PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King rates Fins at 6, Jets at 7 and Pats at 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if I had a list of the smartest NFL guys around, Peter King would be lower then 14, so I'm not that mad about it. He's like Brett Favre way over-hyped.

Lets face it, he's no Will McDonough, no matter how much NBC tries to us think he is.

Someone should Tell King that in the NFL QB's and Coaches still rule the day.

King lost credibility with....

>>>>>For instance, with the Ravens having such a major tight-end need this year, you'd think Florida's Aaron Hernandez slipping into the fourth round would have set off alarm bells in the Ravens' draft room. But no -- Baltimore instead took tight end Ed ****son of Oregon over Hernandez, and then another TE, Dennis Pitta of BYU right after New England chose Hernandez. Simple scouting preference? Maybe. <<<<<

without mentioned that the Pats traded with Denver to move up in the 4th round (Hernandez) and jump the Ravens (as they did earlier) to pick a player that likely WAS on the Ravens draft board...
I saw that, too. So the Ravesn selecting Pitta AFTER Hernandez was off the board showed that the Ravens didn't think much of Hernandez????

But you left off the best part. He says the Ravens didn't select Hernadez because Mattison (Ravens' DC) was DC of the Gators and knew Hernandez and still didn't pick, so Hernandez is a suspect pick. Like the Ravens DC controls drafting and not Newsome.

And then he continues that since Mattison was a Gator DC and in the three years he has been with the Ravens they have taken no Gators in the draft means .... what? There were no draftable Gators in the last three years or that people who drafted Gators were wrong? He isn't clear, only that it is significant that the Ravens have Mattison and still drafted no Gators.

Total crock.

King had the Saints at 24 last year, if I recall. He actually not only has the Dolphins as a top 10 team, but also as the class of the AFC East. File this under "meh".

And the next time this arsehat writes something extremely positive about the Pats, somebody will post a link here and a lot of Patriot fans will be extolling the virtues of Mr. King's football knowledge.

Both King and Clayton (in particular) are just guys with some contacts who write about sports....sometimes badly, sometimes fairly entertaining (not Clayton though)....how can any of you take whatever they write, good or bad, seriously?.....how?

All these King threads do for me is let me read his column withough having to give CNN a "hit". Thanks OP for that!

And the next time this arsehat writes something extremely positive about the Pats, somebody will post a link here and a lot of Patriot fans will be extolling the virtues of Mr. King's football knowledge.

People on this site always come back with this one, but I've yet to see a detractor change their mind on the issue because of a positive article about the Pats. Usually, it's something like "at least this idiot got this one right".

Peter King wants readers.

- Green Bay at #1? They need to fix their O-line before they are a legit team.
- The Chargers at #2 is laughable. That team is going downhill fast.
- The Giants over the Cowboys? Absolutely ridiculous.
- Seattle and Carolina ranked higher than New England? This is where anybody should stop reading.

Any and all power rankings should begin with New Orleans #1 and Indy #2 until those teams lose. They earned it.

I think Carolina could surprise, but they have some serious depth issues after trading away so many high draft picks. Plus, they have no real defensive line to speak of, and their DL was a weakness in 2009 before losing Kemoatu, Lewis and Peppers.

I stopped reading after Seattle at #11. Sure, you gotta have a sleeper, but their roster is terrible and Pete Carrol has not shown that he can coach a winning football team. I'd put Seattle in my bottom 10.

Want a sleeper, try Tennessee, KC or Detroit.

Wow, these ranking are terrible.

NFL Power Rankings + Peter King + May 17th =

Take the entire thing with an entire shaker of salt. Absolutely nothing is going on right now; the Big Ben stuff is pretty much taken care of, the draft is over, even things on the Favre front are quiet. Peter needed to fill 5 pages and figured he'd take a stab at rankings.

I don't mind the 14 ranking; much like people on here, he only remembers the last game we played, and not the season as a body of work.

What I do like, however, is the Jets at 7. Keep building those expectations, media types! When the 8-8 hits, there will be miserable Jet fans everywhere saying "but, but...we were supposed to be Super Bowl bound! Everyone in the media said so!" and wiping their tears with press clippings from the Daily News and NY Post.

The only thing King is good at is parroting what ever his buddies tell him he is a glorified gossip columnist. He is an awful analyst let him write what ever he wants another article for the coach to quote during training camp.

Most of his reasoning for why the good teams will be good is, "so-and-so will step it up this year" or "even though this person didn't do crap last year, they will fill a big void for the team this year." With the Pats, he just says, "they have holes." Well, F***ing DUH! For some reason he doesn't take into account any progression players from the Pats will be taking from last year to this. This article is just lazy and subjective.

:confused:

Is this list for 2010 or 1910? Nevermind the 3 rankings listed in the title, but this list has so many wtf's

Peter King wants readers.

- Green Bay at #1? They need to fix their O-line before they are a legit team.
- The Chargers at #2 is laughable. That team is going downhill fast.
- The Giants over the Cowboys? Absolutely ridiculous.
- Seattle and Carolina ranked higher than New England? This is where anybody should stop reading.
Yeah definitely although the Cowboys are world-renowned choke artists!

Last edited:
That's seriously the worst list I've ever seen. I'm completely confident you could randomize the teams and it would make more sense. Some of the things on there are mind boggling, but worst of anything, Seattle at 11? Seattle, with no Oline, no QB, no WR, no RB, a mediocre defense....yea I know they had a good draft with Okung Thomas and Tate, but they're a lot closer to Cleveland at the bottom of the league than even being near .500.

Also, a team that just lost it's best player and has Matt Moore or a rookie starting is a top 10 team? lmao. King is bad at his job.

That's seriously the worst list I've ever seen. I'm completely confident you could randomize the teams and it would make more sense. Some of the things on there are mind boggling, but worst of anything, Seattle at 11? Seattle, with no Oline, no QB, no WR, no RB, a mediocre defense....yea I know they had a good draft with Okung Thomas and Tate, but they're a lot closer to Cleveland at the bottom of the league than even being near .500.

Also, a team that just lost it's best player and has Matt Moore or a rookie starting is a top 10 team? lmao. King is bad at his job.

I can understand the Seahawks ranking in fairness. They play the AFC West this year, so thats two games against the Cards who have lost Warner and Boldin, two against the Rams who are pathetic, two against the 49ers who are hard to assess, it all comes down to Alex Smith, one against the Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos and Chargers, they also have the Bucs and the Bears. Schedules don't get much easier in fairness and it wouldn't surprise me if they beat .500.

It would be easy for Peter King to just say that the the same teams will be good again next year. He wants people to read his article and talk about it. This article got a reaction out of fans, which is exactly what he wants. He even admits that he will be wrong, the only thing he cares about is creating some kind of shock factor. Saying that the Dolphins will be better then the Jets and Pats will certainly get a reaction.

I can understand the Seahawks ranking in fairness. They play the AFC West this year, so thats two games against the Cards who have lost Warner and Boldin, two against the Rams who are pathetic, two against the 49ers who are hard to assess, it all comes down to Alex Smith, one against the Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos and Chargers, they also have the Bucs and the Bears. Schedules don't get much easier in fairness and it wouldn't surprise me if they beat .500.

Considering Hasselbeck looks done, they are only an offense and a defense from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender. So of course they should be in the top ten. They have made some good offseason moves, but they were horrible last year and look to be a good year or two from being a legitimate contender.

Winning the NFC West doesn't make you a good team. I could see the winner from the NFC West going 8-8 this year.

That's definitely a fair point and good observation. They could finish .500 with that schedule and I wouldn't be shocked either. But a power rankings list means he thinks they're the 11th best team. They've had a good draft and all but to put them at 11 is a little crazy IMO.

....on his strength of team list. King has the Patriots missing the playoffs.
I love it!!
It's amazing how many mediots completely discount how much improved the Patriots are going to be next year simply because of the improved health of Tom Brady, Jerod Mayo, the entire backfield, a happy Vince Wilfork ready to lead that room and the removal of the metastatic cancer aka Adalius Thomas. The Patriots are a better team BEFORE we add the quality players they drafted who will make an impact on this team. Love the TE's, Brandon Spikes and that kicker has a real shot a making a big difference in the Pats special teams which is badly needed.
The Patriots won their division last season and come into this year a much stronger team on and off the field in my opinion. Hoping every mediot counts out this group.

2010 NFL Power Rankings, early look at how teams stack up - Peter King - SI.com

woaah...we got our clocks cleaned last year against the ravens, so you can't blame the media for putting a lot of question marks next to us. A lot of us feel the pats improved...but that's on paper. We have a lot of young kids who have yet to play a snap in the NFL so we can't assume they are going to step in and contribute. I believe the pats will be an improved team, but we have to go out and earn it on the field. A lot of us were saying how much our secondary improved last offseason with wilhite, butler and wheatley...then look what happened.

Last edited:
woaah...we got our clocks cleaned last year against the ravens, so you can't blame the media for putting a lot of question marks next to us. A lot of us feel the pats improved...but that's on paper. We have a lot of young kids who have yet to play a snap in the NFL so we can't assume they are going to step in and contribute. I believe the pats will be an improved team, but we have to go out and earn it on the field. A lot of us were saying how much our secondary improved last offseason with wilhite, butler and wheatley...then look what happened.

This is the type of logic that mystifies me. Negative projections are supported by 'we have quesitons' as if to imply no one else does.
You are saying here that there should be quesiton marks because we lost in the playoffs. Yet we were one of only 12 teams that made the playoffs, but King ranks us below teams that were pretty awful last year and there is no clear indication those team have improved, they all have question marks, and rely on rookies.
If you are correct that our ranking is deserved because we have questions how do you justify the Dolphins who had a losing record last year being ranked 7th in the NFL, and best in the AFCE? Don't their question marks matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News