PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign CB Jason Webster [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats Sign WEBSTER today to compete at CB

When do we stop shopping at Wal Mart and start shopping at Sak's 5th Avenue? Good lord. The Sam Aiken and Jason Webster era has begun ladies and gentlemen. Super Bowl 43 here we come!:rolleyes:

Hey stupid, you do realize the team just re-signed Randy Moss and Tedy Bruschi. ******* moron.

Hey stupid, you do realize the team just re-signed Randy Moss and Tedy Bruschi. ******* moron.

Calm down pal. No need to curse. Tedy Bruschi? Are you kidding me? The guy is practically a dinosaur. I love the guy, but let's get serious already. The next thing I'm going to hear is how everyone gets all warm and fuzzy when Troy Brown resigns to the team. Tedy Bruschi is a part-time player or should be. He is old, slow, and undersized. A heart of a lion but he is nowhere near an impact player anymore.

I can't recall the last time a FA CB came in and made any impact with the team. I suppose Chad Scott (?) but tough to say because of the injuries.
Ty Poole and prior to him, Otis Smith.
Said this, I still hope Chad Scott is brought back in addition to Ty Law. I'm not ready to give a roster spot to Richardson just yet, and even if he were to make the team, we still need bodies back there.

JAG

looks like the Patriots could have the shortest CB tandem in the NFL

Why? Do you honestly think they are signing him to be one of their main starters opposite Hobbs? Doubt it. He's a good 4th CB though.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Webster played all 16 games his first three years in the league, and was pretty productive, then he started having various injury problems. Missing 11 games in 2003, 6 games in 2004, 1 game in 2005, 8 games in 2006, and 15 games in 2007. So, I wouldn't keep my hopes up that he'll stay healthy.

Career Stats:
87 games, 408 total tackles, 56 PD's, 0.5 sacks, 6 FF's, 11 INT's, 2 TD's

Last edited:

No surprise here. Every season we bring in veterans for corner depth. Some make it some dont. The fact that he has started for most of his career when healthy, indicates he can play some. Double edged sword. Seems competant, but we hope he doesnt make the team because that means we found players better than him.
I can live with this guy as the#4 corner, would hope we do better for the nickel, and would expect he has the camp of his life if he ends up a starter.

Randall Gay 2.0

Exactly! He had the same problems Randall Gay had in 2005 and 2006

with regard to injuries. If he can avoid injury problems, he is the Pats

new nickle back. When healthy early in his career, he was a pretty

decent cornerback. He was good enough to get a lucrative contract

from Atlanta. I was surprised Randall Gay got his big contract after his

past injury problems.

I would assume that Merriweather, Sanders, Harrison, and Hobbs are still 4 out of the top 5 guys and Webster is somewhere below that. Where he fits in will depend on whether BB can bring a true #1 corner (Sheppard?), the draft, and whether these guys stay healthy.

Ty Poole and prior to him, Otis Smith.
Said this, I still hope Chad Scott is brought back in addition to Ty Law. I'm not ready to give a roster spot to Richardson just yet, and even if he were to make the team, we still need bodies back there.

Well again, doesn't say much that you have to reach back to 2000-2002 to list decent CB FAs. Point still remains Pats recent track record with FA CBs has been dismal at best.

I'd actually like them to re-sign Chad as well; he has looked starter quality when he has been out there. Richardson will likely go the way of most rookies who get IR'd by Pats: cut.

Re: Pats Sign WEBSTER today to compete at CB (merged X2)

We always bring in vet CBs like this as insurance and to see what they can provide.

I imagine we're adding Law and 2 CBs through the draft, and we'll have Richardson back, who looked strong in pre-season. I think Hobbs, Law, Webster, Richardson + two draftees will be a strong and deep cornerback group to bring to TC.

Last edited:

Well again, doesn't say much that you have to reach back to 2000-2002 to list decent CB FAs. Point still remains Pats recent track record with FA CBs has been dismal at best.

I'd actually like them to re-sign Chad as well; he has looked starter quality when he has been out there. Richardson will likely go the way of most rookies who get IR'd by Pats: cut.

Tyrone Poole was their last good free agent cornerback. That year

the Pats got the best free agent (Colvin) and the top rated sleeper

(Poole). Then, they got Rodney Harrison to boot.

Tory James...

oh wait.

He was cut.

Webster is JAG, if he ends up panning out, cool beans.

If not, prolly not much of a loss either way.

Hopefully he is good.

Ok with Jason Webster and Mike Anderson trippled with Ellis i suck Hobbs we now have the Nickel and Dime backs positions covered. Now when are we going to Sign or Trade for a real playmaker at CB? I would seriously over pay TY Law for a year or two for his services. Right NOW! we have nothing at CB Peyton Manning and the rest of the AFC must be licking their chops. New Patriots Secondary = Completion waiting to happen.

Last edited:

How much money did Webster get anyway.
Lol another 5'9 corner.
OMG flashback nightmares of Buress outleaping and owning midget Hobbs in the endzone for the gamewinning TD, please go away! Is Webster our answer? I doubt it.

Ok calm down... breath. Aaah. Just tell yourself he's only a #4 CB. There's nothing to worry about yet. There's still the draft. This is strictly a depth move, or so I keep telling myself. :D

Last edited:

Jason Webster of the Bills. For a moment there I thought it was Corey Webster, the Giants corner that Randy Moss torched for the go-ahead touchdown in the 4th.

Ok with Jason Webster and Mike Anderson trippled with Ellis i suck Hobbs we now have the Nickel and Dime backs positions covered. Now when are we going to Sign or Trade for a real playmaker at CB? I would seriously over pay TY Law for a year or two for his services. Right NOW! we have nothing at CB Peyton Manning and the rest of the AFC must be licking their chops. New Patriots Secondary = Completion waiting to happen.

"Hey look at me, I have no idea what I'm talking about."

It's March 4.

Calm down pal. No need to curse. Tedy Bruschi? Are you kidding me? The guy is practically a dinosaur. I love the guy, but let's get serious already. The next thing I'm going to hear is how everyone gets all warm and fuzzy when Troy Brown resigns to the team. Tedy Bruschi is a part-time player or should be. He is old, slow, and undersized. A heart of a lion but he is nowhere near an impact player anymore.

bridge_troll.jpg

Why would you want to pay the ridiculous prices popular FA cornerbacks make?

Draft them. Let other teams pay top dollar for our free agents and 4th round picks.

Why would you want to pay the ridiculous prices popular FA cornerbacks make?

Draft them. Let other teams pay top dollar for our free agents and 4th round picks.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you read in my post that advocates blowing big $$$ on FA CBs. If anything, I support the opposite in my contention I'd rather have Webster at his price & production than Gay at his price & production.

I'm simply pointing out the front office has done a poor job of scouting FA CBs. That doesn't mean they should spend a lot for "big names."

On the bright side, the FO seems to do a better job scouting rookie DBs, so hopefully they can draft 1-2 DBs who can make in impact in 2008.

Alright, of all people why is Jason Webster’s last name capitalized as if his play has reflected that?

You might get some people’s hopes up...

He's a warm body with a pulse that can put a number in the 20's or 30's on his back. I'm hoping he's not our nickel back, let's hope BB has him pegged for nothing higher than a dime back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News