PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats still have a reasonable shot at the #2 seed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This surprised me, and odds are still against it happening, but it's clearly within the realm of possibility. If I have my tiebreakers right, it goes like this:

1) Pats win out.

Then, there's one game a week for us to root for:

1) Cincy beats SD this week. Who knows what role emotions will play for Cincy this week.

2) SD loses at Tenn the next week. Combine the resurgent Titans with a bizarre Friday night playing time, who knows what will happen.

3) Cincy loses to at the Jets the last week. The Jets D has been playing well, and could shut down Cincy the last week of the year.

Does anything here sound impossible?

Re: Pats Still Have a Reasonable Shot at the 2 Seed

I think the #2 seed is a long shot. The Chargers are playing too well to lose two of the last three games. It could happen, but I doubt it.

I feel like we ALWAYS get screwed. Last year we went 11-5, which gives you about a 99% chance of making the playoffs, and about 20 games didn't go our way. In 2002, we had the infamous Brett Favre meltdown. I don't remember many times when we've actually been pleasantly surprised by the results of other games.

I'd be surprised if San Diego loses to Cincy; besides that I can see the other scenarios playing out.

It would be better to play the Colts in the AFC Divisional Game. That's when they are always their worst, in their first playoff game.

I could see the Bengals upsetting the Chargers, but the other two are a major stretch IMO.

I feel like we ALWAYS get screwed. Last year we went 11-5, which gives you about a 99% chance of making the playoffs, and about 20 games didn't go our way. In 2002, we had the infamous Brett Favre meltdown. I don't remember many times when we've actually been pleasantly surprised by the results of other games.

I'd be surprised if San Diego loses to Cincy; besides that I can see the other scenarios playing out.

It would be better to play the Colts in the AFC Divisional Game. That's when they are always their worst, in their first playoff game.

Wow. Actually if you think about it, Favre has screwed the Pats 4 seperate times...

1) 1996/97 SB XXXI.
2) 2002, Week 17- Pack @ Jest and Jest won in a 42-17 Pack roll-over. Our boy Brett goes 16-33 in the loss.
3) 2007/08 NFCCC- We play GB, Pats win SB42. No Giant pass rush to worry about.
4) Last year. Jets beat the Fins in NY, Pats go to the playoffs. Instead, Favre poops the bed for the Jets in the loss.

Last edited:

Agree. If the Pats can't get the #2 seed, I hope they clinch the division before week #17. There are a lot of players that need a week off and there is little reason to play for the #3 seed.

I'll be happy if just 1. comes through.

The Pats have as much chance of being the second seed as I have

of winning the powerball. They have a banged up team and will be

hard pressed to win at Buffalo. Based upon their lack of success on

the road, they may end up 9-7 and no playoffs at all.

Actually in 2001 we went 11-5 and got a first round bye. I remember that several games down the stretch had to go our way, including a game where Oakland lost to the Jets --- which led to the Raiders coming to our house to play in the Snow Bowl....

The Patriots will earn the second seed when......

when_pigs_fly0.jpg

Come on guys,This is a 3rd or 4th seed at best,The Patriots left thier second seed fight to a knockout punch in Miami

You should consider this team fortunate if it even makes the playoffs...luckily they are in the most inconsistent division in the league.

Last edited:

your definition and my definition of 'reasonable' must be far, far apart.

Can it happen? Sure. Will it? Highly doubt it.

This surprised me, and odds are still against it happening, but it's clearly within the realm of possibility. If I have my tiebreakers right, it goes like this:

1) Pats win out.

Then, there's one game a week for us to root for:

1) Cincy beats SD this week. Who knows what role emotions will play for Cincy this week.

2) SD loses at Tenn the next week. Combine the resurgent Titans with a bizarre Friday night playing time, who knows what will happen.

3) Cincy loses to at the Jets the last week. The Jets D has been playing well, and could shut down Cincy the last week of the year.

Does anything here sound impossible?

If that happens, and Cinci goes 2-1 (8-4 in conf) and SD goes 1-2 and (beats Wash), all 3 teams will be 11-5 AND 8-4 in conf

If that happens....

NFL Tie-Breaking Procedures

Going off of this: "To determine home-field priority among division titlists, apply Wild-Card tie breakers."

Wild Card Tie-breakers: Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

5. Strength of victory.

Common Opponents
Pats 3-2 (hypothetical)
Den-L
Bal-W
Hou-W (hypothetical)
NYJ-L
NYJ-W

SD 2-3 (hypothetical)
Den- L
Den -W
Mia -W
Bal-L
Ten- L (Hypothetical)

Cinci (2-3) (hypothetical)
Den-L
Bal-L
Bal-W
Hou-L
NYJ-W (hypothetical)

If this happens, Pats would get #2 seed.

Like you say, long shot but possible....

Last edited:

Not one of those outcomes would be wildly unexpected were it to happen, so I think deeming the 2 seed possibility "reasonable" is ok. Obviously it is quite unlikely that all 6 of those games go the way we need them to, but it's not like we need the Rams to go into SD and win, or anything.

It's important for Cincinnati to win Sunday not just for the 2 seed possibilities, but also for potential playoff seeding. It also keeps the possibility alive for the Bengals to get the 2, and the Chargers to potentially (if they lose at Ten) slip to the 4 (if the Patriots win out). This would set up a 3/6 matchup against whomever (Baltimore/Miami/Denver), then, if they get a win there, a divisional round matchup in Cincinnati, while San Diego (or the winner of the 4/5, if they get beaten), slop up to Indy.

It's a lot like last year, in some respects. One game changed the Pats fortunes from "11-5 and out", to "12-4 and a first round bye" (if they win vs. Pittsburgh last year, they actually climb to the 2). Anything from 2 to being out altogether is entirely possible...

i can see the pats going 11-5 but there is no way san diego will loose 2 games they are playing the best football out of every team in the NFL

IF that scenario plays out, the Bengals might have the AFC North locked up by the time they play the Jests, so they might be resting players for that game.

It's a lot like last year, in some respects. One game changed the Pats fortunes from "11-5 and out", to "12-4 and a first round bye" (if they win vs. Pittsburgh last year, they actually climb to the 2).

Last year was seriously messed up. It was not out of the realm of possibility for the Pats to be 12-4 and tie for the best record in the NFL...and still miss the playoffs. I think it only took the Pats beating the Jets (3rd and 15), Fins beating the Jets (late int in end zone) and Ravens beating the Titans (had the lead late). The stars aligned against the Pats last year in an unbelievable way that I don't think we will ever see again. They are due for a little positive karma this year.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that if the Pats are hoping for the Jets to beat the Bengals the last week of the season to get a first round bye, the Jets will lose. Every time the Pats' playoff hopes have relied on the Jets' winning or losing the last week of the season during the Belichick era, the Jets do the opposite of what the Pats' needed. They beat the Packers big time in 2002 and lost to the Dolphins who played like they were trying to lose last year.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that if the Pats are hoping for the Jets to beat the Bengals the last week of the season to get a first round bye, the Jets will lose. Every time the Pats' playoff hopes have relied on the Jets' winning or losing the last week of the season during the Belichick era, the Jets do the opposite of what the Pats' needed. They beat the Packers big time in 2002 and lost to the Dolphins who played like they were trying to lose last year.

Couldnt agree more......that fat bastard Rexy will do that on purpose because as he said, he isnt here to kiss BB's rings.......f*cking rat bastard....

IF that scenario plays out, the Bengals might have the AFC North locked up by the time they play the Jests, so they might be resting players for that game.

Possible. All depends how SD does and what the matchup for 3 vs 6 is as opposed to 4 vs 5.

Still a ton of permutations to go!

That is less about the Jets and more about Favre. He has crapped the bed to eliminate the Pats from the playoffs twice. Add in the Super Bowl loss in '96 and I'm hoping for the Vikings to be the last stop on the Brady Vengeance Tour this postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes