PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats desperately need a dynamic pass rusher

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would help if Jarvis Green could shrug off blocks from running backs.

We do need a pass rusher, but what made the Pats good when they were was that the pressure could come from any number of places. Now, our best pass rusher, hands down, is TBC.

Making totally blown coverage scarce would also be beneficial.

Last edited:

We do need a pass rusher, but what made the Pats good when they were was that the pressure could come from any number of places. Now, our best pass rusher, hands down, is TBC.

It seems as if they have dropped a lot of the exotic fronts and blitzes they used to run. I believe it was initially attributed to having so many young players in the beginning of they year but now I'm beginning to wonder.....

Either way, their defensive gameplanning has been pretty ineffective for most of the year, even in their wins.

It may also be that, even when we do blitz, no one that would be blitzing can blow up a blocking scheme anyway. When we had McGinest and Vrabel on each side with a line that could eat up blockers, people had to be concerned.

from the mouth of a rookie

Many of us have been asking that question since Belichick traded up in the draft and took Graham instead of Napolean Harris. We've done the same almost every year. Thsi year, we took Chung instead of LB like (choose one, my choice was Laurinitis). Belichick doesn't even try to draft linebackers early in the draft. He has traded for vets like Vrabel, Colvin and Thomas, so he does occasionally understand the need. This year, Belichick decided that Banta-Cain, Woods and Ninkovich were sufficient to play with Thomas who was coming back from last year's injury.

I don't get it. He coached one of the most maniacal linebackers in LT who lived to get after the QB and yet he doesn't seem to go after that type of player.

Many of us have been asking that question since Belichick traded up in the draft and took Graham instead of Napolean Harris. We've done the same almost every year. Thsi year, we took Chung instead of LB like (choose one, my choice was Laurinitis). Belichick doesn't even try to draft linebackers early in the draft. He has traded for vets like Vrabel, Colvin and Thomas, so he does occasionally understand the need. This year, Belichick decided that Banta-Cain, Woods and Ninkovich were sufficient to play with Thomas who was coming back from last year's injury.

to be fair, Laurinitis would be playing ILB and wouldn't be much of a pass rusher. Now, passing on on Clint Sintim when he was there at the 40th pick, I don't understand that

Well technically he didn't trade for Vrabel, Colvin or Thomas (all were free agents). He did however trade for Burgess who was thought to be a good pass-rusher (did have some monster years in his past). Don't think he ever thought Ninkovich was an answer. Woods has never, will never be a pass rush threat so I doubt BB thought he would help in that manner.

I think the problem is that BB really downgrades any LB prospect who is not "complete" (i.e. good vs run and pass) and sees that as bad value early in the draft. That or he has absolutely no confidence that anyone can understand his schemes properly...in which case maybe it's time to adjust the schemes if it is leading to a constant decline in talent.

The lack of attention paid to pass-rush/OLB this year in the off-season - other than TBC - was a real mystery to me. I think BB was convinced that Jason Taylor would sign or something and ended up having to pick up Burgess as an alternative.

With 3 2nd rounders, I hope that BB will finally decide to roll the dice on some pass rushing OLB's but I doubt he will.

I guess I can't complain since we have one of the best rookie classes even. But I wanted Laurinitis at 34, Sintim or a guard at 40 and Wallace instead of Tate.

This isn't hindsight, I just didn't want Chung, Brace and Tate where we drafted them, and thought at the time we could have done better. BTW, I was far from alone in this analysis.

to be fair, Laurinitis would be playing ILB and wouldn't be much of a pass rusher. Now, passing on on Clint Sintim when he was there at the 40th pick, I don't understand that

Bill O'Brien did call a terrible game tonight. That INT changed everything. We pounded it down their throats all that first drive and we go into a five wide formation on first down?! WTF was that?

BB was calling a lot of plays tonight.

I guess I can't complain since we have one of the best rookie classes even. But I wanted Laurinitis at 34, Sintim or a guard at 40 and Wallace instead of Tate.

This isn't hindsight, I just didn't want Chung, Brace and Tate where we drafted them, and thought at the time we could have done better. BTW, I was far from alone in this analysis.

While I thought Chung was a bit of a reach at 34 I didn't mind the pick. I wanted the team to try and upgrade the safety position and before the draft the team had him come in for a workout along with Delmas and Moore so I figured there would be a good chance of him being taken. The Brace pick made no sense but I loved getting Tate, seeing as he would have probably gone in the 1st round had he not gotten injured

While I thought Chung was a bit of a reach at 34 I didn't mind the pick. I wanted the team to try and upgrade the safety position and before the draft the team had him come in for a workout along with Delmas and Moore so I figured there would be a good chance of him being taken. The Brace pick made no sense but I loved getting Tate, seeing as he would have probably gone in the 1st round had he not gotten injured

Brace pick made sense because of WIlforks contract..Now it looks less sensible because Brace isn't showing up and WIlfork will have to be resigned.

Speaking of which, when was the last time Jarvis Green did anything? Or Warren, whom I like, for that matter.

The more time passes, the more I dislike the Seymour trade (and I liked it at first). If only because the other guys on the line (specifically ends) appear a lot less effective in his absence.

Well technically he didn't trade for Vrabel, Colvin or Thomas (all were free agents). He did however trade for Burgess who was thought to be a good pass-rusher (did have some monster years in his past). Don't think he ever thought Ninkovich was an answer. Woods has never, will never be a pass rush threat so I doubt BB thought he would help in that manner.

I think the problem is that BB really downgrades any LB prospect who is not "complete" (i.e. good vs run and pass) and sees that as bad value early in the draft. That or he has absolutely no confidence that anyone can understand his schemes properly...in which case maybe it's time to adjust the schemes if it is leading to a constant decline in talent.

The lack of attention paid to pass-rush/OLB this year in the off-season - other than TBC - was a real mystery to me. I think BB was convinced that Jason Taylor would sign or something and ended up having to pick up Burgess as an alternative.

With 3 2nd rounders, I hope that BB will finally decide to roll the dice on some pass rushing OLB's but I doubt he will.

Greetings,

I highly doubt he will draft pass rushing OLB's myself. But I find it funny there were many people who complained about the pass rush after the 07 season, saying it was weak. When in reality they were second in sacks that year and put a ton of pressure on QB's. Now the Pats's really have a weak pass rush, and most would do anything to have that pass rush back. If anything I would like two see two OLB's who can contribute 8, 9 or 10 sacks a piece; instead of one who gets 15. That is what made this team's tough D in the past great.

Shalom.
Celticboy04

Speaking of which, when was the last time Jarvis Green did anything? Or Warren, whom I like, for that matter.

The more time passes, the more I dislike the Seymour trade (and I liked it at first). If only because the other guys on the line (specifically ends) appear a lot less effective in his absence.

Green is really a much better situational player than he is a starter. I like him a lot but he's either lost a step or badly exposed as an every down player. Warren has been pretty quiet but then again he has never been a guy you count on to get to the QB. Stopping the run is his strength.

Not sure how much Seymour would help right now. He'd make the team better for sure, but I don't think he is the missing piece for the pass-rush.

Adalius Thomas... most over paid LB in the league?

i think so

Last edited:
Greetings,

I highly doubt he will draft pass rushing OLB's myself. But I find it funny there were many people who complained about the pass rush after the 07 season, saying it was weak. When in reality they were second in sacks that year and put a ton of pressure on QB's. Now the Pats's really have a weak pass rush, and most would do anything to have that pass rush back. If anything I would like two see two OLB's who can contribute 8, 9 or 10 sacks a piece; instead of one who gets 15. That is what made this team's tough D in the past great.

Shalom.
Celticboy04
Pats also had a record setting offense in 07 so teams were forced to throw against us.

And we all wanted OLBs back then because we knew Vrabel/Colvin/A.Thomas were getting old.

Greetings,

Shalom.
Celticboy04

The pass rush in the 2007 was inconsistent. They racked up a lot of sacks because they had huge leads on teams and forced the other team to constantly throw the ball. A lot of Vrabel's sacks in particular came in garbage time in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.

That said, it is glaringly obvious that BB needs to revamp this teams pass-rush in the off-season. He has shown he is willing to spend the $$ on guys to do it (Colvin, Thomas). Unfortunately he hasn't had the results due to injuries or whatever Thomas' deal has been

Green is really a much better situational player than he is a starter. I like him a lot but he's either lost a step or badly exposed as an every down player. Warren has been pretty quiet but then again he has never been a guy you count on to get to the QB. Stopping the run is his strength.

Not sure how much Seymour would help right now. He'd make the team better for sure, but I don't think he is the missing piece for the pass-rush.

We got the best we could for Seymour...We were not going to resign him next year and we got a 1st for him. Can't complain. We do need to draft his replacement though.

Hell, I'd take Seymour back if only for what he brings for the rush defense. That is, a heck of a lot more than Green or Wright does.

Last edited:
Adalius Thomas... most over paid LB in the league?

i think so

Overpaid, but not even close to the most overpaid. As long as Vernon Gholston is collecting huge paychecks, Thomas never has to worry about being the most overpaid :p

seymour would have been a big help wilfork is great but they put him on he's B.U.T in this game

as bad as oakland is i have yet to see any 2 guy's put seymour on the floor like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe