Pats take Garret Mills in the 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaj18

On the Roster
Reaction score
Another TE??? Garret mills,

Good choice, still want Hass - BB is getting very offensive...:eek:

Pros: Can line up at fullback, H-back or tight end and give his team options in the passing game. He has some power, and his speed and running skills make him tough to bring down in the open field. As a pass-catcher, his hands are soft. He makes tough catches consistently. He gains nice separation in his routes, understands coverage and finds the soft spots in zones. Has strong lower body quickness and agility, allowing him to get into a defender and control him for the entire play. He is also a good special-teams player.

Cons: Despite the fact that he is projected as a fullback, he played tight end in college and had zero carries. He is a blocker who can handle a linebacker, but might struggle in picking up defensive ends.
Numbers: In 13 games as a senior, his 87 receptions were tops among tight ends and running backs. He gained 1,235 receiving yards (14.2-yard average) with nine touchdowns. Over his career, he made 201 catches for almost 2,400 yards – with 23 touchdowns. Earned first-team All-WAC honors over his final three seasons. At the combine, he lifted 225 pounds 23 times. He had a 35.5†vertical jump and a 9’3†broad jump.

Skinny: He is similar to the Vikings’ Jim Kleinsasser and Redskins’ Chris Cooley, who have been solid as blockers and receivers. Early second-day pick with ability to help immediately.

A mini Thomas?

Guess this pick shows us all just what BB thinks of the remaining defensive players!

The Cooley comparison is nice. If he was the best value on the board, then i'm all for it.

Remember, players are always getting injured, especially ours, and ya never know where we'll need a guy to step in and hold the fort.

Looks like a versatile player, can play FB and TE, good on special teams.

ESPN's Draft guide lists him as the #1 Fullback, and the best receiving fullback.

Extremely talented player who will probably play FB/H-back. Good ST player.

I will admit this one has me bafffled considering the defensive players left on the board.

alright, its not as bad now. Hopefully he can become our fullback down the road. We really don't have a everyday fullback, pass is more of a running back. Sounds like he's a good blocker and will be a receiving threat out of the backfield.

Love this pick. If anyone watched the OK/Tulsa game this year, you would know what this guy is all about. Almost singlehandedly beat OK. Has tremendous Heart.

Value, value, value. This is why the "wouldn't it be cool to fix our issue at ______" talk leaves me cold... you know every year the Pats are going to do whatever you're not thinking.

That's not just to mess with your head. It's the result of picking best available... so they saw a deep TE/FB class (or at least 2 guys they'd love to see out there) and went with it.

Okay, get ready for the serious shot-in-the-dark picks, sports fans!

PFnV

Ceresco said:
ESPN's Draft guide lists him as the #1 Fullback, and the best receiving fullback.

bingo. he would be a huge weapon in the I formation. another Sam Gash/ Larry Centers

He is going to be a Fullback/HBack...I like the pick better than the Thomas pick.

SaCaCh said:
Love this pick. If anyone watched the OK/Tulsa game this year, you would know what this guy is all about. Almost singlehandedly beat OK. Has tremendous Heart.
And versatile too.

Sounds like a Patriot player to me :cool:

PatsFanInVa said:
Value, value, value. This is why the "wouldn't it be cool to fix our issue at ______" talk leaves me cold... you know every year the Pats are going to do whatever you're not thinking.

That's not just to mess with your head. It's the result of picking best available... so they saw a deep TE/FB class (or at least 2 guys they'd love to see out there) and went with it.

Okay, get ready for the serious shot-in-the-dark picks, sports fans!

PFnV

Nail meet head. BAM! Good post.

This selection proves my offensive theory correct. For those of you not in the know, I'll tell ya. By drafting young, mobile OL the last few years, BB wasnt just trying to fill need, he was gauging the idea of an offensive change. Add in the pick of Maroney who many consider to be alot like Clinton Portis, coupled with the pick of Dave Thomas, who isnt going to be used as a TE at all, and that explains this pick of Mills, who will bew hopefull filling our 3rd TE spot. Anyways, sorry I am bad at trying to explain things in print.
Well, I am just trying to say that I thing the Pats are going to move towards a Redskins style offense. A zone block scheme RB in Maroney, another WR who can hit the middle. Ben Watson, dual receiving threat....
I mean the similarities go on, Thomas will play the role of Chris Cooley. Our offense is going to be groomed to what an offense should be. Agressive, and smack mouth. Time consuming and easy on the QB.
Imagine all of Brasdys options and all of the things this team can do with all of these weapons. They are all very multi-dimensional and can line up all over the field. I personally am very excited, and as far as the D goes. Either BB is VERY confident in who we have now on the squad, or perhaps has something in the works. Either way, I trust him.

Even though he won't be a TE, any player who holds an NCAA record for most receiving yards by a TE in a single season deserves the shot of showing us what he can do and how he can contribute.

Mills has great hands and finds the seams. He is an h-back/fullback. He reminds me of Todd Christensen if anyone is old enough to remember him.

J D Sal

New to the forum, but have been Pats fan for decades!

What happened to picking up some defense, LB and DB? Picking two TE when we have two good ones in the fold is a little mysterious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes