PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats K Stephen Gostkowski confidence meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, considering I posted in a another thread that Nancy Gay of Fox Sports reports that mythical medical experts said that Gronk has a serious high ankle sprain and should have surgery and be sidelined for several months; I guess my confidence is shot. :rolleyes:

Well, considering I posted in a another thread that Nancy Gay of Fox Sports reports that mythical medical experts said that Gronk has a serious high ankle sprain and should have surgery and be sidelined for several months; I guess my confidence is shot. :rolleyes:

But this is GOSTkowski confidence meter.

Newsflash: Gronkowski and Gostkowski are poles apart

But this is GOSTkowski confidence meter.

Duh! I saw the G and the ski and I just thought it was a confidence meter on how he could play.

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men "Don't I feel like the %$@&ing arsehole."

Gronk/Gost confusion reminds me of a funny story. Way back in the 80s I'm Director of Engineering. QA manager is Eddie Wang. Funny guy and good buddy. Came to US from HK in the 60s. Tells me his first days in America he ends up in some southern college where everybody wears white chinos and has blond hair, etc. Said it took him 2 weeks before he could tell his roommate from all the other guys. Everyone looked alike to him.

So the next day Eddie's eating lunch with 2 other asian guys. I walk up looking confused and say, "Which one of you is Eddie Wang?"

Duh! I saw the G and the ski and I just thought it was a confidence meter on how he could play.

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men "Don't I feel like the %$@&ing arsehole."

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing at first. I was so confused about the replies that said "zero, he's mediocre" that I went back and looked more closely at the thread title.

I'm Polish too so I love all these Polish surnames on the team.

It doesn't matter what my confidence meter is. All that matters is BB's confidence meter so he doesn't go for it on, say, 4th and 16 and either decided to kick a long FG or punt.

I just get bad vibes. Of course no one can compare to the security blanket that was AV. Even after he missed the first two in SB 38, I had no doubt that he would nail the game winner. Gostkowski is the opposite. I am confident that he will nail everything in the first quarter, but I have my doubts about the 4th quarter.

I'll take actual field performance over your bad vibes.

Ghost's playoff FG % is 10 points better than Vinatieri's - 86.7% to 76.5%.

Has a stronger leg than Vinny ever had and has had a better first 5 complete seasons.

The only pressure kick I remember from Vinatieri's first 5 seasons was a clank off the post in Kansas City to lose a regular season game.

Last edited:
Even further, Gostkowski's career regular season is 84.4% to Vinatieri's 82.9%.

So aside from being more accurate than Vinatieri in his career regular season, Ghost ramps up in the playoffs higher than regular season (from 84.4% to 86.7%) versus Vinny declining in the playoffs from the regular season (82.9% to 76.5%).

Ghost wins on all counts. He just has yet to have the marquee opportunity.

Last edited:
I don't think he will miss one with the game on the line. If he misses one at all I would think it would be earlier in the game and I don't think he will do that either. If it gets down to a field goal to win it, I think he will come through.

I think Special Teams play will favor the Pats and I don't get where this stuff about Teams being yet another place where the "mighty" Giants are better is coming from.

I know this thread is about Ghost but I every article I read out of NY gives the Giants the edge in Special Teams.

These are what I believe to be relevant kicking game/special teams statistics. I may be missing something but I don't see how this translates into an advantage for the Giants.

Stephen Gostkowski: 28-of-33 on field goal attempts (85 percent)
Lawrence Tynes: 19-of-24 on field goal attempts (79 percent)

Punt Average
Zoltan Mesko: 46.5 yards per punt (11th)
Steve Weatherford: 45.7 yards per punt (15th)

Net Punt Average

Zoltan Mesko: 41.5 yards per punt (third)
Steve Weatherford: 39.2 yards per punt (tied-14th)

Offense Average Starting Field Position

Patriots: 28.9 yard-line (ninth)
Giants: 25.9 yard-line (29th)

Defense Average Starting Field Position

Patriots: 24.0 yard-line (second)
Giants: 28.5 yard-line (19th)

If the Pats hold advantages in Field Goal %, Average Punt Yardage and Average Net Punting Yardage, start their offense from a better spot on the field and hold their opponents to starting from farther away from the end zone how the heck does that translate into a Special Teams advantage for the Giants?

If the Pats hold advantages in Field Goal %, Average Punt Yardage and Average Net Punting Yardage, start their offense from a better spot on the field and hold their opponents to starting from farther away from the end zone how the heck does that translate into a Special Teams advantage for the Giants?

The Giants forced SF's PR into those two errors, don't ya know? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back