PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats interested in Clinton Portis

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOWAKJOE

On the Roster
Reaction score
According to a article in Draft Daddy, under Draft Blog update. Several teams including both New teams and the Pats are interested in Portis. What do you think it would take to get him? Also says the Pats and Jets like Jarvis Moss DE/OLB from Florida.

According to a article in Draft Daddy, under Draft Blog update. Several teams including both New teams and the Pats are interested in Portis. What do you think it would take to get him? Also says the Pats and Jets like Jarvis Moss DE/OLB from Florida.

Source? Link plz.

Regarding Portis, they use the word "dump" so I get the impression he'd come cheap enough, nothing close to a #1. My preference would be for Maroney to be a 20+ carry stud but, at a reasonable price, whatever it takes to have a strong running game is fine.

Also not that Portis was best in Denver's zone blocking scheme that many think Maroney would be best in.

Why wouldnt they be?Portis is a quality back,some injury problems,nothing major I 've heard of.I'm sure the Jets would love to get him.That would make them a serious threat ,IMHO.

New Orleans likes Mike Merriweather, free safety from "the U". I think Merriweather merits a top 20 pick, but he could fall like LenDale White did, as his off-field stuff is going to hurt him big time with the movement in the league towards "character" players!

After reading that paragraph how much legitamacy do you put on this guy?

That being said I would LOVE Portis in a Pats uni...and I wouldn't mind seeing Chris Henry either.

After reading that paragraph how much legitamacy do you put on this guy?

That being said I would LOVE Portis in a Pats uni...and I wouldn't mind seeing Chris Henry either.

If we ever acquire Chris Henry i will never be a Patriots fan again.

That guy is the epitome of ****.

What about the Portis contract? He signed an 8 year 50 Mil contract with the Skins. IIRC, money was the underlying factor in his trade out of Denver.

What about the Portis contract? He signed an 8 year 50 Mil contract with the Skins. IIRC, money was the underlying factor in his trade out of Denver.

His cap number for 2007 would be 7.09 million.

His demands may be too rich for this club, unless he is cut from Washington and wants to come here reasonably. But is he is let go, some team out there will give him close to what he wants.

His demands may be too rich for this club, unless he is cut from Washington and wants to come here reasonably. But is he is let go, some team out there will give him close to what he wants.

Its Clinton Portis.

Someone values the name more than the actual cap number they'd be willing to put up.

Some team will say look its Clinton Portis and pay a ridiculous cap number and SB.

That team is not us.

Perhaps we can give him whatever Dillon would be making.

Its Clinton Portis.

Someone values the name more than the actual cap number they'd be willing to put up.

Some team will say look its Clinton Portis and pay a ridiculous cap number and SB.

That team is not us.

His cap number for this year is $3,500.000 and next year $5,000,000 if the Pats trade for him. You can get the figures on the NFLPA's website. That is because the Redskins would keep the bonus portion, since they actually paid it. And the Pats could cut him at any time without incurring any cap charge.

Sounds like one of the all-time bargains, cap-wise, to me. Not a ridiculous cap number.....to the Pats or any team trading for him, anyways.

Sometimes these things take actual analysis.

J D Sal

His cap number for 2007 would be 7.09 million.

Not for the Pats. It would strictly be his salary....the Redskins would keep the bonus. So his cap number to the Pats would be $3.5 million, his 2007 salary. You can confirm on the NFLPA's website that is his salary.

His cap number for this year is $3,500.000 and next year $5,000,000 if the Pats trade for him. You can get the figures on the NFLPA's website. That is because the Redskins would keep the bonus portion, since they actually paid it. And the Pats could cut him at any time without incurring any cap charge.

Sounds like one of the all-time bargains, cap-wise, to me. Not a ridiculous cap number.....to the Pats or any team trading for him, anyways.

Sometimes these things take actual analysis.

J D Sal

Your right.

I was including the SB with his current cap number to get 7.09 million next year.

Didn't remember that the team that trades you has to still pay the SB portion.

Good catch. So he may come relatively cheap.

Could anyone seriously envision both Maroney and Portis co-existing in the same backfield?

Portis would have to be cheap enough and that's not going to happen. I'd rather have a bruiser back like Bettis/Dillion anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes