PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Big Board, minus the busts

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion of Nelson has changed considerably since the beginning of the last college football season, very high on him, to now, not very impressed by him. In my opion he is the 3rd best FS in this draft, behind Landry and Griffin. And I have serious concerns about how he would fit in our defense.
That being said however, during the interview with BB, Pioli and him, BB probably just rolled film and asked Nelson what he's seeing and to describe the coverages. If Nelson is slow, then BB would have spotted it within a few minutes.

And while Landry is considered the best FS in this draft, as I said earlier, I did not see a lot of big plays from Landry in the biggest games. That concerns me a bit.

The one FS in this draft that I do like is Gattis of Wake Forest. As a junior 2 INT's returned for TDs. Game saving INT in the 4th Q last season. Decent skills and a decent ball hawk. With a year ot two in the Pats system to develop, he could be really special.

Completely agree on Gattis. Still confused about your comments re: Landry not making plays in big games. Landry blocked a punt in the closing seconds of the LSU/Florida game to give Russell yet another chance to score (he threw his 3rd INT 2 plays later). He picked off passes vs Arkansas with a BCS berth on the line and vs. ND in the Sugar Bowl. As far as Nelson goes... Honestly I don't understand where all the negativity on Nelson is coming from. He blocked a punt and forced the game winning INT with a jarring hit vs. LSU, picked off Ainge twice vs. UTenn, returned a pick 70 yards for a TD vs Alabama, picked off McFadden to seal the game vs. Arkansas, made a brilliant pick knocking himself unconscious vs. FSU. What more can the guy do? How could you be sky high on Nelson prior to the season, when he had done next to nothing in Divison I football (starting only 4 games), and then sour on him after a year in which he picked off 6 passes, blocked 2 kicks, made many game changing plays, and helped his team to a National Title? As far as Griffin goes... I've rarely seen so highly touted a SS be so reluctant to stick his nose in against the run, and take such poor tackling angles. Supposedly his neck stinger was the reason, but he did the same in the senior bowl. He may also have been playing with a foot problem, so maybe that affected him. I don't believe Griffin played at an elite level this year.

Before the season I got to do a bunch of work for the different school's spring practices and games, many of which aired on Comcast. Nelson stood out like a beacon and impressed me tremendously back then. He was literally al over the field making tons of plays.

Of course spring practices and games are vastly different from real games. I'll give you another example. Down at LSU. They have a 3rd string QB, forget the name, probably red shirted this year. I thought he was better than both Russell and the 2nd stringer. He threw the ball very well. Much more accurate than Russell and harder than the 2nd stringer.

Before the season I got to do a bunch of work for the different school's spring practices and games, many of which aired on Comcast. Nelson stood out like a beacon and impressed me tremendously back then. He was literally al over the field making tons of plays.

Of course spring practices and games are vastly different from real games. I'll give you another example. Down at LSU. They have a 3rd string QB, forget the name, probably red shirted this year. I thought he was better than both Russell and the 2nd stringer. He threw the ball very well. Much more accurate than Russell and harder than the 2nd stringer.

Sorry Ochmed, I forgot you have more first hand knowledge of these prospects than anyone on this board. I'm disappointed you are down on Nelson, but you must have good reasons.

What Nelson does have is a nose for the ball. I get tired of watching Pats' safeties year after year run around back there and never sniff the ball. Matt Stevens. Stone last year. Hawkins this year. Sanders. Nelson has a feel that players like these don't have. I do wonder whether Nelson might be too slight to hold up.

I like your top 32 board it's good to see Jay Moore pop up on that list. I thought he looked smooth in the linebacker drills at the combine. Might be a new Mike Vrabel for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes