PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats - Colts Divisional Round Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you serious? When I watch our defense, receivers are always open. When did BB change this?

And yet the Pats defense only allowed 57% of passes against to be completed. 4th best in the NFL.

Before we usually had to go through Indy with Peyton to advance. Now it looks like we might have to get past both Indy AND Peyton. Definitely getting tougher. Hope Brady's up for the challenge.

I don't know about that. Mathis is the non d-bag version of suggs when it comes to pressure on brady.

Suggs was one of many problems on those Ravens D's.

Mathis is the only ONE on the Colts.

Surely you must recognize that the Bengals had the best D of the AFC teams? The dominant opposing D has been what has prevented the elusive 4th ring. Now, the Patriots will not face one until the Super Bowl...if they make it that far.

That is a good thing.

How was Hilton so wide open on the final TD? KC didn't get a good pass rush so I assumed they had extra players in coverage and Hilton STILL got behind the secondary. That was nuts.

But its a different game in cold weather, on the road and facing a team that had two weeks to prepare for you and two weeks of rest.

maybe its me but I dont see guys running free with McCourty back there. we've done pretty good to shut down the deep throws.

if Talib can shut down hilton(or do you put him on the TE fleener) we have a good chance of disrupting their offense.

brady should be able to torch that defense if KC was able to...BUT I dont want this game to be a shoot out. if I'm the pats I go on nice long drives using Blount/Ridley and limit the amount of touches Luck gets

Are you serious? When I watch our defense, receivers are always open. When did BB change this?
This game is scary. I am hoping for conditions to affect Luck. I want it to be coooooooolllld.

This is the best secondary since 2003.

If this team needs to go thru Luck and Manning it has the talent to cover and give the pass rush another 1/2 a second to get to the QB.

I agree.

Particularly we should rename McCourty "Hilton Top" this week.

Have Dennard or even Ryan on Hilton with McCourty haunting the hell out of him from behind.
I'm comfortable with either Dennard or Ryan shadowing Hilton with McCourty over the top. That leaves Talib for Fleener and Dennard/Ryan/Arrington/whoever else for Heyward-Bey/Brazil/Rogers.

If the DL and LBers do their part, the Patriots have some good looking match ups in the Secondary. It'll be an interesting game to watch.

from what I gather, aren't the colts defense small? might be a good ground/pound game. although their secondary seems suspect as well. alex smith tore them up

The Pats open a 7.5 point favorites against the Colts. I guess Vegas thinks the betters aren't as worried about Luck as some are on this board.

2007 NYG
2009 Ravens
2010 NYJ
2011 NYG
2012 Ravens

I apologize for the painful history lesson, but shouldn't it be obvious to us that the Defense with a dominant front line has been the Achilles heel of the Patriots? It is NOT the scary opposing offense.

The Bengals were the only Defense in the AFC that could be argued to fit into the above list.

Good riddance to the Bengals.

There is not a Defense left in the AFC that should stifle Brady's offense. THAT is a good thing.

The NFC teams, on the other hand....:eek:

Those teams that lost to the ravens, giants, jets didn't have as many injuries as the current team. However, I agree with you - teams with strong D-lines are what gives brady trouble.

as for the NFC, we've faced the saints and panthers and played well in both games. SF and Seattle will be tough, but we may not even play them if we get to the SB.

The Pats open a 7.5 point favorites against the Colts. I guess Vegas thinks the betters aren't as worried about Luck as some are on this board.

It goes without saying that I trust the insights of those on this board more than those of the betting public.

It goes without saying that I trust the insights of those on this board more than those of the betting public.

But what if this board is the betting public?? :eek:

IDK, there are some people on this board that I would trust their opinion over most analysts and others who I wouldn't trust to tell me if it is sunny outside or not.

I like the look of that Colts secondary. They look primed for a Brady Strike.

I don't get the Luck fear. He is about average, maybe worse, of what is supposed to be left at this stage of the playoffs.
I know everyone envisions future greatness but today he is a 2nd year QB who has been good not great. Not sure why anyone is talking about him in terms of a bad luck draw. He is possibly the worst of the remaining AFC QBs and at best 3rd of 4.

Calling him the worst isn't saying much considering Brady, Manning, and Rivers are top 5 QBs.

Luck is right outside at 6th in the entire league.

Calling him the worst isn't saying much considering Brady, Manning, and Rivers are top 5 QBs.

Luck is right outside at 6th in the entire league.

If you are in the round of 8, why would you be afraid of facing the 6th best?
That's basically my point.

I won't argue your rating of Luck (or overrating of Rivers) because if I accept it, my point is made.

vegas doesn't think indy will be a problem. early lines are at pats -7. I have no idea on how the game will turn out and it's a good thing I don't gamble.

Another item of note: Greg Toler and Vontae Davis were both wounded ducks on the field yesterday. Couple that with LaRon "Cheap Shot" Landry's concussion like symptoms and we are playing a deflated defense (much like ourselves) except, they are much younger with virtually no experience. Containing Mathis could go a long way, especially if Tommy has all day to throw.

Also, back to the Jeremy Kerley reference, I see a lot of similarities with Hilton down to their heights (5'9!) but I think Patricia and BB game plan the hell of out him.

Thank you! It took EIGHTY posts for someone to point out that the Colts secondary was an absolute catastrophe yesterday against Alex Smith. Knile Davis, Alex Smith and Dwayne Bowe hung 44 on them in their spot. Brady is going to absolutely dissect the Inianapolis Efense---see what I did there? There's no D on the Colts. Mathis or bust for them.

I hope Trent Richardson is on the field a lot too. The more Trent the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes