PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patsfan Survey: When Did YOU Become a Patriots Fan?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When did YOU become a Pats Fan?

• Total voters
Early 80's... I was in middle school and I too have very vivid memories of the "Squish the Phish" and "Berry the Bears" slogans. Also a very vivid memory of that awful SB and the discussions/controversy surrounding whether Grogan should've started over Eason.

Early 80's... I was in middle school and I too have very vivid memories of the "Squish the Phish" and "Berry the Bears" slogans. Also a very vivid memory of that awful SB and the discussions/controversy surrounding whether Grogan should've started over Eason.

Greatest SB comeback win evah! Bears down 3-0....

Two years later the Bears still formidable came to Foxboro. Opening play Flutie throws a 75 yd TD bomb to Fryar and the Pats routed Da Bayiz something like 35 to some pathetic score. I was at that game having bought cheap game day seats in the parking lot.

Last edited:
1974- I was 6 years old..--kind of disco girl

I was picked on by my brother from day one -jerk used to make me cry when the Pats would lose(which as we know happened often)

First person I called when they won the first Super Bowl-my brother-sometimes he is still a jerk about my team, he's one those "fans" who goes for the other team no matter who it is. :rolleyes:

The last decade or so must not have been very fun for him. :D

"Jumbalaya"

I said 70's disco "guy" because even though I was born in 1964, I don't remember the Pats until the 1970's. My family has always been big sports fans, men and ladies alike, so I can't remember NOT watching the Pats when I was a kid, even through the various disaster years (with a few good ones sprinkled in between). I think I have posted on here before that we have always had a beach house in NH and on fall Sundays where the Pats were blacked out at home (there were many) we stayed late to watch at least the first half on Channel 9 (ABC), which is the only station we could get in NH without some really good coat hanger/antennae contortions. If the Pats were losing badly by the half, my dad would relent and we could go home. If they were winning or keeping it close, we stayed until the end!

In college I went to UMass Amherst and was in the marching band. Every year we would play a half time at a Pats game and my roomate & I would be two of the few students who would stay for the whole game and go "home" on the late bus. Unfortunately, our last year was 1985-6 when the Pats went to the Superbowl, and wouldn't you know it, the Pats didn't invite us that year! I still watched at the bar at the Pub in Amherst, MA wishing I was at the Superbowl.

When I met my husband and discovered that he too was an NFL junkie (for the Giants, but don't worry, I have converted him!) it only upped my NFL obsession. Prior to having kids we thought the most awesome weekends were in December when we could watch 2 NFL games on Saturdays, 2 on Sunday and one on Monday night. When Bill Parcells came to town we bought season tickets and have never looked back! Love the Pats, now and forever!

Around 1971. They just drafted Jim Plunkett. Funny story. Out here in CA, I have quite a few friends that are Raider fans. When I tell them that I was a fan of the Patriots when Jim Plunkett was a rookie they look at me and ask, "Who is Jim Plunkett?" They feel really sheepish when I explained that he won a SBfor them.

Around 1971. They just drafted Jim Plunkett. Funny story. Out here in CA, I have quite a few friends that are Raider fans. When I tell them that I was a fan of the Patriots when Jim Plunkett was a rookie they look at me and ask, "Who is Jim Plunkett?" They feel really sheepish when I explained that he won a SBfor them.

LOL. We had one of those 500 piece jigsaw puzzles of Jim Plunkett when he played for the Pats that we painstakingly put together, then my mother shellacked it and made it into a poster for my brother's room, and then the "bum" as he was known for part of his time here got traded to the hated Raiders AND he went on to win a SB for them! Figures they don't even know who the heck he is out there.

It is funny how this area of the country is so sports oriented. I wonder how that happens? It has to be more than we live in cold weather and have nothing better to do.

Bob Kraft did so much for the patriots, even before buying the team for an outragiously high price (at the time).

Robert Kraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fans have so appreciated Kraft's saving of the team (and what he has done since) that every preseason, regular season and playoff game has been sold out since Bob Kraft bought the team in January 1993.

QUOTE=patfanken;3065856]IIRC there have been ONLY 3 losing seasons since Bob Kraft has owned the team. Its an amazing record given that 2 of those seasons came in his first 3 years of ownership. Think about it. 3 losing seasons in the last 20 years. (counting this one) No wonder they hate us. ;)[/QUOTE]

antenna-good-vhf-uhf-800x800.jpg

The gateway to the Patriots in the 60's and early 70's

Also don't forget the rotor control box ... a priceless invention.

002-500x500.JPG

Last edited:
antenna-good-vhf-uhf-800x800.jpg

The gateway to the Patriots in the 60's and early 70's

When they blacked out I remember trying to pull in the Portland, ME station with those.

Where's the tin foil????? :D

rabbitears-resized-600.jpg

Last edited:
from 1982

i loved the Super Bowl run on 1985: Grogan, Eason, Collins, Tatupu, James, Fryar, S.Morgan, Hannah, Nelson, Rembert, Tippett, Camarillo, Franklin, Lippett, Marion, etc

i was happy for Billy Sullivan...finally the Super Bowl

the reason why i choose the Pats ? it was 'first love and passion' for:
the name of the team + the logo/uniforms

Also don't forget the rotor control box ... a priceless invention.

002-500x500.JPG

Don't knock it. I bought one of the 1st SONY HDTVs (CRT) in 2001 and used my antenna rotor to bring in all the OTA broadcast stations in Sudbury MA. Saw all the 21st century SB runs in HD with that TV setup.
Never had cable until I moved out of range into New Hampshah.

Last edited:
Where's the tin foil????? :D

rabbitears-resized-600.jpg

Where's the coat hanger stuck in one side when the metal stick broke off from everybody manhandling it in frustration?

Born in '71 - So immediately thereafter. Can’t remember my first game much, too young, could not see the field with all the grown ups standing on the damn bleachers.

Good times.

Old Man ScottieC (he’s lurker here, not a contributor) saw the Pats first game and has been an unabashed homer since.

Where's the coat hanger stuck in one side when the metal stick broke off from everybody manhandling it in frustration?

Where's the pic of me holding it up with one leg in the air and turning to get the best pic ?

Until I discovered the Patriots, I had no interest whatsoever in sports. Sometimes I'd catch my Dad watching the Cowboys and ask him the odd question about what was happening, but the games never really held my attention so I'd always wander off after a brief viewing. Aside from a faded childhood dream of "a team from New Hampshire that could come beat up the Redskins" and a knowledge of the existence of a few high-profile teams, I was pretty much oblivious to all things NFL.

Then came the fateful date of Monday, December 16 1985. I was flipping through the TV Guide, hoping to scrounge up something worth watching later that evening, when I spotted a program Highlight (remember those?) informing me that on MNF the Miami Dolphins would be hosting the... "WHAT???? NEW ENGLAND HAS A TEAM???"

I made a point of plopping myself in front of the TV at 9 and putting on ABC. I didn't understand everything that went on, but I was captivated. The Patriots lost late on a missed FG, if memory serves correctly (too lazy to look up), but the loss didn't dim my enjoyment one bit. I was hooked!

I went on to follow the playoff run, vowed eternal hatred of the Bears after it ended, and watched every game I could get my eyes on from that day forward.

Last edited:
When did pherein become a Pats fan? :)

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes