PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign CB Jason Webster [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats Sign WEBSTER today to compete at CB (merged X2)

Seriously, I'm sort of a newb here, I acknowledge that and bow to the pecking order, but Christ Almighty, the Johnny come latelys and Bandwagoneers seem to have taken over already.

If you guys (NSA et al) had actually paid attention before they won a superbowl, you might remember that winning with JAGS is what this team does. Period. Our best are JAGS with chips on their shoulder (which is why I LOVE Randy for his quote yesterday) or JAGS with skills and chips on their shoulders. Ty Law needs to feed his family? Oh no, I guess we'll just have to use a 4th round pick on a CB. Lawyer Milloy wants more than he's worth as a product of a system? Oh gosh, we'll just have to pick up a guy at the end of his career (thanks Rodney!) Samuel is gone? Oh no, we might have to use another 4th round pick. Gay is gone? Oh no, let's see if Hank Poteat is available (and, for the record, I wouldn't mind having him back...know why JCL's? 'Cause the staff believed in him enough to have him here, and guess what, he helped us win games). We just signed a JAG that has had an ok career, and Bioli felt that there was something there. Already a leg up on Poteat and Gay from what I remember. Sorry, but this kind of whining is the most annoying to me, the Randy Moss "OH GOD HE'S LEAVING" crew at least had a legit concern. Our D needs help, but it needs depth, not necessarily superstars, and signing a blue collar guy who knows he wants to play here and play in the system is a good sign, in my eyes at least, even if he isn't your prototypical #1, 2, or even 3 CB.

Seriously, I'm sort of a newb here, I acknowledge that and bow to the pecking order, but Christ Almighty, the Johnny come latelys and Bandwagoneers seem to have taken over already.

If you guys (NSA et al) had actually paid attention before they won a superbowl, you might remember that winning with JAGS is what this team does. Period. Our best are JAGS with chips on their shoulder (which is why I LOVE Randy for his quote yesterday) or JAGS with skills and chips on their shoulders. Ty Law needs to feed his family? Oh no, I guess we'll just have to use a 4th round pick on a CB. Lawyer Milloy wants more than he's worth as a product of a system? Oh gosh, we'll just have to pick up a guy at the end of his career (thanks Rodney!) Samuel is gone? Oh no, we might have to use another 4th round pick. Gay is gone? Oh no, let's see if Hank Poteat is available (and, for the record, I wouldn't mind having him back...know why JCL's? 'Cause the staff believed in him enough to have him here, and guess what, he helped us win games). We just signed a JAG that has had an ok career, and Bioli felt that there was something there. Already a leg up on Poteat and Gay from what I remember. Sorry, but this kind of whining is the most annoying to me, the Randy Moss "OH GOD HE'S LEAVING" crew at least had a legit concern. Our D needs help, but it needs depth, not necessarily superstars, and signing a blue collar guy who knows he wants to play here and play in the system is a good sign, in my eyes at least, even if he isn't your prototypical #1, 2, or even 3 CB.
You have become one of my favorite posters now.

I would trade nothing involving our second round pick or first round pick for D. Hall. Hall is a cancer that the Falcons HAVE to DUMP. You don't overbid against yourself for a headcase that his original team doesn't even want. Put em over the barrel, sit tight, and ship a 4th out for him on draft day if you want to gamble on this guy turning around.

I agree. Hall is a pain in the butt who would probably want a new

contract. I do like the idea, suggested elsewhere, of the Pats checking

out RFAs. They might be able to get a cornerback or linebacker with

three years of pro experience.

Anyone on defense under 250# is a JAG.....

I think it was a solid signing and I assume we got him for a good price.

You have to have depth. No one is arguing that the guy will make a great replacement for Samuel and BB didn't suggest that either.

Why all tearing of clothes and knashing of teeth? It's almost like some of you have post 2007 amnesia. We used to make the kinds of signings all the time, the fans were cautiously happy, and BB and crew made it all work.

Have we become spoiled pampered bratty fans? Did 2007 ruin us?

Have some faith

i agree... great post dude

On the whole, I'd rather have Hank Poteat.

But if the FO insists on shopping at Filene's Basement for FA CBs, then I suggest that it also seriously look at:
Hank the Man
Brian Kelly
Andre Dyson
Travis Fisher
Ralph Brown
Gary Baxter
Sammy Davis
Fernando Bryant
William James
David Macklin
Lewis Sanders
Donald Strickland
Frank Walker
Matt Ware
and as a CB, Eugene Wilson

I'm not sure if I should add Ty Law to my list, because:
1) He may insist on being paid like a top-16 CB; and...
2) Can he even play CB, or has he eaten himself into a Safety?

Travis Fisher is now off the market. He re-signed with Detroit for 3 years/$9M, incl. $4.25M the first year.

On the whole, I'd rather have Hank Poteat.

But if the FO insists on shopping at Filene's Basement for FA CBs, then I suggest that it also seriously look at:
Hank the Man
Brian Kelly
Andre Dyson
Travis Fisher
Ralph Brown
Gary Baxter
Sammy Davis
Fernando Bryant
William James
David Macklin
Lewis Sanders
Donald Strickland
Frank Walker
Matt Ware
and as a CB, Eugene Wilson

At least we know Hank can tackle. I always thought he did really well here.

Webster is terrible. From what little I saw of him before he got hurt, mostly preseason, he was getting burned left and right.

Unless the Pats are really, really thin at CB, expect him to be cut before week one.

Here is what Bills fans think of the Webster signing:
http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=45518
I can't help but think "thank god I'm not a Bills fan" because having to deal with those overzealous homers on a daily basis would cause me to puke so much my teeth would rot. While we do occasionally have our share of trolls, homers, etc, I've yet to see the kind of ridiculous zealotry and hatred for teams just because they're "good" out of this crew (maybe I just haven't been here long enough but I hope not). "I think they cheated all the time and they're actually the worst team in the history of the NFL! We're gonna prove it, darn it, and then you'll see! You'll see! Dear God I hope you'll see!" My god, I was at the November game at Buffalo and the fans were, for the most part, pretty good even though the Pats fans almost outnumbered the Bills fans. Personally, I think the Bills 4 superbowls should all be removed from the record books because Mark Kelso used what should have been looked at as an illegal helmet. I bet he had video taping equipment in that giant brain bucket! Cheaters! That's the only way you could possibly lose 4 superbowls in a row! Karma! :rolleyes:
Forgive me if I'm not torn up that they don't think he's a good player, I trust BB and Pioli a lot more than those guys.

Forgive me if I'm not torn up that they don't think he's a good player, I trust BB and Pioli a lot more than those guys.

So do I, although BB/SP's track record for FA CBs has included more misses than hits lately.

Last edited:
Is this a one-year vet minimum contract?

Hes going to cost just about a million now. But it all depends on if he can still play at an effective level. Last year he showed he could not. I think this might be the end for him unless he found a mini fountain of youth that gave him some play from say 3 years ago.

Bring Back Earthwind Mooreland !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back