PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign Brandon Browner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought about Dennard making the transition to safety, but I think he lacks the speed.

He's an identical build to Gregory, most people here are begging to add a more physical presence.

Yup, I believe he's a better CB2 than Dennard, barring some more improvement from him, so it's still an upgrade, a major upgrade in the physicality department, but it also means that SS still needs something.

Wilson is not the answer, he couldn't run before hitting IR and Harmon is a risk for the simple fact we still know very little about him.

Possibly consider Chris Clemons and run 2 FS? McCourty is a good tackler but he isn't bringing the fear of god to anyone. Clemons would help even more with preventing the big play unless our scheme is going to involve a lot of 1-deep safety (DMC) and another roaming the LoS more.

Hard to tell what BB is planning. Having our group of CB's + DMC adds a lot of flexibility.

I've been mentioning Clemons a bit. He's not a tackler, which isn't a great thing for the position, but he's got range. With Clemons and McCourty, the Patriots would probably have the weakest tackling, but widest covering, duo in the NFL.

With Revis, Dennard and Browner, the CBs would be around to (hopefully) offset some of the tackling issues.

Browner's presser means one of three things. Either he doesn't know yet how the Pats plan to use him, or he knows how the Pats plan to use him and it's almost exclusively at CB. That means the team...

A) Still has plans for targetting a FA SS.

B) Plans to target one in the draft.

C) Feels good about what they have in Wilson and/or Harmon.

I hope, and think, it's "B".

Hoping for Belichick to meet the need at safety though the draft?

What do they say about doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results?

Browner's presser means one of three things. Either he doesn't know yet how the Pats plan to use him, or he knows how the Pats plan to use him and it's almost exclusively at CB. That means the team...

A) Still has plans for targetting a FA SS.

B) Plans to target one in the draft.

C) Feels good about what they have in Wilson and/or Harmon.

I hope, and think, it's "B".

Hoping for Belichick to meet the need at safety though the draft?

What do they say about doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results?

I take it by your comment about the definition of insanity that you're not high on Harmon or Tavon Wilson. I'm pretty sure you're not confident about Adrian Wilson, either. So, if you don't want to use the draft to secure a SS, you're more than welcome to sort through the available ones in FA and tell me who you'd prefer.

Let's find someone that's 5'7 from Rutgers with good versatility. lol.

I always thought about Dennard making the transition to safety, but I think he lacks the speed.

how's Dennard in zone?? One thing that makes McCourtey so good is that he's exceptional in zone coverage. Also, he doesn't seem to have that SS mentality.

Dennard is a pure corner, he's not moving to safety.

Playing safety, and taking over certain coverage responsibilities generally associated with a S/LB are 2 different things.

I don't doubt for a second that Browner will be covering some of the more capable tight ends throughout the season.

For Christ's sake, I don't want BB drafting any safety on the next draft.

Our secondary is ok, stacked and deep.

I haven't a clue with regard to Belichick's plans at safety. The only two "recent" decisions that have made sense to me were the moving of McCourty to safety and the signing of Gregory.

I am not confident of Adrain Wilson. Apparently, Belichick disagrees. I also expect him to sign another veteran who I will likely not recognize.

With regard to the draft, I focus picks in the first three rounds; the rest is gravy (although Belichick does well with these picks). I see us focusing on the lines and TE in the first three rounds; at least that is my strong preference.

And yes, Belichick could move one of the corners to safety, at least during camp (Arrington is certainly a candidate).

I take it by your comment about the definition of insanity that you're not high on Harmon or Tavon Wilson. I'm pretty sure you're not confident about Adrian Wilson, either. So, if you don't want to use the draft to secure a SS, you're more than welcome to sort through the available ones in FA and tell me who you'd prefer.

For Christ's sake, I don't want BB drafting any safety on the next draft.

Our secondary is ok, stacked and deep.

Well I'd qualify that and say that our secondary is stacked at outside corner, and slot corner, and FS. But the safety opposite from McCourty? That's another story.

Can either of Tavon Wilson/Harmon make the leap to becoming a starter quality safety? I'm just not sold. Neither of those players is overtly physical, rangy, or proven. An upgrade could be had. I'd be interested in picking up a physical safety like Pryor or Jimmie Ward.

But we have a lot of needs that will likely need to be prioritized - such as DL, OL (inside), and TE. Luckily we no longer need to take a CB or a WR early. The Pats have accomplished a lot in free agency. Give them some credit for that!

The Patriots signed cornerback Brandon Browner to a three-year contract, and here are the specific details, which add important context:

Total value: $12.35 million
Maximum value: $16.8 million
Signing bonus: $0

Base: $1 million (guaranteed)
Offseason workout bonus: $250,000
Roster bonus: $500,000 for making the 53-man roster at any point during the season (just has to be on it for one day and he sees this)
Second roster bonus: $150,000 per game he's on the 46-man roster
Playtime incentives: Up to $1.25 million

Base: $1.9 million
Roster bonus: $2 million (90-man roster at start of league year)
Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46-man roster
Playtime incentives: Up to $500,000 ($250k for 75 percent playing time; another $250k for 85 percent playing time)

Base: $1.9 million
Roster bonus: $2 million (90-man roster at start of league year)
Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46…
Playtime incentives: Up to $500,000 ($250k for 75 percent playing time; another $250k for 85 percent playing time)

QUICK-HIT THOUGHTS: From a team perspective, the guaranteed financial commitment is just $1 million (base salary for 2014). Everything else Browner earns will be based on performance and participation in the offseason program. A key marker in the contract is the $2 million roster/option bonus for Browner if he’s on the 90-man roster at the start of the 2015 league year. This contract is a bit different from the norm because of Browner's suspension, which, based on the language and clauses of the contract, was clearly a consideration in negotiating the deal.
Closer look at Brandon Browner's contract - ESPN Boston

If anyone didn't see, I think it's a good contract for the team.

My opinion is that Browner signing was because of the growing popularity of the tight end position in the NFL. This draft has one of the deepest and most talented tight end groups in memory with players such as –

- Eric Ebron
- Jace Amaro
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins
- Troy Niklas
- C.J. Fiedorowicz
- A.C. Leonard
- Colt Lyerla

Despite what our mock drafts may indicate, the Patriots will not draft all of them, so add them to other top tight ends in the NFL such as –

- Jimmy Graham
- Vernon Davis
- Jason Witten
- Julius Thomas
- Jordan Cameron
- Zach Ertz
- Charles Clay
- Antonio Gates
- Colby Fleener
- Tyler Eifert
- Jermichael Finely

If you look back at this past season, we struggled against the tight end with the exception of the Saints game when Talib covered Graham. In the games that we needed Talib to cover the outside receiver who was also exceptional the tight end had its way with us –

- Julius Thomas 8 receptions, 85 yards
- Colby Fleener 6 receptions, 74 yards
- Tony Gonzalez 12 receptions, 149 yards, 2 touchdowns
- Tyler Eifert 5 receptions, 53 yards
- Jordan Cameron 9 receptions, 121 yards 1 touchdown
- Greg Olsen 5 receptions, 52 yards, 1 touchdown
- Dennis Pitta/Ed ****son 8 receptions, 78 yards

Browner allows us to do what we did with Talib in week 5 every week with the tight end, and Revis will shut down the #1 WR. That leaves Dennard, Ryan, Arrington with help from McCourty to cover all secondary offensive options.

It is an outstanding contract; it is marginally more than we were paying for Steve Gregory.

Browner has some swagger to him too, he will fill some of that “badass” void that Talib left.

Talib had that you can't throw on me swagger. Ty Law type swagger.

Browner gives me more of that Rodney intimidation feel, even if he isn't at safety.

Talib had that you can't throw on me swagger. Ty Law type swagger.

Browner gives me more of that Rodney intimidation feel, even if he isn't at safety.

Revis also brings the same Ty Law/Talib 'swagger'. So we've got both, in my opinion. It's definitely an attitude we need.

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolin 44s
Browner said he didn't want to disrespect the #Broncos, but watching the Super Bowl, "It almost looked like a glorified practice."

(ouch, he's 100% right but that might already be a strike with BB)

Browner to stick with corner

After listening, I take back that potentially being a strike. It wasn't a shot, just media shortening the quote and missing context. What he said was fine, in my opinion.

from everything i am reading...if he gets a jam on you at the line...the WR is pretty much dead

from everything i am reading...if he gets a jam on you at the line...the WR is pretty much dead
Wait for it....

Goodell and competition committee look to institute the zero-yard contact rule to help protect player safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back