PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade Hochstein to Broncos for seventh-round draft pick [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats trade Hochstein to Broncos for late-round draft pick [merged]

I can't help but feel another deal is in the works and this was a piece of the puzzle... what's our biggest area of need right now? Meh- I'm probably just overthinking it- they were going to cut him anyway, so they took what they could get for him.

I have to agree with this. I think there is much more about to happen here.

Respects,

I have to agree with this. I think there is much more about to happen here.

Respects,

Well, on the one hand, there isn't much cap room left.

But, OTOH, the Patriots currently have three roster spots left (they have 77 active players).

Well, on the one hand, there isn't much cap room left.

But, OTOH, the Patriots currently have three roster spots left (they have 77 active players).

$700,000 saved from yesterday from Kaczur's extension plus $50,000 from trading Hochstein...$750,000 that could be used towards bringing in someone else which may be what is being implied there.

I was fairly surprised upon first reading this, but after some reflection it makes some sense. Hochstein was a solid backup here for a number of years. It makes sense to get younger and less expensive wherever a team can and picking up a draft pick is always a good thing. This bodes well for Wendell or possibly Connolly as the back up center and BB must be pleased with Ohrnberger's progress so far. I'm not a big fan of Yates, so I hope there is someone better than him on the 53.

$700,000 saved from yesterday from Kaczur's extension plus $50,000 from trading Hochstein...$750,000 that could be used towards bringing in someone else which may be what is being implied there.

Yup,

Not only saving money, but regaining draft picks for future trades, etc.
The rich get richer, as it were... :)

The big question right now is back-up center.

At the start of training camp, the team had Al Johnson and Russ Hochstein.
Both gone.

More evidence, I think, that Wendell is making the team.
He's the next back-up center.
He has been playing in rotation with the one's occasionally, and quite a bit with the two's.
He was picked up last year at the end of the season, and spent the entire off-season in their development program.

If not Wendell, I'm not sure who the back-up center is.
He is also versatile enough to play center-guard.

Wendell handled the backup center duties vs the Eagles and Dan Connolly was the backup center in the second preseason game vs the Bengals. They both can and have played guard, so it looks like Wendell and Connolly are competing for one center/guard roster spot.

I believe that Miguel is accounting for the Kaczur deal as about $600K in additional 2009 charges. I believe that it depends upon the date of the bonus - 2009 or 2010 - which is not clear.

However, the $50K in cap charges for trading Hochstein should be a cap cost - the dead money charge of his signing bonus - not a savings. Hochstein was a veteran minimum contract, so there isn't a lot to be saved by replacing his $517K of cap cost.
I guess replacing Hochstein with Wendell will save around $150K net total.

I hope Wendell actually weighs more than his listed roster weight

of 275 pounds. We complain Koppen is too small. Also, I remember

Connolly having some problems snapping (shotgun?) last year.

????

Being offered for trade does not mean he was obviously a bubble guy.

Lots of guys are traded who would have made the team if not traded. Hochstein is one of them. Cassel is another.

Of course there are. I just mean that I don't believe it to be the case here. My take on this is that BB (for better or worse) was getting value out of someone he view as a cut.

Like everyone else here, it's a little perplexing to me, and I'm curious if it part of something else, or confidence in the young guys. The market value was probably a 7th on him (at this point). You or I may not think so, but it is what it is. In BB I trust.

I was fairly surprised upon first reading this, but after some reflection it makes some sense. Hochstein was a solid backup here for a number of years. It makes sense to get younger and less expensive wherever a team can and picking up a draft pick is always a good thing. This bodes well for Wendell or possibly Connolly as the back up center and BB must be pleased with Ohrnberger's progress so far. I'm not a big fan of Yates, so I hope there is someone better than him on the 53.

You touched on some things that are part of the thinking. Hoch was a solid backup. He had peaked. He had no further upside. He also cost a fair amount on the rule of 51 or whatever # that cap rule covers. If you have someone younger and cheaper who should have some opportunity to mature as at minimum a backup, why not do the vaule upgrade on your backyp player? Maybe the newbie replacement has an unrealized upside.

Of course the risk is that the new kid on the block actually has to do some serious play time early on because of a yet to occur injury to a starter.

I am VERY dissapointed in losing Hochstein,Actually I am as dissapointed in this regardling the O-Line as I was when we let Andruzzi jump to Cleveland in 2002

He was very versatile and did all he was asked - To get only a stinking 7th rounder for him had to be because it was McDaniels and BB loves the guy,otherwise we deserved at least a 5th for him.

Goodbye Russ,You played anywhere on the line you were asked (even as a fullback role) and played well most of the time for us.

I am VERY dissapointed in losing Hochstein,Actually I am as dissapointed in this regardling the O-Line as I was when we let Andruzzi jump to Cleveland in 2002

Andruzzi left in 2005.

Not only saving money, but regaining draft picks for future trades, etc.
The rich get richer, as it were... :)

To be fair, the chances of a 7th round pick being as good as Hochstein, let alone making the Patriots team, is pretty low.

He was very versatile and did all he was asked - To get only a stinking 7th rounder for him had to be because it was McDaniels and BB loves the guy,otherwise we deserved at least a 5th for him.

Goodbye Russ,You played anywhere on the line you were asked (even as a fullback role) and played well most of the time for us.

Tough to hope for more than a 7th for a back-up player in his contract year, esp. if he was a likely cut (only the staff knows). If we KNEW he was getting cut, I'd say this was actually a solid deal. Who steps in... yah, bigger question.

Tough to hope for more than a 7th for a back-up player in his contract year, esp. if he was a likely cut (only the staff knows). If we KNEW he was getting cut, I'd say this was actually a solid deal. Who steps in... yah, bigger question.

I guess Vollmer on board made Russ tradeable - Thats my guess,I think BB is high on Vollmer and he could be a versatile any position guy given time in the system

I could see Vollmer used in goaline formations as a fullback and his size could make for some nice gains by the RBs in that area

Last edited:

I guess Vollmer on board made Russ tradeable - Thats my guess,I think BB is high on Vollmer and he could be a versatile any position guy given time in the system

I could see Vollmer used in goaline formations as a fullback and his size could make for some nice gains by the RBs in that area

Haha, just hand him the ball. Guy's a monster.

This is another indication that the Pats are going 4-3 on offense, as well, this year.

A 6'8" center? Umm...;)

Vollmer's all tackle, IMO. It's up to Ohrnberger, Connolly, Wendell and maybe Bussey to man the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News