PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade Hochstein to Broncos for seventh-round draft pick [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats trade Hochstein to Broncos for late-round draft pick [merged]

They did well getting a pick for him at all. Reserve interior lineman over 30 aren't usually traded for. If a team needs one there is always a Pete Kendall, Chris Naeole, Kendall Simmons or Edwin Mulitalo that can be had as a free agent.

To be fair, the chances of a 7th round pick being as good as Hochstein, let alone making the Patriots team, is pretty low.

True Dat. My point was that Coach is restocking the draft picks for next year that he had traded earlier. :)

Care to explain this one????

Four receivers, three QB's - c'mon, don't you know ANYTHING? :p

Four receivers, three QB's - c'mon, don't you know ANYTHING? :p

JSn.. Thank you for the offer, but I am not your type.....:cool:

We need an interior lineman who can backup at center. Apparently, belichick feels that one of Wendell or Connolly is a better option than Hochstein. Perhaps someone on anothr team is an even better option.

They did well getting a pick for him at all. Reserve interior lineman over 30 aren't usually traded for. If a team needs one there is always a Pete Kendall, Chris Naeole, Kendall Simmons or Edwin Mulitalo that can be had as a free agent.

To be fair, the chances of a 7th round pick being as good as Hochstein, let alone making the Patriots team, is pretty low.

imgdyn_cfm.jpg

JSn.. Thank you for the offer, but I am not your type.....:cool:

I'm gonna have to go ahead and say "I don't get it." I'm sure it's very funny, though... :rolleyes:

Re: Hochstein traded to Denver for a 7th round pick.

I think we all knew we would have some tradable guys that could end up as cuts, it's still weird in the NFL to actually see the trades happening though. Excellent to get a little value for some bubble guys though.

I find this comment surprising. I didn't see many 53 man projections which excluded Hochstein. In fact, most people were accustomed to seeing Hoch being the first one off the bench to who could play multiple positions on the line. He is also the de facto back up FB.

I'd like to hear from people who thought this guy was going to get cut. It seems like spin since Bill can not do no wrong. Plus by the logic that the Pats were just so so deep that their cuts actually have trade value, is contradictory because then you come back and assume a 7th rounder has "value" which couldn't be the case if the team so deep in the first place.

The cap money that they are clearing up won't be enough to extend Vince.

The good news that everyone can agree on is that this indicates Bill really likes the rookies. (And apparently Kazcur too?)

Last edited:

I find this comment surprising. I didn't see many 53 man projections which excluded Hochstein. In fact, most people were accustomed to seeing Hoch being the first one off the bench to who could play multiple positions on the line. He is also the de facto back up FB.

I'd like to hear from people who thought this guy was going to get cut. It seems like spin since Bill can not do no wrong.
I didn't say it's guaranteed to be the right move, but he was clearly a bubble guy or he wouldn't have been traded for almost nothing. It may end up being a mistake but he was a bubble guy, the value we got in return guarantees it. If Bill liked some other guy as much as Hochstein, rightly or wrongly, I'm glad we got something for Hochstein.

I'd like to hear from people who thought this guy was going to get cut. It seems like spin since Bill can not do no wrong. Plus by the logic that the Pats were just so so deep that their cuts actually have trade value, is contradictory because then you come back and assume a 7th rounder has "value" which couldn't be the case if the team so deep in the first place.

The good news that everyone can agree on is that this indicates Bill really likes the rookies. (And apparently Kazcur too?)

I thought he'd be traded to K.C. It didn't make sense to have him on the roster unless he was getting the fullback slot, given the way the draft fell out. Once I saw Wendy getting those snaps, I figured he'd become a Chief and either compete at center for the starting job, or serve as depth for a team with a bad line. Also, I believe it was Box who'd commented on his diminished play last season.

I am surprised and a little nervous about the move myself. I thought Hoch was a shoe in for first backup OL.

Personally i think it is BB taking a gamble. He may think some of the younger OL won't make the PS ala Ohrn. Or he is simple gambling on the fact that Hoch while he does have value is not getting any younger and if he can get a late round pick to replenish the end of next year's draft he will do it.

The Pats were not getting a 7th rounder for Ohrn, Bussey, Wendell or Connoly. So they traded the guy who could get him a pick and are rolling the dice on one of the younger guys.

Football with the cap has become as much about economics as talent and draft picks are a big part of that equation. So far BB has regained a 4th and 7th in the upcoming draft....those two picks were used on a couple WR's you might know not too long ago so you never know how the value of a late round draft pick really is.

I am personally pretty nervous though if koppen goes down and Wendell or Connolly(I cringe about him as much as Yates) becomes the starting center...unless they got Big Al on speed dial and he is able to play by midseason.

Well, my prediction of Ohrenburger not making the main roster just took a huge hit.

Well, i've learned one thing from this thread. We all agree that Yates coming off the bench scares the crap out of us :D

Well, i've learned one thing from this thread. We all agree that Yates coming off the bench scares the crap out of us :D

:yeahthat: ..........

Well, my prediction of Ohrenburger not making the main roster just took a huge hit.
No, not yet, but he can now take more reps to try and mess with your projections. He still looks like a rookie in his preseason play, Wendell and Connelly are well ahead of him by my tape measure.

...so it looks like Wendell and Connolly are competing for one center/guard roster spot.
Wendell and Connelly each took Center and Guard reps in both games, Wendell was the #2 Center against the Eagles and Connelly #2 against Cincy, also both worked in at RG and LG for spells. I'd say they are #1 & #2 with none of the other guys close - unless Bussey shines against the Redskins after being out with an injury. Orhnberger looks like a rookie and Yates is more up and down than Wen/Con - unfortunately for Billy, he looks like he played last season, Jekyll or Hyde.

After two preseason games, I project Ohrnberger to the PSquad, probably Bussey too. Yates may end up in KC, but not through trade.

A 6'8" center? Umm...;)

Vollmer's all tackle, IMO. It's up to Ohrnberger, Connolly, Wendell and maybe Bussey to man the inside.
Careful, you'll shatter his dreams. :ugh:

Care to explain this one????
The extra certification classes must really be messing with your sleep and your humor detector Db! bta had his tongue firmly planted in both cheeks on that thigh slapper. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes