PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does this comment by Peter King, comparing Chip Kelly to BB, pi$$ me off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this time last year thats all i heard was chip kelly that, chip kelly is the next Great thinker/tactician in the nfl. because of all his 'daring' personel moves. It was sickening, and thats why it was so great when he was sacked. To compare kelly to BB show what an azzclown idiot King is.

Peter King was one of the people telling everyone what an innovative, super-genius Kelly was last year. I'm sure Kelly was also ignoring ignoring his scouts recommendations during his first 2 years, when he was winning 10 games a season. People like King didn't see an issue with it then. It was all part of the refreshing "new way" Kelly was doing things. Of course, once things went bad, it became time to flip-flop and point out how questionable these decisions were.

And the year before that, Belichick went against the grain and drafted Gronk. So what?

I still maintain that Dowling wasn't a bad pick. Injuries just kept it from working out. He's the other side of the coin to making picks like him and Gronk. Had he got healthy, we would have had an enormous talent at CB. If Gronk hadn't got healthy, the usual suspects would be labeling that pick with the same scorn and derisiveness that they do Dowling.

He inherited a 4-12 team and won 10 games each of his first 2 years before falling to 7-9 his 3rd.

Those may not exactly be Hall of Fame numbers, but he didn't "destroy a well built franchise."
If you look at the overall Andy Reid era ( and I'm no great fan) he built a competitive team year in year out with only 2 losing seasons in the last 16, and that 4-12 was an outlier based on injuries AND it was the year his son died.... He (Kelly) inherited the talent for the two 10 win seasons ...much like Pete Carroll with the Patriots when his record went steadily down....(edit-Switzer won a Super Bowl with Jimmy Johnson's team)
While not the Patriots, there are plenty of teams that would kill for that kind of record over 15 years......but I stand by my belief that Kelly dismantled a team that was very talented and didn't replace the talent....

If you look at the overall Andy Reid era ( and I'm no great fan) he built a competitive team year in year out with only 2 losing seasons in the last 16, and that 4-12 was an outlier based on injuries AND it was the year his son died....
They were regularly competitive during the McNabb years, but once he left they went from 10 wins to 8 wins to 4 wins.

Kelly inherited a team that went 12-20 in the 2 years prior to his arrival, and 22-26 in the 3 years prior to his arrival, and he went 27-21. He was an improvement over Reid's final 3 years.

If you want to use outliers as an excuse to ignore Reid's 4-win season, then you should also consider Kelly's 7-win season as an outlier and call him a coach that otherwise wins 10 games consistently.
He (Kelly) inherited the talent for the two 10 win seasons ...much like Pete Carroll with the Patriots when his record went steadily down...
The facts are these: Pete Carroll inherited a conference champion and went to 10 wins, 9 wins and 8 wins. Kelly inherited a 4 win team and posted back to back 10 win seasons before sliding to 7 wins.

They were regularly competitive during the McNabb years, but once he left they went from 10 wins to 8 wins to 4 wins.

Kelly inherited a team that went 12-20 in the 2 years prior to his arrival, and 22-26 in the 3 years prior to his arrival, and he went 27-21. He was an improvement over Reid's final 3 years.

If you want to use outliers as an excuse to ignore Reid's 4-win season, then you should also consider Kelly's 7-win season as an outlier and call him a coach that otherwise wins 10 games consistently.
The facts are these: Pete Carroll inherited a conference champion and went to 10 wins, 9 wins and 8 wins. Kelly inherited a 4 win team and posted back to back 10 win seasons before sliding to 7 wins.
So the key will be this year in SF. If he turns them around, I'll give him credit. We have already seen what Reid did in KC the last three years ( 31 wins and 2 playoff berths)...

Writer says that only a coach as accomplished as Belichick can get away with going with his gut over scouting reports.

Patsfans.com is enraged.

Writer says that only a coach as accomplished as Belichick can get away with going with his gut over scouting reports.

Patsfans.com is enraged.

Getting angry about it is senseless, however it definitely shows King doesn't know what he it's talking about when it comes to, the way the Patriots conduct their draft.

So?
He basically says that BB can make a mistake or two without getting second guessed by the universe because of how great he is and that Chippy hasn't earned that stature yet because he hasn't accomplished squat in the NFL.
What's the problem with that?

Nothing wrong with what King wrote there

Nothing wrong with hindsight evaluations when judging success, either

So?
He basically says that BB can make a mistake or two without getting second guessed by the universe because of how great he is and that Chippy hasn't earned that stature yet because he hasn't accomplished squat in the NFL.
What's the problem with that?

I think he's accurate there, where the aallogy falls apart is comparing Kelly taking down a draft board he played no role in creating and Belichick, who is completely invested in the draft process and who is an integral part of creating the Patriots draft board.

I think he's accurate there, where the aallogy falls apart is comparing Kelly taking down a draft board he played no role in creating and Belichick, who is completely invested in the draft process and who is an integral part of creating the Patriots draft board.

It still comes down to the same thing: Ignoring what your scouts are telling you. In fact, if anything Belichick being involved makes it more egregious when he bypasses what scouts tell him rather than what Chip did in tearing apart a draft board with which he had little to no involvement.

It still comes down to the same thing: Ignoring what your scouts are telling you. In fact, if anything Belichick being involved makes it more egregious when he bypasses what scouts tell him rather than what Chip did in tearing apart a draft board with which he had little to no involvement.

Belichick doesn't ignore scouts at all, he requires that they not only make their case for or against a player but that they show who they will beat out to make the team. After that he makes the decision on where he ranks them, that may agree or reject with the scouts views but he definitely hears them out. What King described with Kelly was that he didn't play a role in creating a board and then ignored the team board in favor of his own. Ultimately no team is true to their board because there is always a strategy that takes the strengths and weaknesses of a position into play and then things change constantly as picks are made. I think Belichick respects his scouts and staff and works with Caserio and a few others, possibly Scar, during the draft.

Last edited:
I don't know why people are acting like a coach picking a random player is weird. But is king even referring to the patriots scouts or just scouts in general?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Captain Obvious weighed in, a slow week @ MMQB ... need to write something to make the paycheck..

. Point is, you never heard a peep out of the Patriots, mostly because Belichick earned the right to pick whoever he wanted, with three Super Bowls at the time to his credit. And Kelly will get the skepticism until he wins.

I heard Kelly once offered 2 first round pick, a second round pick, plus any quarterback, any defensive player on the eagle's roster to the Titans for Mariota( the Titans declined).Not sure if this insane story is true but it seems to me that Kelly is just crazy, he's no belichick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back