PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Extend Mayo Through 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt BJGE is walking because of his dissatisfaction with the playcalling. He will walk because the team drafted Ridley and Vereen to get the carries in 2012 and BJGE's longest run is 18 yards this year. The team needs more playmaking out of the running game and one that is respected schematically by defenses.

Woodhead should return but BJGE and Faulk are highly unlikely to return. Could be a case that if BB sees a good deal for a B+ RB, he'll take it.

All of the players you mention are important pieces but obviously Welker is the #1 priority. With that said I think there is no way the team will break the bank for come TC in Aug a 31 year old WR. I think a 3 year deal is realistic. No idea on $$$. Maybe something close to what Randy got in 08 plus inflation might be reasonable. Welker knows he has a good thing here catching passes from the GoAT. To go somewhere else just for a few more $$ doesn't seem like something he would do. Stranger things have happened though....

The fact that the tag is in play makes getting a Welker deal less of a priority. For both sides. A deal would save the team against the cap, but if it's a 3 year $9M per deal it won't save much. I've heard a few rumbles that the sides were indeed talking but remain well apart on a long term deal. I would assume Welker (and his reps) wants a 4-5 year deal (which still only makes him 34-35 or almost Chad's age at the backend of a deal that would certainly be salary only. And by then the cap will have risen dramatically since the new TV deals kick in in 2014. But either way he's going to make half as much next season as he did in the last 5 years here so I doubt he's fretting. The WR tag is down a bit under the new formula, but it's still estimated at $9.4M.

It's hard to gauge how he will wear over the next 3-5 seasons, but with the exception of the knee, which only cost him a game (albeit a very significant one in post season) he's been the definition of durable not to mention consistently productive. And the poster boy along with his QB for the mentally and physically tough mantra. I think they should gamble on him remaining just that and send a message to the youngsters in that locker room that those are the kind of players they reward. If they tag him in back to back seasons it's going to cost them probably just about what he wants in guaranteed money on a 4-5 year deal anyway ($18-20 of $30-36M).

I know Bill seems enamored with the Wally Pipp to Lou Gherig analogy, but frankly I think he's dreamin... And somehow I don't think he'd be experimenting with Julian Gherig as a slot corner if he was planning on Wally Welker leaving any time soon.

Seems as though BJGE has not fully recovered from his toe injury, assumed to be a "Turf Toe"... he still gets the "tough" yards near the goal line.

He is incredibly sure handed.

Suspect that this team will use a complimentary back system in the future, with Vereen and Ridley assuming more of a role next year.. Faulk will probably retire and Woodhead is all purpose insurance...

I certainly do not want my post to be construed as an indictment on BJGE. Great teammate. Hes productive and I hope he stays. But he has shortcomings in his game that I think hurt the team moving froward

No question he was not 100% this year. With that said, his longest run last year was 33yds so it's not like with a healthy toe he'll be better at making guys miss and getting to that 2nd level more frequently. As Brady gets older, I REALLY think the Pats need that. someone that can force defenses to crowd the LoC and cool the pass rush.

I'm ok with BJGE him getting a couple carries a game but not the 12 he is averaging this year nor the 14 he did last year. In 2012 I want 30 carries to be split b/t/w Ridley and Vereen with again someone like a 2007 Sammy Morris picked up along the way.

The fact that the tag is in play makes getting a Welker deal less of a priority. For both sides. A deal would save the team against the cap, but if it's a 3 year $9M per deal it won't save much. I've heard a few rumbles that the sides were indeed talking but remain well apart on a long term deal. I would assume Welker (and his reps) wants a 4-5 year deal (which still only makes him 34-35 or almost Chad's age at the backend of a deal that would certainly be salary only. And by then the cap will have risen dramatically since the new TV deals kick in in 2014. But either way he's going to make half as much next season as he did in the last 5 years here so I doubt he's fretting. The WR tag is down a bit under the new formula, but it's still estimated at $9.4M.

It's hard to gauge how he will wear over the next 3-5 seasons, but with the exception of the knee, which only cost him a game (albeit a very significant one in post season) he's been the definition of durable not to mention consistently productive. And the poster boy along with his QB for the mentally and physically tough mantra. I think they should gamble on him remaining just that and send a message to the youngsters in that locker room that those are the kind of players they reward. If they tag him in back to back seasons it's going to cost them probably just about what he wants in guaranteed money on a 4-5 year deal anyway ($18-20 of $30-36M).

I know Bill seems enamored with the Wally Pipp to Lou Gherig analogy, but frankly I think he's dreamin... And somehow I don't think he'd be experimenting with Julian Gherig as a slot corner if he was planning on Wally Welker leaving any time soon.

Whatever WW gets for contract from the Pats. I'm sure it'll be in line and one that WW is deserving of.

What is concerning to me is that as of right now the only pass catchers under contract for 2012 (I think) are Gronk, AH, JE and Ocho. As you say, if WW is franchised that would be a good thing. Not sure what Branch will do if the Pats offer him a meager offer. Wouldn't be surprised if BB makes an ultimatum to Ocho. Take a pay cut or get cut.

Whatever WW gets for contract from the Pats. I'm sure it'll be in line and one that WW is deserving of.

What is concerning to me is that as of right now the only pass catchers under contract for 2012 (I think) are Gronk, AH, JE and Ocho. As you say, if WW is franchised that would be a good thing. Not sure what Branch will do if the Pats offer him a meager offer. Wouldn't be surprised if BB makes an ultimatum to Ocho. Take a pay cut or get cut.

Ocho should offer to pay them for a roster spot. I don't think Branch is going anywhere. Here he can agree to a heavily incentivized deal and have a shot at making some of them. He's seen the grass on the other side, and it's seen him on it.

Sadly the time for Welker's team friendly early Mayo deal got derailed somewhere between the injury and the lockout. Now he will cost them more for whatever they decide the duration is. Still think he's a much lower risk/higher reward veteran FA gamble than Ocho or whatever comes after him... He's a better bet than Moss was because of his consistent toughness trackrecord. A lot of speculation that if Wayne has had it with Polian and they don't franchise him (which they may do if Manning is expected back) Bill would target him. But there is no way to know if he can transition after an entire career playing in an offense where you don't have to see what the QB sees post snap, you just have to go where he told you to at the snap. It's kind of unfortunate Washington is still holding JAB hostage on the last year of that Denver deal BB should have matched. And most of the available FA younger talent on the market screams diva, and that just won't translate here.

That was specifically with respect to punt return duties, not as a WR.

Problem, though, is that you can't renegotiate a contract for 12 months, and the Pats already did that this year after trading for him.

That's great news. Glad to hear that he's "Locked up" in a good way.

Unfortunately, I first saw this thread after I read about Hurd's arrest for cocaine distribution in Chicago and my reaction, was "Oh, no, I thought Mayo was one of the really good guys." :)

Sign of our times, I guess, or maybe I'm just too cynical anymore.

Problem, though, is that you can't renegotiate a contract for 12 months, and the Pats already did that this year after trading for him.

That was in August. His remaining money is all unguaranteed salary, so they can sayonara him come TC (or any time prior for that matter) unless he agree to a restructure before the bullits start flying for the 2012 season...

How many years of high productivity do you guys think Welker has left? I know he deserves to get paid but I'd suggest that perhaps he's already given us his best years.

I certainly do not want my post to be construed as an indictment on BJGE. Great teammate. Hes productive and I hope he stays. But he has shortcomings in his game that I think hurt the team moving froward

No question he was not 100% this year. With that said, his longest run last year was 33yds so it's not like with a healthy toe he'll be better at making guys miss and getting to that 2nd level more frequently. As Brady gets older, I REALLY think the Pats need that. someone that can force defenses to crowd the LoC and cool the pass rush.

I'm ok with BJGE him getting a couple carries a game but not the 12 he is averaging this year nor the 14 he did last year. In 2012 I want 30 carries to be split b/t/w Ridley and Vereen with again someone like a 2007 Sammy Morris picked up along the way.

Perhaps am a tad too concrete, but much rather have a reliable known than unknown quantities...

BJGE also brings a lot of intangibles to the table, and maybe more valuable to this team than another team(which often seems to be the issue for many of our former players who moved on)....

Now getting some numbers in on it.

Follow-up on Mayo's extension - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

By Mike Reiss

DENVER -- Here are a few more details on linebacker Jerod Mayo's contract extension with the Patriots, which is through 2017.

The five new years of the deal, from 2013-2017, have a total value of $48.5 million, according to a league source. Mayo will receive $25 million in bonuses/guarantees as part of the extension.

Last edited:
There's got to be a better way to write that thread title. As many times as i check in, I still wonder what Patriot committed such a heinous crime to have been sentenced to 5 years.

There's got to be a better way to write that thread title. As many times as i check in, I still wonder what Patriot committed such a heinous crime to have been sentenced to 5 years.

Ha, excellent point, Ray!

Done.

Pats don't pay their own, Kraft is cheap. Blah blah blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST