PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: Why NFL Should Give Back Picks to Pats (But Won’t)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We shouldn't underestimate that King now lives in NYC (across the street from me, BTW...I bump into him once in a while when we're walking our dogs in the morning), where he's been fed a regular diet of Gary Myers saying how absurd Deflategate is in the NY Daily News...good thing he still doesn't live in Boston where he'd be reading the CHB's attacks on the Pats and their fans in the Globule with his breakfast.

To this day, I cannot understand why Brady calling Jastremski so much after he found out that the League were investigating him means anything. Sure a guilty man would have phone activity like that, but so would an innocent man. It proves nothing. It suggests not much more. I don't get why people harp on it.

If I was Brady and I found out during a radio interview that I was accused of cheating, the first thing I would do when I got off the air would to be to call everyone to find out what the hell is going on and whether anyone did anything that I didn't know about.

I cant understand to this day why McNally taking the bag of balls to the bathroom, and stayed for a whopping 100 seconds got so much time for being suspicious.

The amount of time it takes to unzip, pee, shake and wash your hands takes over 100 seconds..

To be honest, I'm pretty sick of the radio silence from McNally. If the dude never did anything, then why isn't he on TV saying it.
I'm pretty sure that he's been told to keep his ****ing mouth shut. Anything he says can and will be twisted and used against the Patriots. Silence is golden.

He brings up stuff we have all been saying but....why still fine the team? Suspicion? Bad looks? So Goody can save face, somehow?

Jas and Brady do talk. They spoke before the whole thing went down and after.

Isn't it reasonable to suppose that McNally took the balls because he was running late then decided to take a leak? That was the same testimony that he said repeatedly 5 times.

This is what drives me nuts with King. He contradicts himself throughout the article.

He said it himself....

How he comes up with these arbitrary rationalizations makes absolutely no sense.

Give back the picks but keep the fines in place? Wha?

Note how he doesn't touch the Brady suspension issue.
Just covering all the bases. Later on he can say that he called it. Saying there is a lot, or overwhelming circumstancial evidence that the pats did something because Mcnally took the balls in to the br for 90 seconds, or brady talked to jas six times is grasping for straws.

At least King is saying something. That's more than Kraft is doing. He'll probably wait til after the draft and issue another apology.

There's one confirmed violation of rules -- McNally taking the footballs without making sure the league knew where he was going with them.

I'm OK with a fine for that.

So it is actually true that the guy carrying the balls to the field has to inform the League that he's stopping to take a piss? And all of the other ball carriers do that, and have been doing that as a matter of routine procedure? So McNally is a clear outlier in this?

King struck me as a shill for the NFL so I was pretty surprised that he wrote this

I'm pretty sure that he's been told to keep his ****ing mouth shut. Anything he says can and will be twisted and used against the Patriots. Silence is golden.

For me, thats been one of the fascinating things here. Nobody, nowhere has him on record as saying a word about this.

McNally is a part-time employee. He might make a couple of hundred bucks a game to do what he does- thats it.

There was/is nothing stopping him from talking to someone about this.

I have been told by someone who is friends with someone who knows him is that he has politely declined discussing the matter.

There are reasons why he has/is not discussed this.

1. He has signed some kind of confidentiality/non-disclosure agreement with the Pats or the NFL and holy hell will rain on him if he talks.

2. He is a stand -up guy and will not rat out the Pats or views talking about it just makes him look foolish. There is a good saying which people will only think you are dumb if you say something dumb. He might be taking this advice.

3. He silence was paid for.

I agree, but only because Goodell is a douche. Because Kraft (a) had no recourse, and (b) thought that "capitulating" so early would be the olive branch that would keep Goodell off Brady.
Yes. That is Kraft's story. He was led to believe that if he put down the sword then Brady would be spared. He was double-crossed. At least that is his story

Yes. That is Kraft's story. He was led to believe that if he put down the sword then Brady would be spared. He was double-crossed. At least that is his story

Do you have any reason to think that this story is not accurate? Why else would he agree to take a penalty that his team didn't deserve? What recourse did he have?

I cant understand to this day why McNally taking the bag of balls to the bathroom, and stayed for a whopping 100 seconds got so much time for being suspicious.

The amount of time it takes to unzip, pee, shake and wash your hands takes over 100 seconds..

I do think it is funny that so many people in the media think it is ridiculous to believe that McNally might have actually just have taken a leak in that 100 seconds. As if no one actually urinates in a bathroom.

1. He has signed some kind of confidentiality/non-disclosure agreement with the Pats or the NFL and holy hell will rain on him if he talks.
The NFL is not the federal government. They can't do crap to the guy if he talks about his own innocence (beyond firing him).
2. He is a stand -up guy and will not rat out the Pats or views talking about it just makes him look foolish.
The Pats did nothing wrong. Unless you decide to start lying, how can you "rat out" someone who did nothing wrong?

Do you have any reason to think that this story is not accurate? Why else would he agree to take a penalty that his team didn't deserve? What recourse did he have?

I don't have a solid reason to think different than what he gave as an explanation so with that said you have to believe him.

However, it still urks me that almost 24 hours later after Peter King's interview with Kraft in which he was defiant and defiant can be he totally caves in and capitulates. Something happened. Was it a chat with Goody and he was given false reassurances (as Bob said) OR was it the other owners who blanket partied Bob and because of that, instead of looking like a complete wimp in front of everyone he makes up this story so he can save some dignity and throws Goody under the bus. It's a theory I can't prove...

Last edited:
The NFL is not the federal government. They can't do crap to the guy if he talks about his own innocence (beyond firing him).

A corporation can sue an employee for breach of contract. You have two multi-billion organizations with endless resources v. a guy who works for Bellavance Beverages in Nashua, NH.

The Pats did nothing wrong. Unless you decide to start lying, how can you "rat out" someone who did nothing wrong?

Money can easily sway a person's truth if they let it. Do you think the NFL would want to pay off McNally to say that he "took the needle" to 12 balls in the bathroom before a game?

I don't have a solid reason to think different than what he gave as an explanation so with that said you have to believe him.

However, it still urks me that almost 24 hours later after Peter King's interview with Kraft in which he was defiant and defiant can be he totally caves in and capitulates. Something happened. Was it a chat with Goody and he was given false reassurances (as Bob said) OK was it the other owners who blanket partied Bob and because of that, instead of looking like a complete wimp in front of everyone he makes up this story so he can save some dignity and throws Goody under the bus. It's a theory I can't prove...

Well, ask yourself about the character of the people involved. Kraft is a businessman, and as a businessman he is interested in the bottom line most of all. But Goodell....is a snake, a douche, a liar, a sneak. He's underhanded. He looks right at you and deceives you. We know this is true of him - we've seen it time and time and time again.

So if you have to ask whether Goodell back-stabbed Kraft or Kraft is just throwing Goodell under the bus to save some face, which one makes more sense given what we know about each guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST