PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats extend Ja'Whaun Bentley, two years, $18.75 Million

Cherry picking.

You're also attributing a failure of offense to our defense.

Learn how averages work... and football.
The same offense played in all 17 games, unless you think Mahomes jumped behind center in half their games?

The same offense played in all 17 games, unless you think Mahomes jumped behind center in half their games?
The Patriots gave up the 3rd fewest points per drive and forced the 2nd most turnovers in 2022 despite having one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

I know that's an uncomfortable truth for you.

Stop making yourself look foolish by flaunting your ignorance.

The Patriots gave up the 3rd fewest points per drive and forced the 2nd most turnovers in 2022 despite having one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

I know that's an uncomfortable truth for you.

Stop making yourself look foolish by flaunting your ignorance.
This is coming from a guy telling me the 11 game sample doesnt matter because of 2 quarters against Burrow. You talk in circles and make up things you want to hear. If you like the way the Patriots have defended buffalo for 2 years for example, then we will simply have to disagree

This is coming from a guy telling me the 11 game sample doesnt matter because of 2 quarters against Burrow. You talk in circles and make up things you want to hear. If you like the way the Patriots have defended buffalo for 2 years for example, then we will simply have to disagree
I never said sht about two quarters. The 22 points the Bengals scored that day was the 4th lowest scoring total of their entire regular season, the Pat's D forced the second most turnovers on the season for the Bengals... Joe Burrow was the best QB they faced all season.

As a team the Patriots allowed thirty points just five times in 2022, in four of those games our offense turned the ball over 4, 4, 3, and 1 time. So season high in turnovers by our offense in three of those games... to those cherry picked QB's you insist are magical.

The third most points the Patriots allowed was to Justin Fields, and he was one of the worst starting QB's in the NFL last year... of course it was raining and a messy game, but that doesn't really factor into your cherry picking does it.

Last year the Patriots were a top 3 defense in the NFL... fact.

You suggesting otherwise just makes you look foolish.

Bentley has led this team in tackles the last two years in a row... on one of the best defenses in the NFL.

They pay them well, but nowhere near top of the market, they also get value back in snaps played... these guys play a lot on one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Here is the Pat's rushing defense ranks last season: 6th best in total rushing yards allowed, 4th best in fewest yards per attempt, #1 in the NFL in fewest rushing TD's allowed.

They were arguably the best rushing defense in the NFL, top three at worst. They're bringing back the same exact unit with Keion White, Marte Mapu added, a healthy Barmore and a functional offense. Short of injuries... how are they more susceptible to the run now?

They were exceptional last year... they gave up the third fewest points in the entire NFL... they got it done.
The problems the Pats had last year were mostly with the offense. It was anemic.
Next in line for criticism is the STs play.
The defense was the best part of the team.

I never said sht about two quarters. The 22 points the Bengals scored that day was the 4th lowest scoring total of their entire regular season, the Pat's D forced the second most turnovers on the season for the Bengals... Joe Burrow was the best QB they faced all season.
Yes, its been your entire defense as to how the Patriots havent struggled against good qbs since the start of 2021.
As a team the Patriots allowed thirty points just five times in 2022, in four of those games our offense turned the ball over 4, 4, 3, and 1 time. So season high in turnovers by our offense in three of those games... to those cherry picked QB's you insist are magical.

The third most points the Patriots allowed was to Justin Fields, and he was one of the worst starting QB's in the NFL last year... of course it was raining and a messy game, but that doesn't really factor into your cherry picking does it.

Last year the Patriots were a top 3 defense in the NFL... fact.

You suggesting otherwise just makes you look foolish.
Overall they had a great defense, which struggled against the better qbs. That is simply fact, doesnt mean theyre bad

Yes, its been your entire defense as to how the Patriots havent struggled against good qbs since the start of 2021.

Overall they had a great defense, which struggled against the better qbs. That is simply fact, doesnt mean theyre bad
Every defense in the league struggles against better offenses... how is that a Patriot problem?

It also doesn't change the fact they were a top 3 defense, or if their offense wasn't bottom of the league the defense would have been even better.

Also stop conflating 2021 and 2022, you look foolish now you're trying to muddy the waters.

Every defense in the league struggles against better offenses... how is that a Patriot problem?
How many teams are 14 points worse?
It also doesn't change the fact they were a top 3 defense, or if their offense wasn't bottom of the league the defense would have been even better.

Also stop conflating 2021 and 2022, you look foolish now you're trying to muddy the waters.
I never said they werent a good defense, or told you that your ranking was a lie. Not trying to muddy anything, theyve lost to good competition for 2 years, factually. I gave you the stats a while back for both years.

How many teams are 14 points worse?
WTF are you talking about?

Nobody else on the planet cherry picked those exact games you decided were relevant and decided were special. Nobody is living in this fantasy world where giving up the 3rd fewest points and forcing the 2nd most turnovers in the entire NFL is bad.

WTF are you talking about?
In the 7 games I gave you, which everybody would agree were the 7 best qbs on the schedule, vs the 10 other games...They gave up 28ppg vs 14ppg. I agree theyd be worse naturally, that much worse with absolutely no thought about it?
Nobody else on the planet cherry picked those exact games you decided were relevant and decided were special. Nobody is living in this fantasy world where giving up the 3rd fewest points and forcing the 2nd most turnovers in the entire NFL is bad.
nobody said they were bad, just that theyve been good against the better teams on their schedule for 2 years. Not to worry, they dont have a tough schedule this year and they wont need to beat good teams en route to winning super bowls...so youre right, it is really a moot point

In the 7 games I gave you, which everybody would agree were the 7 best qbs on the schedule, vs the 10 other games...They gave up 28ppg vs 14ppg. I agree theyd be worse naturally, that much worse with absolutely no thought about it?
Hey genius... the 20 points given up to the Tua led Dolphins was one of the lowest point's scored totals of their season, despite having their best QB and playing at full strength.

What did our offense do that game? They scored 7 points and turned the ball over three times, our drive chart looked like this:

Interception
Punt
Fumble
Punt
End of Half
Touchdown
Punt
Downs
Fumble

All3Phases interpretation... the defense struggled.

giphy.gif

Hey genius... the 20 points given up to the Tua led Dolphins was one of the lowest point's scored totals of their season, despite having their best QB and playing at full strength.

What did our offense do that game? They scored 7 points and turned the ball over three times, our drive chart looked like this:

Interception
Punt
Fumble
Punt
End of Half
Touchdown
Punt
Downs
Fumble

All3Phases interpretation... the defense struggled.

giphy.gif
I didnt say they struggled in every game, I gave you a sample over the last 2 years and you didnt like it. Its ok to disagree, clearly you do

I didnt say they struggled in every game, I gave you a sample over the last 2 years and you didnt like it. Its ok to disagree, clearly you do
You're backpedaling and trying to include 2021 because last season's stats overwhelmingly make your stance look absurd... because it is.

Our offense and special teams were the problem, our defense was a strength.

You're backpedaling and trying to include 2021 because last season's stats overwhelmingly make your stance look absurd... because it is.

Our offense was the problem, our defense was a strength.
I included 2021 statistics multiple pages back. So, wrong. Both years tell the same thing, they struggle against better competition. They dominate everybody else and thats great, just that 2022 has a larger sample of good qbs on the schedule. I agree the offense is much more concerning and never denied that

I included 2021 statistics multiple pages back. So, wrong. Both years tell the same thing, they struggle against better competition. They dominate everybody else and thats great, just that 2022 has a larger sample of good qbs on the schedule. I agree the offense is much more concerning and never denied that
Every year you start over, it's a new year... you tried to include 2021 when it became clear your position was indefensible.

The 2022 Patriot's D held all your "best QB's they faced" to season lows in scoring.. except Cousins, a non conference/division opponent.

They did this despite having one of the worst offenses in the league.

I'll revert back to what I said to you pages ago... you have no clue about football or how complementary football works.

Change your user name... three phases are lost on you.

Is this a thread about the Bentley extension or a place for posters to debate who is the smarter/truer Patriots fan? Jesus

Every year you start over, it's a new year... you tried to include 2021 when it became clear your position was indefensible.

The 2022 Patriot's D held all your "best QB's they faced" to season lows in scoring.. except Cousins, a non conference/division opponent.

They did this despite having one of the worst offenses in the league.

I'll revert back to what I said to you pages ago... you have no clue about football or how complementary football works.

Change your user name... three phases are lost on you.
All 3 phases of football depend upon each other. When you have an offense as anemic as the Pats have had it puts much more pressure on the defense. Hopefully the D can still perform as they have but the offense needs to improve a whole lot.

I was surprised at this.

7. Bentley’s evolution: When trying to quantify linebacker Ja’Whaun Bentley’s value to the Patriots’ defense, which led to his recent two-year contract extension that includes $9 million guaranteed, consider that he ranks second among 89 linebackers with a 39.5% run stop win rate since 2018 (minimum 2,000 snaps played per ESPN analytics).

Ja'Whaun Bentley Career Coverage Snaps​

YEARSNAPS
Per ESPN Stats & Information

That was one of Bentley’s strengths as a prospect coming out of Purdue, while his production in coverage -- which had been viewed as a weakness -- has steadily evolved. According to NFL NextGen Stats, 55 linebackers were targeted 30-plus times in coverage last season and Bentley ranked eighth-best in allowing 5.4 yards per target.

We can always punch holes in number and I'm not surprised at the stats vs the run, however I still think Bentley is a below-average LB in coverage. At least statistically he not killing the defense by letting 5 yd passes turn into 30yd gains.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back