PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats interested in Clinton Portis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Portis is actually my favorite RB in NFL but i rather see him get more carries than 50-50 with Maroney. I doubt we bring him in..

1. Big contract
2. Top 5 back
3. We have our starter already
4. We want someone who will settle with 8-10 carries per game

Itd be huge if we did but wouldnt make much sense.

Can he pick up the blitz?

We can always count on you to jump all over that fantasy league player, cant we.

It's pretty common sense that Portis is a little better than Corey Dillon at this point of their carreers. Any moron could indentify that. And, Portis is 25 years old, Dillon is 32. It's not just fantasy, it's common sense.

Maroney/Portis or Portis/Maroney would be TIGHTEST backfield in the NFL. However, I don't think the Pats will bring in Portis for a few reasons. First, Maroney is just too TIGHT and ready to pull a Frank Gore in his second season. Second, Portis has a big contract and the Pats would have to give up a #2 or higher which isn't worth it because of the need at LB. Lastly, Portis has this thing with the #26, which looks TIGHT on him but he was willing to fight that safety for the rights to that number that was already owned. The safety ended up getting cut. Watch out Eugene if Portis comes to the Pats.

Portis is an awesome RB. It's amazing how much he's being downplayed in this thread. Dillon over Portis? lol

We can always count on you to jump all over that fantasy league player, cant we.

Um...If Portis took the same role as Dillon?

I would agree with ARCHIVES and say hell yes to Portis.

Living in the DC area, I got to see Portis doing his characters in self-called press conferences in the local news. Downside: the little web write-up was funnier than he was actually clowning around. Upside: sure, he was acting like an ass, but most of it was totally good natured. Not like he's getting brought up on gun charges or whatever the flavor of the day is for NFLonies.

Now, some of his stuff was mildly satirical of the coaching staff. I'd hate to see that come to NE, as it could be just a bit disruptive, regardless of whether it's meant to be "all in good fun."

As for getting to pick him up for just the salary portion of his deal for a couple of years - if it's doable, how do you argue your case against it? He's a goof, not a cancer. You do the usual due diligence, of course... but yeah, letting the Skins give him the heavy money and picking him up for salary only sounds okay in my book.

PFnV

Um...If Portis took the same role as Dillon?

I would agree with ARCHIVES and say hell yes to Portis.

I've already said that if Portis was willing....
But I dont think he will.

I've already said that if Portis was willing....
But I dont think he will.

Sorry, didnt go back and read the thread.

But the answer is no he wont be happy with split carries. I can pretty much guarantee it.

Sorry, didnt go back and read the thread.

But the answer is no he wont be happy with split carries. I can pretty much guarantee it.

Winning helps overlook many issues. SB rings help even more. He is already used to splitting carries with Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright. The major difference is that he would be on a winning team. IMO he would sacrifice that without an issue.

Winning helps overlook many issues. SB rings help even more. He is already used to splitting carries with Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright. The major difference is that he would be on a winning team. IMO he would sacrifice that without an issue.

Portis had averaged 22 carries per game over a course of two seasons in Washington before getting terribly injured last season.

Dillon last year with Maroney averaged 12.

Ten carries per game average might bother a RB who thinks he should start outright.

draftdaddy is run by a Jet fan, so why would he blog Portis to NE when it clearly makes the Pats better? Maybe because its true?

draftdaddy is run by a Jet fan, so why would he blog Portis to NE when it clearly makes the Pats better? Maybe because its true?

who knows where these rumors get started. Draftdaddy would blog it if he heard the rumor. just cause he doesn't want it to happen doesn't mean it has to be true.

I like to watch Portis play, but for some reason I don't see him as a Patriots type player. Even with that being said, I would like to see him in a Pats uni considering that Dillon is likely out of town.

I would love to see the Pats continue with two quality backs splitting time.

It would be pretty stupid to not blog about ceratin teams. Then no one would visit your site.

We already have our Lightning; I'm looking for our new Thunder. Having two Lightnings would be nice, too. But we need our new Thunder, first.

We already have our Lightning; I'm looking for our new Thunder. Having two Lightnings would be nice, too. But we need our new Thunder, first.

who cares what type of runner portis is
ppl get too hung up on this
the biggest thing is it would give us two great talents at rb
and thats all that matters
i dont see it happening
but i would frikkin love it and would piss my pants the day it happened

who cares what type of runner portis is
ppl get too hung up on this
the biggest thing is it would give us two great talents at rb
and thats all that matters
i dont see it happening
but i would frikkin love it and would piss my pants the day it happened

On top of what you say, I also think that maroney has more than adequate power. he is no corey dillon but who is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results