PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patsfan Survey: When Did YOU Become a Patriots Fan?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When did YOU become a Pats Fan?

• Total voters
1984. Freshman in HS. Wasn't a football fan at all until I went to my first HS football game and got hooked. In further need of my football fix, started watching the Pats on TV with my father as he would sit by the screen and point to all the players, explaining their roles (especially OL which took the longest to understand and appreciate).

From that inaugural season of fandom, I remember:

- Being confused why the Pats would fire 5-3 Ron Meyer in favor of Raymond Berry, who went 4-4 the rest of the way.

- Watching USFL export Craig James, thinking this guy had a set of wheels.

- The down-then-up Thanksgiving weekend of first watching Eason get sacked 10 times against Dallas, then BC winning 47-45 over Bernie Kosar's champion UMiami team on Flutie's Hail Mary the next day.

Regards,
Chris

The '80s ended when I was 5 years old, so I don't really have many Pats-related memories prior to the '90s. Going to have to go with that.

After my next birthday, I hope I remember to watch them play ! :eek:

Early 70's listening to the games on the radio in the car with my dad. Seems like we were always driving up to Vermont or NH for some reason on Sundays.

So as a teenager, I remember well listening to the 'Ben Dreith Raiders playoff game in 76 season and being crushed by the loss. I never saw that game on TV an only recently saw the bogus 'roughing the passer' call to steal the game from NEP. Little did I realize until reading about it - how bad so many ref calls there were that game. (Just close your eyes and chant 'Tuck rule'). What goes around, comes around.

Sorry for any unpleasant memories I might have just reminded you about. You can try to sue me for emotional distress, but as I live in Copenhagen, you money will just be wasted on a new lawyers toy.

Early 70's listening to the games on the radio in the car with my dad. Seems like we were always driving up to Vermont or NH for some reason on Sundays.

So as a teenager, I remember well listening to the 'Ben Dreith Raiders playoff game in 76 season and being crushed by the loss. I never saw that game on TV an only recently saw the bogus 'roughing the passer' call to steal the game from NEP. Little did I realize until reading about it - how bad so many ref calls there were that game. (Just close your eyes and chant 'Tuck rule'). What goes around, comes around.

Sorry for any unpleasant memories I might have just reminded you about. You can try to sue me for emotional distress, but as I live in Copenhagen, you money will just be wasted on a new lawyers toy.

Russ Francis had a 1st down pass bounce off his chest as the Raiders LB grabbed both Russ' biceps from behind pulling his hands apart. Blatant PI but never called.

In the same game Sam Cunningham steps out of bounds to avoid a hit a half yd shy of a 1st down and the Pats had to punt.

When Ben Dreith called RTP, an italian guy I worked with slammed his fist and shattered a table in front of his elderly immigrant Italian grandfather who was shocked and completely confused as to what was happening with his formerly mild grandson. No NFL football in the old country.

Last edited:
Well, my nick kind of gives it away.

I had just moved to Cambridge and a friend had tickets to the 1974 season opener against the SB Champ 'Fins.

I remember at first just being thrilled to be going to see that great Dolphins' team with guys destined for Canton like Bob Griese, Larry Csonka and Paul Warfield (along of course with another future HOFer Nick Buoniconti and a bunch of guys with "no names" on D).

But something about that still not quite decrepit stadium and the atmosphere (not to mention a Pats upset win) made me a convert on the spot and I haven't looked back since.

Last edited:
When they blacked out I remember trying to pull in the Portland, ME station with those.

Where's the guy balanced on a chair on one foot holding them towards the window?

It was 1993, I was 8 years old. I always hated NY teams. I live in the battle ground area of Patriots, Jets, and Giants. I always go skiing so I turned into a Patriots fan!

I grew up not liking football at all. I was a Bruins fan all the way with the Red Sox a close second and the Celts third, even though I played organized basketball.

On Thanksgiving weekend ( I think) in 1974, at the age of 14, I was dragged to my high school Homecoming game by a friend. It was Lawrence vs Lowell and I was a Lawrence High student. I believe Lawrence won the game 12-9 if my memory serves me well. What I do remember without a doubt is that I was fascinated by the game and I had a grand time.

After that it was only natural to start looking for the Patriots scores in the paper or any games on TV.

Born in 1973 so early- to mid-80s.

Or maybe I should say 1973.

Ditto. Born in 73 in western mass to a rabid Pats/Bruins family. Red Sox were an afterthought in my family.

I can actually pinpoint the day I became obsessed with the Pats: Feb 10, 1978.

That's when I got a Patriots-branded bike from Sears for my 5th birthday.

Last edited:
A fan from the first game they played. I was playing high school football (Haverhill) and the team got free tickets. I have been a fan since. Remember the players, teams, owners, and games of old. The Pats trully have an interesting history. Missed a bit though when I was in the Navy 1967 to 1972 Get them on Direct TV's NFL package now since I live in AZ. Came here nine years ago for a job, since retired. Enjoying the current Patriots. Do not post but read Patsfan nearly everyday - the good, the bad, the ugly.

The Snow Bowl.

I live in Montreal so here it's all hockey. I only started watching football when I was a teenager! (It has to start somewhere!) At first I was probably a bandwagoner because I didn't understand anything about football, but now I'm a die hard fan. I love the Pats' star players but I'll root for whoever wears the laundry. The Pats of the BB era has to be the best managed sports franchise I've ever seen. I mean that team freaking wins with anybody on the field. It's amazing. I love the no trash talk policy. I love the team first mentality and players who couldn't care less about personal stats and only care about the W. I love everything about this organisation! :rocker:

Russ Francis had a 1st down pass bounce off his chest as the Raiders LB grabbed both Russ' biceps from behind pulling his hands apart. Blatant PI but never called.

I RARELY see that play referenced.

Well done.

The SEWAGE you're referring to is Phil Villapiano. :mad:

The old RAGE comes back in FULL FORCE every TIME I see that lump of FECES on TV. :mad:

But I DO enjoy watching him SQUEAL about The Immaculate Reception.

Where's the tin foil????? :D

rabbitears-resized-600.jpg

Where's the coat hanger stuck in one side when the metal stick broke off from everybody manhandling it in frustration?

Where's the pic of me holding it up with one leg in the air and turning to get the best pic ?

PERFECT!! Now...

Don't MOVE. :eek:

Hah ! Must have been the Schaefer Beer.

Jesus.
icon_mad.gif

You wanna talk about Liability Exposure?? :rolleyes:

"Schaefer is...the one you're havin'...when you're havin' more than ONE!!" :eek: :bricks: :rocker:

The RedSkins ~ New EngLand's first FootBall team ~ were already here.

But Brother Miles and I had a feeling that we'd outlast'm. :cool:

Jesus.
icon_mad.gif

You wanna talk about Liability Exposure?? :rolleyes:

"Schaefer is...the one you're havin'...when you're havin' more than ONE!!" :eek: :bricks: :rocker:

Almost buddy.

"Schaefer...is the...one beer to have...when you're having more than one."

I remember that just as much as the roughing the qb call. I was absolutely shocked when it wasn't called. Thinking back on that game and how one sided the officiating was i have to say the fix was in. The NFL wanted the raiders to win that game.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back