PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats extend Ja'Whaun Bentley, two years, $18.75 Million

hey have been poor against great qbs
I can say the patriots offense played great last year too by scoping down the criteria to any sub-set of statistics but it doesn't change the fact that measuring "good" versus "poor" done in a vacuum without ALL context is simply pushing a narrative.

The Patriots defense was not "poor" even in those games you mentioned. How many were straight blowouts where the Patriots had no chance to win and the opposing offense scored at will? How many had "offense/points" come from either the opposing defense or special teams? What were the average starting field positions? What were the average times of possession differential?

Context matters. Period. The Patriots had a good defense last year - it was the ONLY reason they won as many games as they did. Their offense and special teams...not so much.

12 game sample, maybe they just arent good then

Yes somehow they can perform well with a bad offense, until they dont...then you blame the offense. Go figure. Let me ask, is allowing an additional 14 ppg a lot?
Your not good at understanding football.

A complementary offense doesn't make a bad defense good, or vice versa... that you need this explained to you is telling... it's literally in the word "complementary."

The 2022 offense was an affront to the football gods, it was a train wreck, an abomination... you pretending otherwise to tell us the defense was poor only reinforces what an agenda driven troll you are.

I can say the patriots offense played great last year too by scoping down the criteria to any sub-set of statistics but it doesn't change the fact that measuring "good" versus "poor" done in a vacuum without ALL context is simply pushing a narrative.
I dont think you can
The Patriots defense was not "poor" even in those games you mentioned. How many were straight blowouts where the Patriots had no chance to win and the opposing offense scored at will? How many had "offense/points" come from either the opposing defense or special teams? What were the average starting field positions? What were the average times of possession differential?
They allowed 28 ppg in those games, over 100 qb rating and a 3/1 td int ratio
Context matters. Period. The Patriots had a good defense last year - it was the ONLY reason they won as many games as they did. Their offense and special teams...not so much.
I agree it was a good defense, do I think it was overrated based on the fact that beat up on awful competition for 2 years? Yep both can be true

Your not good at understanding football.

A complementary offense doesn't make a bad defense good, or vice versa... that you need this explained to you is telling... it's literally in the word "complementary."

The 2022 offense was an affront to the football gods, it was a train wreck, an abomination... you pretending otherwise to tell us the defense was poor only reinforces what an agenda driven troll you are.
Ive said the defense was overall very good, with a major flaw in that they havent proven to be good against elite qbs dating back 2 years. This is a fact, whether you hate the facts or not. You definitely hate them thats for sure

The offense was abysmal against the Jets and the colts, just like it was abysmal against the bills and the packers, and the other 10+ games. They allowed 14 additional ppg to the good qbs on the schedule vs the bad, regardless of how the offense played.

The offense was great against Minnesota and a good offense/qb and they got lit up, for example

Last edited:
Ive said the defense was overall very good, with a major flaw in that they havent proven to be good against elite qbs dating back 2 years. This is a fact, whether you hate the facts or not. You definitely hate them thats for sure

The offense was abysmal against the Jets and the colts, just like it was abysmal against the bills and the packers, and the other 10+ games. They allowed 14 additional ppg to the good qbs on the schedule vs the bad, regardless of how the offense played
The only flaw is not recognizing the NFL is such an offensive driven league now, offenses have such a massive advantage over defense due to little yellow flags… but fans like you still expect current defenses to look like great early 2000 defenses otherwise they’re not good.

Live in the now man.

The offense sucked balls… stop trying to get cute.
So are you vocal about our top three draft picks being on defense? Or are you content with our free agent pickups that play offense?

They’re a good defense that has not proven themselves against the better quarterbacks on their schedule for the last couple years.

Last year against Tua, Lamar, Rodgers, Allen, burrow and cousins

173/240 72% 270 ypg 18/6 td/int 104.5 rating

And the team was 0-7 in those games
That's the only question I have of the defense.. just that.. can they slow good QBs and WRs.. I'm not as concerned as I was previously.. on WRs having gonzo gives me some comfort I believe he can slow elite WRs.

But the best test of all is week 1.. training camp, preseason.. no body is game planning.. week 1 is what matters .

They held Joe Burrow’s Bengals to the 4th lowest scoring game of the 2022 season and intercepted him twice.

No defense in the league plays a top five QB every week, there are pushovers in every division.

You’re f-ing clueless… but you have boundless energy to post and think that’s the same thing as knowledge.
The Bengals had such a commanding lead at halftime they took their foot off the gas pedal.

It happens.

The Bengals had such a commanding lead at halftime they took their foot off the gas pedal.

It happens.
Chargers and Jags game last year comes to mind…teams get comfy when ahead and do just that. Can’t take foot off the gas…unless it’s the 4th and up by 21…even then I’d be wary.

Chargers and Jags game last year comes to mind…teams get comfy when ahead and do just that. Can’t take foot off the gas…unless it’s the 4th and up by 21…even then I’d be wary.
Brady led Pats teams did that a lot. Got quick leads, called it a day and thought the other team was going to quit.

Falcons in the Super Bowl went up 28-3 and then forgot how to play offense the rest of the game.

They’re a good defense that has not proven themselves against the better quarterbacks on their schedule for the last couple years.

Last year against Tua, Lamar, Rodgers, Allen, burrow and cousins

173/240 72% 270 ypg 18/6 td/int 104.5 rating

And the team was 0-7 in those games

Hopefully with Jack and Marcus Jones in Y2 and Gonzalez added our passing D is better.

So are you vocal about our top three draft picks being on defense? Or are you content with our free agent pickups that play offense?
The biggest improvement on the entire team that needed to happen came when they hired Bill O’Brien.

If Obie arrived last year or McD hadn’t left, they would have made the playoffs for the second year in a row.

Last edited:

It happens.
That’s what happens when your offense can only manage 3-5 plays before punting on 7 straight drives and doesn’t manage to score its first points until the third quarter is almost over.

The Bengals were a top five offense, our D started slow with some injuries, but they also forced two interceptions and gave our offense multiple chances to get off the mat.

The final tally was the 4th lowest point total scored by the best QB we faced all season… blaming the defense for 2022 is dumb.

Last edited:
The only flaw is not recognizing the NFL is such an offensive driven league now, offenses have such a massive advantage over defense due to little yellow flags… but fans like you still expect current defenses to look like great early 2000 defenses otherwise they’re not good.

Live in the now man.
I am very aware of that, considering the importance I place on the quarterback...Which youve fought me about since ive joined.

I am not expecting the defense to dominate every week, just that theyve had a 2 year trend of not being super competitive against the better teams. Doesnt mean they cant change.

I am very aware of that, considering the importance I place on the quarterback...Which youve fought me about since ive joined.

I am not expecting the defense to dominate every week, just that theyve had a 2 year trend of not being super competitive against the better teams. Doesnt mean they cant change.
They held the Bengals, the best QB they faced all season, to that teams 4th lowest scoring output. You're wrong.

This is the modern NFL, teams are going to move the ball and score.

There was no one available at 17 (or 14) for the offensive-side of the ball remotely as good a prospect as Gonzo.

White was a steal in the second.

Mapu? Don't know. But I'm pretty confident that, at that point, the guys they went after on offense were similar to anything they could have gotten there.

I didn't like ANY WRs this year in Round 1, and by the time White's pick came around, any I would have taken above him were gone.
TE's...maybe, but there was no one in the draft who would come in and be better than Gesicki or Henry FOR YEARS.

So, if you're vocal about it, show me the options YOU would have picked at those positions.

They held the Bengals, the best QB they faced all season, to that teams 4th lowest scoring output. You're wrong.

This is the modern NFL, teams are going to move the ball and score.
"youre wrong", yet I gave you the stats and I am not wrong. You just keep talking about 2 quarters of the 11 game sample i gave you over two years.

In 2022, they allowed 28ppg to the 7 teams I listed, and 14 to everybody else.

"youre wrong", yet I gave you the stats and I am not wrong. You just keep talking about 2 quarters of the 11 game sample i gave you over two years.

In 2022, they allowed 28ppg to the 7 teams I listed, and 14 to everybody else.
Cherry picking.

You're also attributing a failure of offense to our defense.

Learn how averages work... and football.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back