PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats still have a reasonable shot at the #2 seed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats Still Have a Reasonable Shot at the 2 Seed

It's the same result, but I don't THINK that's what the rules indicate. I think with a three way tie, the first thing that would happen is the Chargers "dropping out" because of 5 conference losses. Following that, the Pats would get the edge over Cincy based on common opponents.

Yea I was just doing some quick scenarios. However, if SD beats Cinci and drops the next 2 they'd be 11-5/8-4/3-2. If Cinci falls to SD and wins the last 2, they'd be 11-5/8-4/2-3. Then you go to strength of victory.

It's all BS, but it's a good exercise..:)

I'm not worried about the other 31 teams

Good points mgcolby. Where you been? Haven't seen you posting much lately. I think Cincy will be inspired this week, not to mention their great run defense, as you pointed out. I think they will at least be able to keep it a competitive game for sure, so we have a shot there.

If TEN continues to win this week vs. MIA, they'll be playing for something still, and will have been on a hell of a roll. It's a possibility at least that SD loses 1 if not 2.

Work has been insane this fall. Have been lurking mostly. I like Ten chances, as long as they control the clock with their running game. Its odd to think that Ten could rush the ball for 150-200 yards and lose the TOP battle because of Johnson's break away capability.

I hope Cincy shows up to play, they are definitely a wild card this week.

Last edited:

Cincy is a team this week that is VERY emotional for the death of teammate Henry, so you can either expect an emotional slaughter of "Win one for Chris" game or more likely a team that may not have thier heads in the game and get pummeled.

Yeah, I think it is 50/50. They played a similar game on the road against Baltimore after Zimmer's wife passed. I realize this was a teammate and not a wife of a coach but they are still one big family.

It will definitely be interesting to see how they come out. Either way it is a ****ty situation for them to be in. :(

I'm not worried about the other 31 teams

Yeah, we've got to focus on the game we're playing this weekend. If I think about other teams, I might lose my focus and get hurt out there.

Oh wait, we're not playing, we're fans--interesting to look at different scenarios.

Love it when people are using my signature against me !! :)

Last edited:
This surprised me, and odds are still against it happening, but it's clearly within the realm of possibility. If I have my tiebreakers right, it goes like this:

1) Pats win out.

Then, there's one game a week for us to root for:

1) Cincy beats SD this week. Who knows what role emotions will play for Cincy this week.

2) SD loses at Tenn the next week. Combine the resurgent Titans with a bizarre Friday night playing time, who knows what will happen.

3) Cincy loses to at the Jets the last week. The Jets D has been playing well, and could shut down Cincy the last week of the year.

Does anything here sound impossible?

Nice thinking and good work.

To answer your question, I think the chance of SD losing to both the Bengals and the Titans in successive weeks might not be "impossible" but does fall somewhere between "very slim and almost none."

Plus the "1) Pats win out" is not a slam dunk either, though more likely than two SD losses.

Last edited:
Nice thinking and good work.

To answer your question, I think the chance of SD losing to both the Bengals and the Titans in successive weeks might not be "impossible" but does fall somewhere between "very slim and almost none."

Plus the "1) Pats win out" is not a slam dunk either, though more likely than two SD losses.

Agree on both points, although I'm pretty confident the Pats will win out, assuming they have incentive to do so (and it's hard to see how they won't need to keep winning.)

But strongly agree on the Chargers--I like the fact we only have to worry about one game each week, but again, I think SD will beat Cincy, and if not, then Tenn. But what the hey, you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back