PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patsfan Survey: When Did YOU Become a Patriots Fan?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When did YOU become a Pats Fan?

• Total voters
Like most saints fans around 2006. Never took much notice of the patriots until Sean Payton came here and started to preach and copy the patriots franchise and BB's way of doing things. Then it was like having your eyes opened , wow, these guy are solid top to bottom. Even when they lose they are close to winning.

That's why the patriots game in 2009 is never forgotten, and constantly brought up. Didn't mean much to the Patriots or fans, but for us it was the most important game in 40 years. We had been preached to by SP that this is the team we need to emulate for for 3 years at that point, and sudenly here they were,lol. yikes!
That game was historic for us because even if the Patriots didn't have a bad day, and the football gods conspiring against them, and we played them even, that would have been enough for us. No other game besides the SB still means more to us. It said ,look you made it, your a good football team finally.

It's a testament to BB, Kraft, and the patriots that when followed almost exactly,
the system they built will work anywhere, even on the worst team in the NFL.

Which is why, if you think about it logically, the patriots are ultimately responsible for the Bounty program, we were just emulating them, and should have given most of the fines...:eek: jk

Last edited:
I was talking to my wife about this over dinner.

She said that it must have been hard to be a Pats fan back in the day.

I corrected her.

Well done.

Delbert_Grady.jpg

1998 ... came to school in MA(from eastern Europe), picked local team ...

Had to deal with crap from a bunch a new yorkers on a daily basis for a while (you're a fck$ing foreigner, don't know s$it about football and picked the worst team ever).

So ... 1998 Pats fan :rocker: ... started hating the Jests the day after.

What part'f Eastern Europe, Bro??

One misconception amongst the 'newbies' is that the teams prior to 2001 were all horrible.

Very true. The mid/late-1990s Pats teams were pretty good, and in the mid-80s, it was a good offense with a Super Bowl appearance (oy), a first place AFCE finish, and respectable finishes until 1989-1990. Those early 90s teams are the ones that everyone points to when we talk about how bad the Patriots were.

I remember my father would come home from work and say the Pats called and wanted him to play, but he had to mow the lawn and change the oil on the car so he turned them down.

But, as for the newbies, I've got no problem with new diehards. Hell, we're all lucky to be watching this team right now.

I became a Patriot's fan in 1959 when Billy Sullivan was awarded the franchise. It was interesting watching them signing players to assemble the team. I attended their very first game at B. U. Field on 9-9-60.

I went to a few games each year and became a season ticket holder when
Sullivan Stadium was built. I gave up my tickets when I moved to Maine
in 1976. They cost $80 for two end zone seats for the year.

I retired in 2002. At that time I purchased a PC and got on the waiting
list. Last year, at the age of 79, I became a season ticket holder
for the second time. The difference is my tickets cost $1980 for two
tickets.

1993, as a 10 y/o living in Jersey. Dad's from St. Louis, mom's from Weymouth; so I didn't have strong NE sports roots until my uncles beat it into me as soon as Parcell's arrived. Had to follow from afar in NJ and Chicago until 97 when we moved back to MA.

The Krafts gave us all hope, but who would've thought they'd be this good for this long? The worst I've had to deal with as a fan are the mediocre Pete Carroll "jacked and pumped" years. I've got some dues to pay, which will probably start after Brady retires...

When I was growing up in So. Maine the early to mid 60's the team we got on TV was the Giants which I hated and was a Browns fan because of Jimmy Brown and the were the anti-Giants. I heard about the Patriots but thought that they were a semi-pro team.

Then I was in the Army and was overseas mostly in hot spots and didn't even know what the SB was. When I got out I went directly to college and got married and finally heard about the SB from people talking about it. I then become a Jets fan for a month.
wash_mouth_out_soap.jpg

The following year winter I heard about the Patriots drafting Jim Plunkett. I started to look into the Patriots and became a fan going the first game in Foxboro against the Raiders. And the rest is history.:D

so...you're saying there's still a small segment of Locutus/Borg left in your psyche,Capt. Picard???

logo.jpg

Early 60s. I grew up watching football (and baseball, basketball and hockey) with my father. His boss was an original season ticket holder and we got the seats once or twice a year. I went to games at Fenway, Harvard Stadium and BC. The seats were always dead on the 50 yard line.

When the team moved to Foxboro (I was 16 at the time), I used my paper route money to buy tickets - went to all of the games that year (though not a STH yet). In 1972, I bought season tickets in the south end zone - section 22. In 1975, I missed the last two home games in a 3-11 season due to illness. Other than that, I attended every home game until a Monday night game against the jets in November 1999. Since then, I've missed a handful of games due to business commitments (but fewer than 10 in total since 1971).

I brought a date to the snowplow game - that was the day I first knew for sure who I would marry. We remain happily married for more than 28 years. My two sons (ages 23 and 21) are both huge fans now.

And so it goes ...

Very true. The mid/late-1990s Pats teams were pretty good, and in the mid-80s, it was a good offense with a Super Bowl appearance (oy), a first place AFCE finish, and respectable finishes until 1989-1990. Those early 90s teams are the ones that everyone points to when we talk about how bad the Patriots were.

I remember my father would come home from work and say the Pats called and wanted him to play, but he had to mow the lawn and change the oil on the car so he turned them down.

But, as for the newbies, I've got no problem with new diehards. Hell, we're all lucky to be watching this team right now.
Its hard to believe but this is going to be Bob Kraft's 20th season as the owner of the Pats (IIRC). What even harder to believe is the fact that during his tenure, Pats fans have ONLY had to endure,3 losing seasons. That's just THREE!! .....AND 2 of those seasons came in his first 3 years of ownership. Think about it. Since 1995 the Patriots have only had one losing season (2000)

That my friends is a LONG time being a good team in the NFL....and the best news is that it doesn't look like its going to end anytime soon. Its GOOD to be an immensely spoiled New England Patriots fan. :D Now if I can only get Ian to add the quoting features, my day would be complete

Well done.

Delbert_Grady.jpg

What part'f Eastern Europe, Bro??

Romania....

Ah!! A native of the fabled Roman Lost Province of Dacia!! Yours is an extraordinarily hardy lot, having sustained your Latin heritage for over 15 Centuries, despite the unspeakable ravages of the Goths, the Huns ~ Attila's Huns!! ~ the Magyars, the Mongols, the Bulgarians...and about a dozen other murderous nations of the Sword...to say nothing of your own Vlad Dracul the Impaler!! :eek:

dracula.jpg

dracula.jpg

bram-stokers-dracula-gary-oldman1.jpg

Delighted to have you join us, Ancient Dacian!!

Any compatriot of Zoltan The Space Emperor ~ Of Space!! ~ is Aces in MY Book!! :rocker:

120202055949-zoltan-mesko-jan-2012-horizontal-gallery.jpg

I became a Patriot's fan in 1959 when Billy Sullivan was awarded the franchise. It was interesting watching them signing players to assemble the team. I attended their very first game at B. U. Field on 9-9-60.

tickets.

I yield to the oldest fart on this forum ;)

My mother is 88 and she uses a computer. She's an avid Pats fan but doesn't go onto any MB's. She'd be a hoot on here but it would be hard to follow her train of thought as she meanders through a conversation, taking side trips when she thinks of something or sees a shiney object...:D

Last edited:
Newbie here.

Growing up in Inverness, Highlands of Scotland I was a soccer nut. Insanely in love with what they call 'the beautiful game'. There was of course other European sports I liked, Snooker, Golf, Tennis and rugby for example but wasn't interested in American sports whatsoever.

My best friend at the around the turn of the century somehow became interested in a girl from Vermont. So my Friend, older brother and I decided we were going to Vermont for a few days, and then split a week between Boston and New York. It was a few months after 9/11. All 3 of us left Boston Loving the place - just had a much better time in bean town than the big apple. So automatically chose the Boston teams to support. The pats at the time were SB champs but I wasn't really that interested in them. It was the Bruins and RedSox that I followed from that time forward. I kept an eye on the pats and watched the big games but because I'd never spent the time learning the game and the complexity and skill involved I just didn't get hooked. I remember being mildly infuriated at the game that shall not be mentioned but if I had to nail the time I fell in love with the Pats completely it was the Playoff game where Baltimore destroyed us at Gillette.

I have been absolutely hooked since that night and have spent countless hours watching Pats clips etc on YouTube angry with myself for not getting hooked in 2002 when I first visited Boston. I've missed so much due to my ignorance of the game!

So I'm going to say 2009!

2001 Season in particular Superbowl 36. I was 13 years old and being a girl I was not into football. I remember seeing my dad watching the games but had no interest whatsoever. I just happened to be bored enough one day that I sat and watched the Divisional game against the Raiders not understanding a single thing going on. Just kept asking questions about it the entire time. I missed the Championship game then on SB Sunday my dad was watching again and I just sat in the room with him. As the game began we were talking about who was going to win. And he was going on and on about the Rams. So he kept saying "I bet they win, I bet they win". Finally I said "I bet they dont" just to be contrary. So he said If they dont win I'll give you $50. I agreed. And well by the end of the night I was $50 richer and a Pats fan. Been watching ever since.

It took me a long time to understand this game because I only watched when they were shown here locally and it was hard watching them at the beginning of the decade when there was no streaming options at all. I watched when I could but it really wasn't until 2006 that I was able to stream and I haven't missed a game since.

Newbie here.

Growing up in Inverness, Highlands of Scotland I was a soccer nut. Insanely in love with what they call 'the beautiful game'. There was of course other European sports I liked, Snooker, Golf, Tennis and rugby for example but wasn't interested in American sports whatsoever.

My best friend at the around the turn of the century somehow became interested in a girl from Vermont. So my Friend, older brother and I decided we were going to Vermont for a few days, and then split a week between Boston and New York. It was a few months after 9/11. All 3 of us left Boston Loving the place - just had a much better time in bean town than the big apple.
So I'm going to say 2009!

Ah dinnah mean to pry me boy but do you have a bit part in "Brave"?

Welcome.

to answer the op, 1978.

Was ten years old. Remember asking my dad about the Patriots. They were all over the news because of Darryl Stingley getting paralyzed in the preseason. He said "They have the best team on paper." Been on theirs bandwagon ever since.

Countless games, season tickets and trips the three super bowls later, still find myself rooting for them :cool:

tickets.

Jim my man you may be the eldest Patsfan. Beat me by well over a decade. respect. Many more.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back