PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign Brandon Browner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait for it....

Goodell and competition committee look to institute the zero-yard contact rule to help protect player safety

Did Denver just hire Polian?

19.15: SIGNING! It seemed like this move was long on the cards and Brandon Browner has confirmed to Josina Anderson that he’s signed to play with New England for three years (minus of course a little league mandated suspension). Numbers from Schefter suggesting he’ll earn a ridiculous $17m max assuming he’s see it out. Browner is one of these cornerbacks you rarely don’t notice. He’s either making plays on the ball (29 pass break ups and 10 picks over three years) or getting played (28 penalties and 9 TDs allowed over that period). Buckle yourself in Patriots fans.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/14/2014-free-agency-live-blog-day-4/

Interesting tidbit I saw earlier

2014 NFL Free Agent Grades: WalterFootball.com

Patriots sign CB Brandon Browner (3 years, $17M; $1M guaranteed): A+ Grade

You read that right - there's just $1 million guaranteed on Brandon Browner's 3-year deal with the Patriots. That makes this an outstanding signing.

Browner is a talented corner, but there's major risk involved with him. He has to serve a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He'll be back in early October, but he's one infraction away from being banished for an entire season.

However, the Patriots did a great job of protecting themselves in case Browner screws up. If he's hit with another suspension, New England can just cut him without any sort of penalty. In the meantime, they'll have a talented No. 2 corner across from Darrelle Revis, meaning it'll be very difficult to throw on them.

I take it by your comment about the definition of insanity that you're not high on Harmon or Tavon Wilson. I'm pretty sure you're not confident about Adrian Wilson, either. So, if you don't want to use the draft to secure a SS, you're more than welcome to sort through the available ones in FA and tell me who you'd prefer.

Here's a couple of lists:
2014 NFL Free Agents - Free Agency Update - Rotoworld.com
WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Free Agent Tracker - Safeties

The only ones in which I have serious interest are Major Wright, Chris Clemons, Thomas DeCoud,
and possibly Nick Collins.

Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller discussed the Browner signing today on Sirius NFL radio.

Both were adamant that Browner would not be used at safety in a Belichick defense and that doing so would take away the strength of Browner's game -- press coverage at the line. Specifically, the ability to force the receiver to release in the desired direction. The example they gave is that with Browner's height, if he forces a receiver to release to the outside, it becomes virtually impossible to throw the sideline pass to that receiver. The required arc over a 6'3" defender means throwing up a rainbow that is just waiting to get picked.

Kirwin and Miller believe that the Pats will use the combination of Browner's jamming receivers at the line and rolling the coverage to his side to force the QBs to throw at Revis Island.

He’s either making plays on the ball (29 pass break ups and 10 picks over three years) or getting played (28 penalties and 9 TDs allowed over that period). Buckle yourself in Patriots fans

How are they trying to make giving up 9 TD over 38 games a bad thing? For a #2 CB giving up a TD on average every 4.2 games I would think would be in the positives.

Also going by ESPN and NFL's stats he had 39 pass break ups over those 38 games.

The penalties I think you have to be ok with because of how he plays. I mean as fans over the past several years we have seen Pats DBs have countless penalties and they weren't as physical as Browner plays.

He’s either making plays on the ball (29 pass break ups and 10 picks over three years) or getting played (28 penalties and 9 TDs allowed over that period). Buckle yourself in Patriots fans.

Haha no need to buckle up. So Browner give up 3 TD per season? I take it in a heartbeat.

Average around 9 penalties per year, roughly one every 2 games. I take that in a heartbeat also. Kyle Arrington when playing outside amassed 4-5 penalties PER game with 2 tds to go along with it.

The penalties I think you have to be ok with because of how he plays. I mean as fans over the past several years we have seen Pats DBs have countless penalties and they weren't as physical as Browner plays.

This.

The penalties can be beneficial at times. I'm not in favor of illegal hits, but sometimes lighting someone up good sets a tone that amps a team up. We've seen it countless times.

More than the first snap of the superbowl that resulted in a safety, it was the next drive that set the tone.

Seattle gave up 3-4 yard routes and blew the receivers up. Browner can do that. If a one penalty makes everyone he covers duck their heads while catching a pass I'm not against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3