PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats desperately need a dynamic pass rusher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is nobody mentioning my name?

I want OUT OF CAROLINA!

I think a first rounder would buy me.:)

Probably because we don't want to give you a 5 year deal and pay you 15 mill per for your last 2 seasons when you are old and suck.

3) Wonder how we are not getting more sacks when we traded our 8 sack de away and replaced with rushing OLB who cannot sack.

The Pats didn't trade an 8 sack LB. They traded Vrabel who is a 1 sack broken down old shell of the great LB he once was.

Probably because we don't want to give you a 5 year deal and pay you 15 mill per for your last 2 seasons when you are old and suck.

you will see how old I am come later this month.

Sorry in advance to Tom, but I have to show Coach Bellichet what Im worth.

Funny thread .

lets see last year we had avg pass rush so the plan to improve over offseason was.

1)Trade your leading sack leader - seymour - done
2)Sign banta and trade for burgess .Banta - 5 sacks and burgess no idea probabily 0 or 1 - done
3) Wonder how we are not getting more sacks when we traded our 8 sack de away and replaced with rushing OLB who cannot sack.

I know 2011 draft will be intresting but can anyone tell me if we had a DE who has 5 sacks now will be totally bummed and disappointed during draft time in 2011.

Green was getting blocked by a RB and wright was taken care by a gaurd. Vince was doubled and 2 guys on warren meant they had 2 blocker free to pick up what ever we send.
no pass rush.

The 2011 draft is looking like we will be going after a wide reciever with guys like Julio Jones, A.J Green and Michael Floyd and with Randy Moss getting older and going into free agency at the end of next season. All of these guys will go within the top 15 and with the curret state of the Raiders, I think we will have a top 10 pick, so that is the direction I think we will go in.

I believed the Seymour trade was the right move to make at time for the following reasons:

#1. Seymour is aging (30 in a month), and has had injury issues in the past.

#2. Seymour along with Wilfork, Green, Faulk, Neal, Bodden, Mankins, Hanson, Alexander, Guyton, BJGE, Pryor, and others are FA after 2009, the money available because Seymour is gone can be used to resign some of the more critical ones, and pay for new FA's as well.

#3. Seymour was going to try and get a life time achievement contract, or be a very upset hombre about being franchised again (any player can be franchised twice, and he already was once).

The team is somewhat weaker this year in Seymour's absence, but, it is probably going to a good deal stronger going forward. BB doesn't want 3 17-2 teams sandwiched around a bunch of 9-7's and 6-10's. He want's 12-4+ every year. That's what his mind set was when making that deal.

At the time, Burgess and Jarvis Green were viewed step in and do a fine job. People forget that Seymour missed the first 6 games of the 2007 season. The person who filled in during that time was Jarvis Green, and he did a great job. Seymour is extremely injury-prone, and although he's a Pro Bowl DE, his best days are behind him. Both of which have been horrid this season and haven't worked out at all. Green with 0 sacks and Burgess with 2 sacks. This has not work out in the least.

The Patriots could go their usual route of trying to upgrade their team through multiple second rounders, but I think that they need to bring in a real defensive difference maker through the draft this upcoming April. It's no secret that the Pats aren't getting pressure on the opposing QB enough this season. Seymour may have helped that problem quite a bit, but I would still make that trade every day of the week. You can't pass up a guaranteed top 10 pick. But I digress.

I believe that the Pats should target Greg Hardy from Ole Miss. He's projected by many to go in the top 20, which means that the Pats would have to try to trade up. I think this kid will be an absolute stud. He's 6-5, 265 pounds, and has apparently been clocked at 4.67 seconds in the 40 yard dash. Now, he has some injury problems, but I honestly think he could be worth the risk. He's probably the best DE coming out this April.

I think they should draft for the 4-3. I believe they only changed to the 3-4 because of the Seymour trade. If the Pats draft a premier pass rusher, they would probably go back to running the 4-3.

You could also address a little bit through free agent agency. Will we have to resign Wilfork and then go after another D-Lineman such as Johnny Jolly or Tony Brown are a couple under the radar guys who have had great years this year and would fit right in with the 4-3.

I would love to be able to snag Hardy in the first round, then snag Sergio Kindle out of Texas in the 2nd round, where is projected to drop. Thomas should be gone.

It may take this unit another season or two to be able to get it together and be affective, but at least we are on the right path.

The Pats didn't trade an 8 sack LB. They traded Vrabel who is a 1 sack broken down old shell of the great LB he once was.

repeat after me seymour is a DE and he had 8 sacks last year. and guess what he lead the league in sacks for a 3-4 DE.....

I wouldn't expect many changes. We haven't extended our best DL yet so it's hard to envision going out and getting an elite rusher in FA. The draft is another option, but development is hit or miss. Lately it's been more miss.

Of the 12 players drafted this year, 8 are currently on the team, 1 was injured in the spring and was IRed, 1 was Pupped, returned, and then IRed, 1 was IRed after TC and one was cut and signed to the Practice Squad.

Of the 7 drafted last year, 1 is the starting MLB, 1 is a starting CB, 2 are seeing extended time on special teams. and 1 is on the IR.

By my count, that is 17 of 19 who are still with the team and 13 who are making contributions..

Only the 2007 draft, where the Pats netted Meriweather, is the one that was a lot of misses. But its also a draft that the Patriots didn't care for the talent available as a whole.

The 2011 draft is looking like we will be going after a wide reciever with guys like Julio Jones, A.J Green and Michael Floyd and with Randy Moss getting older and going into free agency at the end of next season. All of these guys will go within the top 15 and with the curret state of the Raiders, I think we will have a top 10 pick, so that is the direction I think we will go in.

I believed the Seymour trade was the right move to make at time for the following reasons:

#2. Seymour along with Wilfork, Green, Faulk, Neal, Bodden, Mankins, Hanson, Alexander, Guyton, BJGE, Pryor, and others are FA after 2009, the money available because Seymour is gone can be used to resign some of the more critical ones, and pay for new FA's as well.

#3. Seymour was going to try and get a life time achievement contract, or be a very upset hombre about being franchised again (any player can be franchised twice, and he already was once).

The team is somewhat weaker this year in Seymour's absence, but, it is probably going to a good deal stronger going forward. BB doesn't want 3 17-2 teams sandwiched around a bunch of 9-7's and 6-10's. He want's 12-4+ every year. That's what his mind set was when making that deal.

At the time, Burgess and Jarvis Green were viewed step in and do a fine job. People forget that Seymour missed the first 6 games of the 2007 season. The person who filled in during that time was Jarvis Green, and he did a great job. Seymour is extremely injury-prone, and although he's a Pro Bowl DE, his best days are behind him. Both of which have been horrid this season and haven't worked out at all. Green with 0 sacks and Burgess with 2 sacks. This has not work out in the least.

The Patriots could go their usual route of trying to upgrade their team through multiple second rounders, but I think that they need to bring in a real defensive difference maker through the draft this upcoming April. It's no secret that the Pats aren't getting pressure on the opposing QB enough this season. Seymour may have helped that problem quite a bit, but I would still make that trade every day of the week. You can't pass up a guaranteed top 10 pick. But I digress.

I believe that the Pats should target Greg Hardy from Ole Miss. He's projected by many to go in the top 20, which means that the Pats would have to try to trade up. I think this kid will be an absolute stud. He's 6-5, 265 pounds, and has apparently been clocked at 4.67 seconds in the 40 yard dash. Now, he has some injury problems, but I honestly think he could be worth the risk. He's probably the best DE coming out this April.

I think they should draft for the 4-3. I believe they only changed to the 3-4 because of the Seymour trade. If the Pats draft a premier pass rusher, they would probably go back to running the 4-3.

You could also address a little bit through free agent agency. Will we have to resign Wilfork and then go after another D-Lineman such as Johnny Jolly or Tony Brown are a couple under the radar guys who have had great years this year and would fit right in with the 4-3.

I would love to be able to snag Hardy in the first round, then snag Sergio Kindle out of Texas in the 2nd round, where is projected to drop. Thomas should be gone.

It may take this unit another season or two to be able to get it together and be affective, but at least we are on the right path.

In point #2, you have Myron Pryor as a FA after this yr?

How in the world is that possible? We just drafted him last yr?

Great, we will have a chance at the 2012 Super Bowl after our 2011 draft choice has had a year to develop. Perhaps it would have been better to have focused on 2009 needs. Do we really think that Belichick will not get us sufficient draft choices for 2011.

you will see how old I am come later this month.

Sorry in advance to Tom, but I have to show Coach Bellichet what Im worth.

:trolls::trolls::trolls::trolls::trolls:

I guess I can't complain since we have one of the best rookie classes even. But I wanted Laurinitis at 34, Sintim or a guard at 40 and Wallace instead of Tate.

This isn't hindsight, I just didn't want Chung, Brace and Tate where we drafted them, and thought at the time we could have done better. BTW, I was far from alone in this analysis.

As you say, we can't complain. And time will tell how some of these guys turn out (Brace, Tate and McKenzie, among others).

We all had our favorities, for better or worse. I too was big on the Mike Wallace bandwagon, as were several people. He was discussed at length on this board.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/223798-mike-wallace-wr-returner.html

I think Tate will be fine for us in the long run, but when the Steelers took Wallace one pick later I had a sinking feeling.

Then again, I desperately wanted Connecticut OT William Beatty, and would have been ok with him at 23 and elated to get him at 34. He was available at 58, and we "reached" for Sebastian Vollmer instead. And look what he's become for us. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if he turns out to be the best draft pick the Pats have made since Tom Brady, and worth the whole draft.

Of the 12 players drafted this year, 8 are currently on the team, 1 was injured in the spring and was IRed, 1 was Pupped, returned, and then IRed, 1 was IRed after TC and one was cut and signed to the Practice Squad.

Of the 7 drafted last year, 1 is the starting MLB, 1 is a starting CB, 2 are seeing extended time on special teams. and 1 is on the IR.

By my count, that is 17 of 19 who are still with the team and 13 who are making contributions..

Only the 2007 draft, where the Pats netted Meriweather, is the one that was a lot of misses. But its also a draft that the Patriots didn't care for the talent available as a whole.

Agreed.

Too bad BB didn't like LaMarr Woodley enough to trade up to the 2nd round to get him. A young, pass-rushing OLB would be nice right now.

Agreed.

Too bad BB didn't like LaMarr Woodley enough to trade up to the 2nd round to get him. A young, pass-rushing OLB would be nice right now.

Oh god, the agony. :eek: Part of our problem is that our D-line is pretty bad. The only person who worries the other team is Vince.

Relatively OT:
I think so-called value in picks is way overrated. If you draft a guy in the 2nd round who is projected as a 5th rounder and he turns out to be a hall of famer, who the hell cares where Mel Kiper projected him?

Not one analyst thought Mario Williams was worth drafting at #1, and he is a beast. Waaaaay better than Vince Young, Matt Leinart or Reggie Bush.

Nah. Brees was getting the ball out early all game, roll-outs, etc. Pass rush was not the problem. Brees took advantage of over aggressive safety play all day. Add to that an OC that has zero feel for the rhythm of the game and you have 38-17 even though the teams are fairly evenly matched talent-wise.

Agree 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye