PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign CB Jason Webster [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats Sign WEBSTER today to compete at CB (merged X2)

Ok with Jason Webster and Mike Anderson trippled with Ellis i suck Hobbs we now have the Nickel and Dime backs positions covered. Now when are we going to Sign or Trade for a real playmaker at CB? I would seriously over pay TY Law for a year or two for his services. Right NOW! we have nothing at CB Peyton Manning and the rest of the AFC must be licking their chops. New Patriots Secondary = Completion waiting to happen.

Webster was actually a pretty good signing because he came on

the cheap. Healthy, (a big IF), he is a pretty decent cornerback

who will probably be the nickle back. Replacing Samuel will be the

major challenge. The two other good free agent cornerbacks have

been franchised. Trading for a good corner will require a high pick

and the player obtained may demand a contract renegotiation to

obtain near Samuel money. DeAngelo Hall might be as big a pain

in the butt with the Patriots as he is with Atlanta. Luckily, this

is a draft loaded with good cornerbacks so the Patriots should be

able to get a couple for the future. The cornerback situation

is one of the reasons the Pats obtained Dom Capers as defensive

backfield coach.

Re: Pats Sign WEBSTER today to compete at CB

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you read in my post that advocates blowing big $$$ on FA CBs. If anything, I support the opposite in my contention I'd rather have Webster at his price & production than Gay at his price & production.

I'm simply pointing out the front office has done a poor job of scouting FA CBs. That doesn't mean they should spend a lot for "big names."

On the bright side, the FO seems to do a better job scouting rookie DBs, so hopefully they can draft 1-2 DBs who can make in impact in 2008.

I don't see a lot of teams getting great FA cornerbacks without spending big. Teams tend to keep their own. Or covet other teams and bid the price up.

If you see a lot of good starters getting picked up for little money I'd be surprised, I don't.

Scouting can only reveal what exists.

A quick look at the college crop reveals a lot of six foot and over prospects.

I said a quick look, so correct me if I'm wrong.

When do we stop shopping at Wal Mart and start shopping at Sak's 5th Avenue? Good lord. The Sam Aiken and Jason Webster era has begun ladies and gentlemen. Super Bowl 43 here we come!:rolleyes:
Yeah, BB's done that since he's been here and we have yet to make the playoffs. Wish we had Matt Millen making our personnel decisions.

What a donkey dabbler.

terrible signing. He will be cut in training camp.

Last edited:

Odds are pretty good he is as good as, or better than, Randall Gay. Yawn of a sign, but we need some of these guys. Why not?

How do you know that? He was good in ATL under Mora. Hopefully he doesn't turn into another Starks. :eek:

First of all, thanks for the great analysis.

Second of all, even if he is cut in training camp, bringing in guys for a look (even if they don't work out) is part of running an NFL team. You might not have noticed, but depth is important in the NFL, and certainly at the corner position. You might also not have noticed that we currently have one decent cornerback under contract for next season. So forgive me if I'm not going to go out on a limb and declare giving a look to a veteran CB who at worst can provide some depth as a "terrible signing" before he's even put on the uniform.

You might want to specify which Webster was signed, considering there is also a Corey Webster who plays Corner for the Giants.

Seems like a depth move to me, but considering how shallow we are at corner right now, it can't hurt.

We signed the Webster who is an injury prone JAG/STIFF.

When do we stop shopping at Wal Mart and start shopping at Sak's 5th Avenue? Good lord.
Are you one who wishes to throw money around like a drunken sailor?? you should be a fan of the falcons or Raiders..

Ok with Jason Webster and Mike Anderson trippled with Ellis i suck Hobbs we now have the Nickel and Dime backs positions covered. Now when are we going to Sign or Trade for a real playmaker at CB? I would seriously over pay TY Law for a year or two for his services. Right NOW! we have nothing at CB Peyton Manning and the rest of the AFC must be licking their chops. New Patriots Secondary = Completion waiting to happen.
the doomsayers are back...

Last edited:

He's just a body that will be cut before the season starts. Hopefully, he's a little better than that.

Unfortunately for the Patriots, the crop of good college cornerbacks

arrived in 2008 instead of 2007. Now, the Pats have to start from

scratch developing young cornertbacks.

I'd rather pay what the Pats paid for Webster than what the Saints paid for Gay. Or do you think dollar-for-play the Saints ended up with the better value?

Both teams are getting injury prone cornerbacks.

Last edited:

Unfortunately for the Patriots, the crop of good college cornerbacks

arrived in 2008 instead of 2007. Now, the Pats have to start from

scratch developing young cornertbacks.

O.K. How about these two in Denver. They have Foxworth and Karl Payma as CB and both have the RFA tag. They can't keep both. I understand that they dabbled with Foxworth at S and it was not pretty but he could be a decent CB so that is where is is set for 08. Both are taller at about 6' and Foxworth can fly. I understand that Paymah came on hard at the end of 07 and is starting to develop niecely. You CAP and restriction knowledgeable guys, what would each cost the Pats?
I'd still trade our QB Gutierrez (who the new Atlanta GM former of Pats wants as he thought he has an upside here and the Falcons need a QB) AND MAYBE A 2ND? If we can get D Hall under contract and signed. He is more talented that Assante. Would that make a decent splash here and around the league. Would you trade our #7 for the Falcons second rounder which is 35th choice plus Gutierrez for D Hall?
DW Toys

O.K. How about these two in Denver. They have Foxworth and Karl Payma as CB and both have the RFA tag. They can't keep both. I understand that they dabbled with Foxworth at S and it was not pretty but he could be a decent CB so that is where is is set for 08. Both are taller at about 6' and Foxworth can fly. I understand that Paymah came on hard at the end of 07 and is starting to develop niecely. You CAP and restriction knowledgeable guys, what would each cost the Pats?
I'd still trade our QB Gutierrez (who the new Atlanta GM former of Pats wants as he thought he has an upside here and the Falcons need a QB) AND MAYBE A 2ND? If we can get D Hall under contract and signed. He is more talented that Assante. Would that make a decent splash here and around the league. Would you trade our #7 for the Falcons second rounder which is 35th choice plus Gutierrez for D Hall?
DW Toys
NO...I don't like Hall that much more do to his attitude..and I THOUGHT I heard somewhere he didn't want to come here..If that is true..the deal will NOT happen..but in general, not good, even though he is talented. More interested in one of teh two Denver has..but again..let Bioli do their magic.

DW Toys

I would trade nothing involving our second round pick or first round pick for D. Hall. Hall is a cancer that the Falcons HAVE to DUMP. You don't overbid against yourself for a headcase that his original team doesn't even want. Put em over the barrel, sit tight, and ship a 4th out for him on draft day if you want to gamble on this guy turning around.

Last edited:

When do we stop shopping at Wal Mart and start shopping at Sak's 5th Avenue? Good lord. The Sam Aiken and Jason Webster era has begun ladies and gentlemen. Super Bowl 43 here we come!:rolleyes:

Where, exactly, did we shop for the top free agents of 2007 & 2008 - for the illiterate (that's you NSA) that would be Adalius Thomas & Randy Moss.....but let's not confuse ourselves with facts.

I see the pats drafting corner in the first round.

Most probably trade down and get multiple picks for the 7th overall.

I don't think it was a bad move that the pats have stayed relatively quite in FA this year. FA is really weak this year and Randall Gay signed to a relatively huge contract. There is a lot of foolish investments this year, I am glad the Pats have stayed out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes