PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats lost battle of the trenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that so many seem to be piling on Wendell (which I agree with on some level), but then in the same breath seem to ignore the fact that Connolly did not play well either throughout 2013, and was seen by the majority of fans and media to be the weakest link on the line in 2012 by far.

In other words yes, Wendell could use replacing, but I'm not as sure as some that Connolly doesn't too. He's now had 2 very sub-par seasons in a row, and is approaching a big cap hit for 2014. I'd rather see him stay for depth purposes, but he's going to need to get that cap hit down in order to do so.

It just seems like Connolly's problems are getting overlooked in this whole "chase Wendell out of town" thing
, and that seems odd. The reality is that they both need upgrading, and that Connolly did not look good at all in 2012 OR 2013...
You can see where I'm at with Connolly on the above post (right with you, it seems), but I completely agree that it'd be a mistake to enter the season with him as the starter. If Cannon can be the starting RG, then I'd be fine with counting on him with Connolly as a backup. If the coaches aren't sold on Cannon, then I think they need to bring somebody else in.

One thing that I've realized just lately, though, is that if Wendell is let go in free agency and Connolly is cut, then the Pats are really in need of a starting C, starting RG, and backup C, who we never saw because of Wendell's health (probably his best attribute), but I think we can safely assume would have been Connolly. We saw Kline play over a full game at LG this season, but I think it's a lot harder to expect a deep reserve like that to play center. If Connolly is back at the starter or back as a backup with his current contract, then I'd be disappointed. If he's gone without the addition of a viable starting RG and backup C, then I'd be disappointed as well. If he's gone but the Pats adequately replace him in both roles or he's back for cheaper, then great.

You can see where I'm at with Connolly on the above post (right with you, it seems), but I completely agree that it'd be a mistake to enter the season with him as the starter. If Cannon can be the starting RG, then I'd be fine with counting on him with Connolly as a backup. If the coaches aren't sold on Cannon, then I think they need to bring somebody else in.

One thing that I've realized just lately, though, is that if Wendell is let go in free agency and Connolly is cut, then the Pats are really in need of a starting C, starting RG, and backup C, who we never saw because of Wendell's health (probably his best attribute), but I think we can safely assume would have been Connolly. We saw Kline play over a full game at LG this season, but I think it's a lot harder to expect a deep reserve like that to play center. If Connolly is back at the starter or back as a backup with his current contract, then I'd be disappointed. If he's gone without the addition of a viable starting RG and backup C, then I'd be disappointed as well. If he's gone but the Pats adequately replace him in both roles or he's back for cheaper, then great.

Yep, that pretty much wraps it up. Ideally, we see Connolly kept at a lesser cost, and continue to add other possibilities as well. I think the general thinking is that we defifnitely need to improve our interior, and while obviously true, as you said the coaches may be exploring the possibility of Cannon playing RG, which lessens some of that need and could even allow us to add 1 interior + 1 tackle as well.

I am just a bit surprised that we are hearing a lot of talk about Wendell being such a weak link, but nothing at all about Connolly.

One aspect that I find to be in excellent shape is the thought that with the return to health from some of our injured, and the addressing of some issues, we should be in more than fine shape by the time TC rolls around.

The are obviously some weaknesses on this team, but they will be addressed as usual, and there's really no reason why we shouldn't continue to be highly competitive. One would think that if we continue to bang at the door, we're eventually going to be able to knock it down--in terms of the postseason.

I find it interesting that so many seem to be piling on Wendell (which I agree with on some level), but then in the same breath seem to ignore the fact that Connolly did not play well either throughout 2013, and was seen by the majority of fans and media to be the weakest link on the line in 2012 by far.

In other words yes, Wendell could use replacing, but I'm not as sure as some that Connolly doesn't too. He's now had 2 very sub-par seasons in a row, and is approaching a big cap hit for 2014. I'd rather see him stay for depth purposes, but he's going to need to get that cap hit down in order to do so.

It just seems like Connolly's problems are getting overlooked in this whole "chase Wendell out of town" thing
, and that seems odd. The reality is that they both need upgrading, and that Connolly did not look good at all in 2012 OR 2013...

You are correct, of course: they both suck.

At the bare minimum, and ass-uming a healthy Vollmer for 2014, an OL consisting of
Solder - Mankins - Connolly (at a reduced salary) - Cannon - Vollmer
could serve as a one-year stopgap until our 2 new studly C/G draft picks get up to speed
and replace Connolly and either Cannon or Mankins, if he refuses to also accept a pay cut.

Yep, that pretty much wraps it up. Ideally, we see Connolly kept at a lesser cost, and continue to add other possibilities as well. I think the general thinking is that we defifnitely need to improve our interior, and while obviously true, as you said the coaches may be exploring the possibility of Cannon playing RG, which lessens some of that need and could even allow us to add 1 interior + 1 tackle as well.

I am just a bit surprised that we are hearing a lot of talk about Wendell being such a weak link, but nothing at all about Connolly.

Connolly's fine as a versatile backup, but he's being used as a starter, and being paid starter's money. I was hopeful that we might bring Nick McDonald back as a cheaper backup alternative, but he signed a futures contract with San Diego last week. Bummer.

The best scenario I can think of right now is renegotiated Connolly to a lower cap hit, signing a UFA starter at either center or RG, and drafting a starter at the other position, with Connolly serving as a backup. Cannon could be the RG, but with Vollmer seemingly unable to play a full season that would expose us in other areas.

Didn't know about McDonald to SD. Too bad.

Yes, we lost the battle of the trenches on defense, but we knew that once we lost Wilfork/Kelly and Mayo. Next year will be different, BB rebuilt this defense pretty nicely and injuries derailed us

A healthy Seabass Vollmer and a CUT! Ryan Wendell:rolleyes: fixes our OL Issues nuff said! OL is the least of our Problems.

I wouldn't say the least of our problems, but a problem that might just need a couple of moves
to rectify, including not re-signing Wendy, drafting a top-100 C/G, and a healthy Vollmer.

Going on nfl.com, I found out during the regular season we rushed _for_ more in 2012 than we did last year. And our yards per attempt only went up by a negligable 0.2, 4.4 last year to 4.2 in 2012--and that's with Blount, the best big back since Dillon in 2004.

That tells me the offensive line went into regression mode. Connelly was a serviceable center. Wendell isn't. But Connelly played mediocrely last season. Is that a word?

I don't know why we moved him to guard and put in the less physically gifted Rich Ohrnberger (Wendell) at center? Marcus Cannon is too good to keep as a backup OT.

Last edited:
Last week I gave my opinion on picking a center in the draft. I stand by that today and will not deviate. I do NOT want this team signing a free agent. Draft a blue chip center, control him for the next five years. Make Wendell and Connolly versatile backups across the interior of the O line. This one move solves a number of possible problems.

I wouldn't say the least of our problems, but a problem that might just need a couple of moves to rectify, including not re-signing Wendy, drafting a top-100 C/G, and a healthy Vollmer.
Hoping for a healthy Vollmer considering his checkered medical past is like trying to hope for a virginal Paris Hilton considering her checkered medical past.

Last week I gave my opinion on picking a center in the draft. I stand by that today and will not deviate. I do NOT want this team signing a free agent. Draft a blue chip center, control him for the next five years. Make Wendell and Connolly versatile backups across the interior of the O line. This one move solves a number of possible problems.

And we can get a Blue Chip Center in the Third - Fourth or Fifth Rounds I am on board.:rocker:

Hoping for a healthy Vollmer considering his checkered medical past is like trying to hope for a virginal Paris Hilton considering her checkered medical past.

I volunteer myself to investigate that possibility...of Paris Hilton, not SeaBass.

I agree with drafting a center.

Many people keep saying you can get away with an undersized center if you put him between two good guards.

Why would you want to? And if even if we could, we'd still be missing the second good guard.

Pats lost battle of the trenches due to a system failure in the postseason.

They have surgeries for that now.

So you're saying there's a chance

Pats lost battle of the trenches due to a system failure in the postseason.

That's absolutely ridiculous. The ZBS that the Pats employ has gotten the team five Super Bowl trips since 2001 and three wins. The problem is that Connolly and Wendell were always weak links in the interior OL. Teams figured that out near the end of last season and Baltimore exploited it in the AFCCG. Wendell, in particular, has been anywhere from mediocre to absolute trash. He's too small and too weak to be a starting center in this league and I absolutely hope that, if he comes back, it's for a small amount of money to be a back-up while the team either looks at prospects in the draft or moves Connolly back to center (where he's a more natural fit than at RG).

Defensively, their depth was tested. The amount of injuries simply caught up to them. DT is a need as well. I love Nix in the draft if Wilfork isn't able to come back the same. He's an absolute space eater and is capable of taking on double teams. If the team is planning on doing more one gapping in the future, Jernigan is a very interesting prospect along the DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back