PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Extend Mayo Through 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The increase in cap room is NOT good news for the patriots. The more severe the restrictions on teams (including cap), the more advantage the patriots have compared to other teams.
I see your point. Well managed teams will always do better when conditions are tight. But I think for the most part, teams now do a much better job controlling their cap situation.

The 2014 cap bonanza might actually help a team like the Pats who are always within 5-8MM of the cap limit more than teams who are perpetually over 20MM unswe. Overpaying is still overpaying and the fact remains that very few "impact" FAs are ever worth the dollars they are paid, even when they aren't busts.

While some teams will use the Bonanza to make headlines and sign a single"star". The Pats will likely use the money to reward a larger number of the "middle class" and keep a strong corps strong over time.

And why is that?

Because it's the teams that have been more 'aggressive' with money that are helped by big jumps in cap numbers. Not to get too far into it, but this is something that's been happening since 2006, which has been a large part of why the Roman Pfifers of the NFL have been so much more difficult to find in the past 6 years or so. True cap casualties have become almost nonexistent.

Because it's the teams that have been more 'aggressive' with money that are helped by big jumps in cap numbers. Not to get too far into it, but this is something that's been happening since 2006, which has been a large part of why the Roman Pfifers of the NFL have been so much more difficult to find in the past 6 years or so. True cap casualties have become almost nonexistent.

True but the cap is the same for everybody. I don't see an advantage/disadvantage in it for anyone. How you manage the cap is up to the team.

You look at the top teams from the last decade...Patriots,Colts,Steelers.
I wouldn't say any of those teams were overly aggressive with their cap. Patriots draft and looked for veteran FA for cheap that could contribute. Steelers/Colts mostly worked on retaining their own players. I really can't think of a big FA singing they've made.

And look the Packers right now...they hit on Rodgers and surrounded him with talent through the draft.

Then you have the Eagles,Redskins.

I do agree with your Phfifer point though...teams will be able to keep a hold of their talent which makes the draft ever more important.

But... But.. But.. the Pats don't treat their best players right.. There is no way they could lock Mayo up.. :rolleyes:

Good to hear..

This is very good news indeed, but it has no effect on the team until 2013.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Welker, Green-Ellis, Carter, Anderson, Connolly, White and Slater. The contracts of all of these folks end THIS contract year.

I'll be honest. I think that Green-Ellis is gonna walk because of O'Brien and the horrible play calling when it comes to the running game..

I see Carter, Anderson, Welker, White and Slater being re-signed. Also, Welker isn't going anywhere thanks to the Franchise tag.

Mayo locked up for next 5 years

What? I didn't even know he was charged with a crime. And now there is a thread saying his locked up for 5 years. Geez. You had me worried. And folks complain about my headlines.

What? I didn't even know he was charged with a crime. And now there is a thread saying his locked up for 5 years. Geez. You had me worried. And folks complain about my headlines.

Indecent exposure of the defensive unit.

Barrett and Brown were found guilty. Barrett was banished to IR, Brown to special teams.

That was what Josh Barrett and Sergrio Brown were charged with.. Not Mayo...

Last edited:
works for me

QUOTE=DaBruinz;2845788]I'll be honest. I think that Green-Ellis is gonna walk because of O'Brien and the horrible play calling when it comes to the running game..

I see Carter, Anderson, Welker, White and Slater being re-signed. Also, Welker isn't going anywhere thanks to the Franchise tag.[/QUOTE]

I'd heard the news already and even I did a double take!

But obviously this is good news - and hopefully not too much of a gamble for the Patriots given Mayo's injury.

I'd guess there'd be bit of an "injured player discount" at play here too - Mayo gets some long term security by extending - the Patriots get a great deal if he's healthy and productive, and perhaps as a result Mayo can better leave it all on the field - especially coming off an injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strngplyr
Have to imagine between 7-8m per year.

More 4-5m per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomk1
Had to be done. I wonder how much he is gonna get.

Harris got 4 years and 36 mill so somewhere around that area?

You'd assume it would be in that range.

I think the amount will be interesting.

Not sure whether this poster is suggesting "more $4-5mm" or "assuming in the range Harris got" - which is $9mm a year.

I would raise an eyebrow at $9mm, be delighted at $5mm average, but expect $7 or so.

That was what Josh Barrett and Sergrio Brown were charged with.. Not Mayo...

Mayo was guilty by association, appealing his charges though. Should be a winnable case.

Mayo is more of a "name" and will command more cash : but I'm with the posters suggesting Slater, Carter, Conelly resign. Obviously WW is a key piece as well, a potentially expensive piece.

Not as in love with BJGE as some on here seem to be. Good solid runner who doesn't fumble. Handy but not the main reason the Patriots are winning.

Cool. Now we need to find a CB.

Cool. Now we need to find a CB.

There are some talented free agent CB's hitting the market next year...but you know BB probably won't bite.

This is a fantastic move. Next, we need to put a starting caliber OLB (not knocking Nink, but I would like someone more athletic back there. I see him more as a back-up) next to him and Spikes and find a long term solution at DE.

PFT did NOT get it wrong. Mayo's is contracted until late February 2013. Did they need to include the month? Perhaps they could have said "through the 2012 season", but I don't think that it should have been necessary.

I would say that "Welker is signed until 2012".

I am glad that you reminded us all that contracts expire after the season and playoffs are over in January/February, but that they are still under contract for the next few weeks until free agency starts in February.

That will be good information in case anyone ever wants to know who's under contract when assessing their golf game for the next few weeks until the league year "technically starts."

When people think of contracts, they think of Welker being signed thru 2011...not "February 2012" as you say.

When people think of Mayo, they thought of him signed thru 2012, not "February 2013."

If this is how you assess contract length, you are in a very, very, very small minority.

That would be the same as referring to the 2007 season's super bowl, as the 2008 Super bowl, since "technically" is was played in February of 2008.

And to answer your question....YES, I think if they had included the month, that would have been very helpful information. I think that is more than obvious.

None of that matters anyway, the good thing is that Mayo was extended.

Last edited:
I'll be honest. I think that Green-Ellis is gonna walk because of O'Brien and the horrible play calling when it comes to the running game..

I highly doubt BJGE is walking because of his dissatisfaction with the playcalling. He will walk because the team drafted Ridley and Vereen to get the carries in 2012 and BJGE's longest run is 18 yards this year. The team needs more playmaking out of the running game and one that is respected schematically by defenses.

Woodhead should return with Faulk highly unlikely to return. Maybe BJGE does. Who knows. Could be a case that if BB sees a good deal for a B+ RB, he'll take it.

I see Carter, Anderson, Welker, White and Slater being re-signed. Also, Welker isn't going anywhere thanks to the Franchise tag.

All of the players you mention are important pieces but obviously Welker is the #1 priority. With that said I think there is no way the team will break the bank for come TC in Aug a 31 year old WR. I think a 3 year deal is realistic. No idea on $$$. Maybe something close to what Randy got in 08 plus inflation might be reasonable. Welker knows he has a good thing here catching passes from the GoAT. To go somewhere else just for a few more $$ doesn't seem like something he would do. Stranger things have happened though....

Nevertheless, I'm pleased with the Mayo signing. He may not be Willis-elite but hes solid and will continue to get better. My hope is that the trend continues whereas the team is making investments in the defense- specifically at OLB, DE and safety...heck, just about everywhere.:D

Last edited:
I highly doubt BJGE is walking because of his dissatisfaction with the playcalling. He will walk because the team drafted Ridley and Vereen to get the carries in 2012 and BJGE's longest run is 18 yards this year. The team needs more playmaking out of the running game and one that is respected schematically by defenses.

Seems as though BJGE has not fully recovered from his toe injury, assumed to be a "Turf Toe"... he still gets the "tough" yards near the goal line.

He is incredibly sure handed..

Suspect that this team will use a complimentary back system in the future, with Vereen and Ridley assuming more of a role next year.. Faulk will probably retire and Woodhead is all purpose insurance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST