.

Isn't it reasonable to suppose that McNally took the balls because he was running late then decided to take a leak? That was the same testimony that he said repeatedly 5 times.

This is what drives me nuts with King. He contradicts himself throughout the article.

He said it himself....

There’s no smoking gun. No witness, video, recording or any direct evidence linking anyone with the Patriots to deflating footballs.

How he comes up with these arbitrary rationalizations that make absolutely no sense.

Give back the picks but keep the fines in place? Wha?

Note how he doesn't touch the Brady suspension issue.

Last edited:
He brings up stuff we have all been saying but....why still fine the team? Suspicion? Bad looks? So Goody can save face, somehow?

Jas and Brady do talk. They spoke before the whole thing went down and after.

Isn't it reasonable to suppose that McNally took the balls because he was running late then decided to take a leak?

This is what drives me nuts with King. He contradicts himself throughout the article.

He said it himself....

To be fair its hard not to contradict yourself in this stupid thing unless you take the stance that no air was intentionally let out.

To be fair its hard not to contradict yourself in this stupid thing unless you take the stance that no air was intentionally let out.
Yep.

King, Felger and 100s of other "journalists" are still in the camp of, 'I think something happened' and unless you believe that nothing happened your interpretation of what actually happened will always have sprinklings of doubt mixed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST