PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign Brandon Browner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seahawks play Zone press. Browner actually excels @ Zone believe it or not. Which lends even more to the Safety or big nickel idea.

Not exactly the same zone coverage a S has. Seahawks basically have him play press man from the start until the WR leaves the sideline area and enters the middle of the field. He then would pass off the WR to the safeties.

I don't think he's very good at dropping back immediately and waiting for someone to enter his zone. That's what he'd be doing as a safety.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that when you are in a defense with five or six DBs on the field, whether you call them cornerbacks or call them safeties is rather irrelevant...

I think Belichick wants the ability to jam at least three receivers at the line. I think he signed Browner to do some of that jamming. I don't think it much matters what you call him...

:bricks:

God no.

He had a great season last year with 100+ total tackles for the Ravens. He looked terrible with us because our entire secondary was terrible. We had a WR (Edelman) playing in our secondary alongside guys like Antwan Molden and Sterling Moore.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that when you are in a defense with five or six DBs on the field, whether you call them cornerbacks or call them safeties is rather irrelevant...

I think Belichick wants the ability to jam at least three receivers at the line. I think he signed Browner to do some of that jamming. I don't think it much matters what you call him...

Fair point, did not think of that.

He had a great season last year with 100+ total tackles for the Ravens. He looked terrible with us because our entire secondary was terrible. We had a WR (Edelman) playing in our secondary alongside guys like Antwan Molden and Sterling Moore.

He was replaced by Matt Elam as the starting safety, and let go by the Ravens because they are looking to upgrade their secondary. In any case, putting Ihedigbo on the field just takes snaps away from better players. If you have Revis, McCourty, Browner as your first 4 DBs, then you're playing Ihedigbo over Harmon, Ryan and Arrington? I don't think so. And he's not worth paying as a backup safety. Wilson/Ebner have more upside, and are stud STers.

Total value: $12.35 million
Maximum value: $16.8 million
Signing bonus: $0

Base: $1 million (guaranteed)
Offseason workout bonus: $250,000
Roster bonus: $500,000 for making the 53-man roster at any point during the season (just has to be on it for one day and he sees this)
Second roster bonus: $150,000 per game he's on the 46-man roster
Playtime incentives: Up to $1.25 million

Base: $1.9 million
Roster bonus: $2 million (90-man roster at start of league year)
Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46-man roster
Playtime incentives: Up to $500,000 ($250k for 75 percent playing time; another $250k for 85 percent playing time)

Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46…
Playtime incentives: Up to $500,000 ($250k for 75 percent playing time; another $250k for 85 percent playing time)

Roster bonus: $500,000 for making the 53-man roster at any point during the season (just has to be on it for one day and he sees this)

Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46-man roster

Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46…

Closer look at Brandon Browner's contract - ESPN Boston

Gotta love the contract from the Pats perspective. Gives them protection from any substance issues

I don't sure how the Salary cap hit is calculated. So is the Salary cap hit only $1 mil for 2014?

I don't sure how the Salary cap hit is calculated. So is the Salary cap hit only $1 mil for 2014?

If he is cut before the season. If he plays to the full potential it will be around a $5m cap hit.

He misses out on the $150k bonus for the first 4 weeks of the season due to not being on the roster due to suspension.

If I did it correctly and not sure but based on these numbers

Min cap hit $3.45M ($1M if cut before playing a game)
Max cap hit 4.7(not sure how to calculate playtime incentives so this number is the full playtime incentives)

Browner at the podium:

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill 1m
Browner says he studies Revis.

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill 26s
Browner said they haven’t talked to him about playing safety. Says he is here to play cornerback.

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolin 40s
Brandon Browner says #Patriots haven't talked to him about playing safety, just cornerback, but "I'll play whatever needs be."

Field Yates ‏@FieldYates 38s
Brandon Browner notes playing with Darrelle Revis will help push him as a player, as he says Richard Sherman did in Seattle.

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 29s
Brandon Browner touches on Darrelle Revis & other Pats DBs. He envisions similar situation as Seattle with Richard Sherman and Co.

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolin 26s
Browner wouldn't provide much detail on his suspension, but "I look forward to righting my wrongs."

Mark Daniels ‏@mdaniels06 2m
Browner: "In the past few months my future has been in a dark place.. I'm looking forward to righting my wrongs."

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolin 44s
Browner said he didn't want to disrespect the #Broncos, but watching the Super Bowl, "It almost looked like a glorified practice."

(ouch, he's 100% right but that might already be a strike with BB)

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 1m
Brandon Browner says he was told that the Patriots play a lot of man, which he views as his strong suit. Just has to learn new terminology.

Phil Perry ‏@PhilAPerry 7m
Browner says "the decision wasn't too hard" for him to join the Pats. Said he was lucky NE was his first visit and that it was a good fit.

Browner will be our CB#2 starting in week 5, unless Dennard is having his best season yet.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 4m
Seeing tweets from Browner conference call, and actually talked to Seahawks people on this ... They saw him as strictly a CB. Not a safety.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 44s
Way Seattle saw it, Browner lacks the speed and range to play safety. Very good as a press corner, and plays smart.

Per Miguel, the 2014 cap hit will be $2.95M.

If I did it correctly and not sure but based on these numbers

Min cap hit $3.45M ($1M if cut before playing a game)
Max cap hit 4.7(not sure how to calculate playtime incentives so this number is the full playtime incentives)

The more I think of this signing, the more I like. First off, great contract for the Pats. Its much better than I thought it would be. No wonder his agent was getting pissed...BB had him bent over the table.

I look at Browner as (hopefully) the answer to those damn 3rd and longs. Its not the speed receivers that would kill us; its those big possession guys. The Boldins, VJaxs, and receiving TEs. Those guys who could work the center and the short outside routes. Places were the Pats smurf CBs are always at a disadvantage and why Talib was so necessary. This should be were Browner helps. I actually see him and Dennard as a rotating #2CB depending on the opponent.

I'm actually thinking that the Pats only play a single safety a lot and maybe at times, when Browner is on a TE, he plays the safety in the box when the TE stays in. Revis (he'll probably trail the best WR all game) all alone and McCortney (we really need to extend him this off-season) shading to the other side in zone.

Browner at the podium:

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolin 44s
Browner said he didn't want to disrespect the #Broncos, but watching the Super Bowl, "It almost looked like a glorified practice."

(ouch, he's 100% right but that might already be a strike with BB)

Not with me. Let the man speak his mind. Rodney, Bruschi and Mcginest did. No one has since they left. I miss that. This team needs some 'tude. IMHO.

Not with me. Let the man speak his mind. Rodney, Bruschi and Mcginest did. No one has since they left. I miss that. This team needs some 'tude. IMHO.

I like the attitude too, but 2 of those guys predate BB in New England and BB + Rodney were love at first sight.

One thing seemed clear: Browner's not expecting to be playing a lot of safety.

That was obvious once you thought about what Browner's strengths are.

I always thought about Dennard making the transition to safety, but I think he lacks the speed.

Yup, I believe he's a better CB2 than Dennard, barring some more improvement from him, so it's still an upgrade, a major upgrade in the physicality department, but it also means that SS still needs something.

Wilson is not the answer, he couldn't run before hitting IR and Harmon is a risk for the simple fact we still know very little about him.

Possibly consider Chris Clemons and run 2 FS? McCourty is a good tackler but he isn't bringing the fear of god to anyone. Clemons would help even more with preventing the big play unless our scheme is going to involve a lot of 1-deep safety (DMC) and another roaming the LoS more.

Hard to tell what BB is planning. Having our group of CB's + DMC adds a lot of flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back