PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats re-sign Hunter Henry

It was just a thought. My guess is that he would be TE3 , can block etc so no need to search for a replacement that is new to the team. Then a TE to back up HH would be required possibly from FA.
Sorry wasn't meant to be a shot so much as I didn't expect so many people to be wondering about him. I agree I would like to see Brown come back as a third TE and get a TE in the draft in the mid to late rounds to hopefully develop.

Belichick often said that TE in our system was the second-hardest position to learn after QB. If we assume that our new system will incorporate at least some of what we already do, having a veteran who has played here before is that much more valuable. I assume we will also draft a TE in the later rounds.

Signing makes a lot of sense.

I like it. A reliable receiver when we have a hard time getting good ones.

Maybe they feel Mac was holding him back.
He actually did look quite a bit better with Zappe last year, but then got hurt quickly.

While on the subject of Hunter Henry (and any TE for that matter) I pose this question: How can Gronk, at 6'6 and 265 be such a beast as a blocker, and Henry listed at 6'5 and 258, not be a consistently good to very good blocker? Is it due to upper/core/lower weight placement and/or strength? Is it lack of coaching during his career? Or is it just that he and other such TE's don't strive to be the "Complete Package"? I know that arm length and hand size and other factors come into play. I'm just throwing this out here to see what some of you have to say on why some ever so rare TE's are the complete package, why some are solid receivers but don't excel at blocking, and why some excel at blocking but aren't good receivers? Discuss.

I would have went after Ridley instead with Henry's offer included I'm meh about this deal.

If they want Ridley, this does nothing to stop them from getting him too. They needed tight ends, they need wide receivers. It's not an either/or situation.

Belichick often said that TE in our system was the second-hardest position to learn after QB. If we assume that our new system will incorporate at least some of what we already do, having a veteran who has played here before is that much more valuable. I assume we will also draft a TE in the later rounds.

Signing makes a lot of sense.
Van Pelt has said that the TE position is very important in his system. Perhaps they lean more on TEs and target another good TE in free agency instead of chasing a weak WR market. Then just be smart in WR free agency, bring Bourne back and maybe get a guy like Noah Brown, trade Parker, and draft a player or two and see how it goes. Probably also sign a high end RB since that market is also strong. They'll be run-heavy, play action, short/medium depth heavy this year anyway.

When it was reported they were "far apart" on discussions, of course they meant geographically speaking.

I would be shocked if Henry signed a deal less than what he got in 2021.

If the deal is as reported - $27M base ($9M/yr), then that's pretty good for an above avg. starting TE.
Even though he's 29, he's a good teammate, great character guy, and was still #2 in receptions on a terrible team the last 2 years (not including RB).
I hope they re-sign Pharoah, and then either get another guy (Trautman in FA) or draft a mid-round TE to develop.

I like this re-signing a lot

IMO, Henry wasn’t just the best TE left on the market, with the possible exceptions of Ridley, he was the best pass-catcher left.

Maybe Fant, but it’s close.

Seems like a very fair deal to fill a position of need and provide vet stability.
I would like Fant too also he's younger version of HH.

They can STILL go after Ridley, since the FA marketplace hasn't even opened yet. Hold your horses P
I really hope we sign Calvin Ridley in FA and double dip @ WR on Day 2 and 3.

I hope not, but he’ll come very cheap so I’m sure Kraft will be all for it.
Take another look at the CURRENT QB room.. you will change your mind.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back