Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pats K Stephen Gostkowski confidence meter

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by strongside, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strongside

strongside Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1

The 07 game for Gostkowski was a little uneven. He yanked a Kickoff out of bounds and was passed on for a long (57?) field goal despite being indoors on a 4th and long.

Whats your confidence level with Gost going into this game if he has to line up the game winner?

I worry about him for some reason missing a kick early then I do with the game on the line. The guy seems to have a very even disposition. I think he will have a good handle on his nerves. Also, think his range will push 57 in that place.
  2. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -3

I just get bad vibes. Of course no one can compare to the security blanket that was AV. Even after he missed the first two in SB 38, I had no doubt that he would nail the game winner. Gostkowski is the opposite. I am confident that he will nail everything in the first quarter, but I have my doubts about the 4th quarter.
  3. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -2

No Jersey Selected

Good question. I read somewhere he was 13 of 15 in playoff field goals, which is pretty good (remember Vinatieri missed one and had one blocked in SB38 alone). IIRC, Gost had a big kick in San Diego in the 06-07 playoffs, so he's done clutch. For some reason, it never seems like the stats translate into fan confidence with him though. I remember he shanked one vs the Giants earlier this year (eerily close to the area from which Cundiff missed); I was at the game and just didn't feel confident in him making it. To be honest, I'd prefer he score something like 6 points, all on PATs; but if he needs to make a big kick, my confidence is 6 or 7 out of 10.
  4. Gronkandez

Gronkandez Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 2 / -6

Im sure whoever the Giants kicker is (Matt Bahr?) he's much better since the Giants are better in every matchup in this game. :rolleyes:

He looked great on kickoffs last week and I'd expect the same this week. As for FG, I'm not worried.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Check out this article on Gostkowski from a few days ago. Perhaps some here may not have confidence, but he has confidence in himself - and that's what matters. Unlike many kickers he actually is a well-rounded athlete. It all started by competing and excelling against much older competition at an early age.

Madison mom eager to watch son in Super Bowl | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com

By the way, he has kicked winning field goals against a team quarterbacked by Eli Manning; I think there is a very good chance that he will do it again.

6. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

that guy gives me a heart attack on 30 yarders
  7. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 5 / -1

#95 Jersey

If he has a 40 yard FG with the game on the line...I wil **** myself
  8. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I definitely recall many Pats fans saying similar things about Adam Vinatieri prior to the 2001 playoffs, how he made them nervous and they didn't trust him. I'm not trying to say Gostkowski is as clutch as AV - nobody is - but I think people are confusing being nervous about having to count on a kicker for a winning FG and being nervous about Gostkowski specifically.

Who would you prefer to have playing Sunday? Gostkowski ranks 7th all-time in NFL history for FG accuracy at over 84%. His kickoffs regularly go for touchbacks. Just because a kickoff once went out of bounds or you can remember him missing a FG that doesn't mean you should lack confidence in him. Do you lack confidence in Brady because you can remember him throwing an interception? Do you lack confidence in Welker because he dropped a pass in the last game?

If you need reassurance, read that article and see if that doesn't help.
  9. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -13

#12 Jersey

BB going on it on 4th and long the last time we were in this position showed that BB didn't have confidence in Gostowski at that time.

Hopefully the situation is different now.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  10. ahmed

ahmed Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have absolute confidence in him... I also have absolute confidence that the game won't be close so this is a mute point.
  11. Bonzo

Bonzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

I originally read the thread title as "Gronkowski confidence meter", and was going to respond "100%"

That said, I feel the exact same way about Gostkowski.
  12. patsfan06

patsfan06 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

0 confidence.

Guy is a mediocre kicker.
  13. BaltimorePatsFan

BaltimorePatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Vinatieri is still going strong, by the way. Just sayin'.

Sure he wanted a lot of money, but Gostkowski also cost the Pats a hefty price of a fourth round draft choice. Could've drafted Elvis Dumervil with that pick.
  14. GronkesFiesta

GronkesFiesta Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He's going to channel his inner Vinatieri :D. I have faith in him.
  15. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +59 / 2 / -0

That was his rookie season if I'm not mistaken. At the time it did seem like he had hit a wall.

Reports at the time said that he wasn't hitting the long ones in practice before the game.

I think it was well understood why BB might not have had the most confidence in him.

Still at 4th and 13 I think I would have gone for the FG myself as I'd think I'd have a better chance at that than converting.
  16. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -5

I thought I would respond to this ****, but I realized it'd be better for my blood pressure to just tell you to go root for the Ravens or JEST or whoever it is you really root for.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  17. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It was actually his 2nd season. His rookie year he had a very good playoffs.

In 2007 he was shaky. He had missed a chip shot against Jacksonville and on his previous journey onto the field had shanked the kick-off Billy Cundiff style. BB rightfully had zero confidence in him in that spot.
  18. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +647 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

Selective memory is a wonderful thing. Vinatieri had a wonderful streak of important kicks which forever blinds Patsfans to the fact that Gostkowski is easily one of the best field goal kickers in the league.

Plus, his leg strength is tops too. Everybody misses some important kicks sometimes. He consistently hits more than just about anyone.

You were all nervous the couple of huge kicks Vinatieri made too. Have a shot of whiskey and relax, I wouldn't trade him for any kicker now. they all make some and miss some, most miss a fair amount.
  19. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +108 / 4 / -0

What the h%ll do we know? In 2007, he could have had a leg injury that was causing him to miss kicks he's normally made. Perhaps during warm ups for the SB he had a cramp and the coaches took the long FG off the board. Maybe he had a stomach bug and was weak that day. We have a huge information deficit when analyzing cause and effect here.
  20. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jackie MacMullan has an article on Gostkowski, including a comparison to Vinatieri.

2012 Super Bowl -- New England Patriots' Stephen Gostkowski untested in clutch, but ready to be difference-maker - BSPN Boston

MacMullan brings up the out-of-bounds kickoff as the reason Belichick decided to go for it on 4th and 13 rather than attempt a 48 yard field goal four years ago, but I can't think of any other time in his career when BB didn't seem to have confidence in him.

There is also this, which reminded me of the forgotten hand-wringing here first when Lonnie Paxton departed, then when Jake Ingram was released, and then again when Matt Katula was let go. It's as if fans not knowing your name means you're doing a good job if you're the long snapper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.